Car battery the same size as mower battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for an automotive battery the size of a u1 garden tractor battery. The reason being the tractor batteries seem to have such a short warranty of 3-6months. I need to buy a battery today so if I can't find an auto battery then I'll have to buy a tractor battery. I tried searching online but couldn't find an auto battery that fit.

how much room do you have to work with? Which dimension, if any, can you go larger than a U1?

You will also have to make different terminals.

It may not be worth the hassle.

My old normal tractor battery has lasted for at least 5 years without charging over the winter. Tractor always started in spring. I thought about the battery terminals being different. I just thought I would see what's out there as far as automotive batterys. Any recommendations on brands for tractor batteries. Should I just go with the cheapest I can find?

ANY tractor battery should last 5 years if you put a battery minder on it occasionally. The U1 is $29 at Walmart and Sams Club. I think you are over thinking this. $29 every 4 to 5 years sounds reasonable to me.

Yep, and you can get 5 of them for the price of the Miata AGM battery.

Spend the coin on a tender and see if you can get the batteries to last longer.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
ANY tractor battery should last 5 years if you put a battery minder on it occasionally. The U1 is $29 at Walmart and Sams Club. I think you are over thinking this.

If you are going to buy a tractor battery, I have found the best strategy is to go with the cheapest that you can find.
I have had a $46. John Deere last one year and have had a $19. battery from Wally World last 7.
Four to five years seem to be the average for me.
I have been using Rural King batteries (Exide) and getting 4-5 years from them for between $12-14. (after rebate at the beginning of the season) and got five years from the last one. Since they appear to be an inexpensively constructed product with minimal warranty, I can't justify spending big bucks for them.

51 or 51R depending on the layout of everything.

Wal-Mart has a smaller one, but I can’t remember the number.

They’re all the same price so get the biggest that fits.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
51 or 51R depending on the layout of everything.

Wal-Mart has a smaller one, but I can’t remember the number.

They’re all the same price so get the biggest that fits.

151 is the even smaller battery btw.

Unregulated alternator systems tend to overcharge and burn up the battery. This type system is found on simple mowers that don't have an electric blade clutch. Since the battery is used only for starting, I have been disconnecting the alternator entirely and recharging with a small automatic charger after use.

I ended up buying a duralast gold 425ca tractor battery. It was $50 but I got that one because it added another point to my rewards card and my tractor has a 3cyl diesel so the extra cranking amps will help when it's cold.

Out at camp I have three tractor batteries. One in the lawn tractor and the other two in my boats for fish finders. I leave them connected to solar panels all winter and they're usually good to go in the spring. I get 6 to 10 years out of them by topping them up and keeping them charged.

In town, we leave our two vehicles for five months hooked up to one battery tender. They fire up no problem when we get back. Those full size batteries are ten years old and still very healthy. They get topped up as required. A bit of maintenance will go a long way to improve battery life.

Get an agm battery ment for generators in that u1size. I think interstate makes one. I don’t know a part number of hand. We had to get one a few years back for a generator the previous maitenance guys keep using the cheap lawnmower ones in. The trickle charger on the generator kept burning them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back