Year-Round Sale of E15 Gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Must be to keep up corn consumption when the great trade war of '18 starts. Noticed constant ads on radio from Poet pushing this on a recent trip to Texas, although I guess most was on satellite radio.

Hasn't E15 been in the works for a long while now?

Iowa was at the table, looks like there's a balance of what's good for farmers and refiners.

Not sure what's best for either is also best for my car...

Doesn't look like this does too much. I didn't know you couldn't buy E15 in summer in some places. Race Tracs sell E15 around here but it's only $.05 cheaper than E10. Pass.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Hasn't E15 been in the works for a long while now?

Iowa was at the table, looks like there's a balance of what's good for farmers and refiners.

Not sure what's best for either is also best for my car...

It was pushed a while ago. It was thought that E15 was ok for cars made after 2001, but some automakers pushed back and said it wouldn't be good for their 2001+ cars so it kinda got tabled. It's been a few years now so maybe 2001+ isn't as important anymore as those cars age out of the fleet over time anyway.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Most cars say you can't go over E10. This won't end well.

Have you ever used 88 octane gas?

If so you probably bought e15

We’ve had the stuff since 2004 on and off

In my cars I seem to gain a couple mpgs on the stuff and it’s 5 -10 cents cheaper per gallon

I am confused by this. E15 has been available year round around here for a couple of years. Kum and gos have been putting pumps in all over for it.

I am not sure what the new benefit to refiners is. They have already been getting paid enough to blend it that they are increasing capacity to move it through the terminals.

Originally Posted By: Rmay635703

In my cars I seem to gain a couple mpgs on the stuff and it’s 5 -10 cents cheaper per gallon
How are you getting better mpgs with less energy per gallon vs E10?

here all regular grades of gasoline are upto 10% ethanol
and e85 is up to 85% (approximately)

IIRC they usually make e15 at the pump by blending

so since they are all UP TO % I'm not sure anyone knows exactly what they are buying.

Originally Posted By: hatt

My work truck gets better mileage with e10 verses e0.

If people have the option for E15, I feel that I should have the option to get E0 at the pump. OPE, boats, and cars manufactured before 2001 should not be using ethanol. This really does infuriate me.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig

My work truck gets better mileage with e10 verses e0.
How long did you track this?

How long did you track this?

2 to 3 tank fulls at various times over the last year over 40k miles. All the times I was checking this was in the same type of driving conditions. Every time I put in premium e0 it dropped at least 2 almost 3 mpg. I wasn’t very scientific to give you accurate numbers but it was good enough to tell that there was a decrease in mileage. The few times I could get e10 93 octane it was looking like it was going to be closer to the e0 91 octane mpg but never Could get more than one consecutive tank full of it. This was in a 2016 2500 Silverado with the 6.0 flex fuel.

In my 2011 1500 5.3 flex fuel Silverado I had about a 2 mpg increase in mileage going from e10 to e0. Complete opposite of my work truck.

Probably not statistically significant and he's not controlling for all other factors. I normally get 18-22mpg on my car and worst case is 16, best is 24. Just depends on the type of driving and the weather. Same E10 all the time.

Originally Posted By: Dorian
If people have the option for E15, I feel that I should have the option to get E0 at the pump. OPE, boats, and cars manufactured before 2001 should not be using ethanol. This really does infuriate me.

Stewarts sells E0 in their 91 octane by me. Isnt there a site you can go on to find all the stations?

Never had a fuel issue in any equipment using E10.

I tried e0 in my f150 for 5 tanks last year. Unscientific test but there was no statistically significant mileage gain vs e10. So I went back to not worrying about it.

Yes, the E15/88 Octane fuels are showing up more and more in this market. Kwik trip in particular likes to show this as the "low fuel price" on their sign, then hits you or another 5 cents a gallon if you only want regular E10 87 octane... Its become annoying to keep track of what product is what these days.

Many Holiday stations appear to have added the same Super 88 Octane /E15 blend, but the labeling on their pumps hasn't been all that great in my mind.

I've tried E15 in my 2016 F150 (desgined for it an allowed per the owners manual). Based on decreased fuel mileage we'll pass next time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back