E10 in 1991 BMW

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my BMW on the road after 2 years in storage, and just filled up with my first tank of E10 regular 87.

My Owners manual only says "do not use fuel with excessive amounts of alcohol"

Is E10 safe in a 91, and if not what kind of issues would it cause?

Generally ethanol content of less than 10% won't cause issues. Higher concentrations are where the problems arise. Ideally use most of the tank and add fuel stabilizer before storing it again for significant amounts of time, since ethanol blends can degrade, form deposits, and absorb moisture over time.

If it wasn’t run with ethanol in it before it might plug up the fuel filter cleaning the junk out of the system. I have had that happen a couple of times.

Originally Posted By: VeryNoisyPoet
Generally ethanol content of less than 10% won't cause issues. Higher concentrations are where the problems arise. Ideally use most of the tank and add fuel stabilizer before storing it again for significant amounts of time, since ethanol blends can degrade, form deposits, and absorb moisture over time.

I have been storing it with premium ethanol free, and will continue that

The fuel in IL has been e10 as long as I can remember. My family has used it in several e28's and e30's with no real issues. You're due for fuel hoses anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back