2010 Traverse 3.6L/ 5,026 VWB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Latest.
Was curious about the iron levels to see if my timing chain is wearing.
I've always suspected that higher iron #'s, points to timing chain wear. (any truth to that?)

How about the Magnesium? Big jump ?
This engine has used nothing but Valvoline Conventional 5W-30

Though I have had to add more makeup oil in the 5,000 intervals.

Magnesium-based detergents are fairly common in motor oils, but I'm honestly surprised to see it in VWB.
Lots of synths and blends that went from dexos1 to dexos1 Gen 2 licenses showed decreases in calcium levels along with increases in magnesium levels...some flavors of M1 have used mixes of calcium and magnesium detergents for several years, though.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Magnesium-based detergents are fairly common in motor oils, but I'm honestly surprised to see it in VWB.
Lots of synths and blends that went from dexos1 to dexos1 Gen 2 licenses showed decreases in calcium levels along with increases in magnesium levels...some flavors of M1 have used mixes of calcium and magnesium detergents for several years, though.

Which is why i dont use anything DEXOS in my 9 year old car

Wear number aren't bad, but I'd worry about the steady increase in oil consumption a bit.

I would try a thicker oil for an interval, just to see what happens. Or a high-mileage one.

It would appear that your most recent fill of VWB was formulater to meet the new SN+ API Spec which would explain the lowest Sodium and Calcium reported on the report, and the highest Magnesium, Zinc and Phosphorus. Looks like a different oil all together, likely because it is. Overall nice report.

Originally Posted By: rbarrios
Latest.
I've always suspected that higher iron #'s, points to timing chain wear. (any truth to that?)

I thought that 2010 was one of the years that those engine ate timing chains due to bad design and metallurgy? Have your been replaced? My 2013 traverse was still hard on oil but they had fixed the timing chain issues by then.

I don't understand how your vehicle has gotten to the point that you have to add 2 quarts in a 5k interval. Your TBN looked ok for a 5K interval in the first UOA. Maybe your riding style (hwy vs city) has changed, or you didn't change the oil after these UOAs? I'm confused

Time for some Maxlife to see if that helps with consumption. Or at a minimum top it off with Maxlife. Since it's trending up. Also replace the pcv valve(s).

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Time for some Maxlife to see if that helps with consumption. Or at a minimum top it off with Maxlife. Since it's trending up. Also replace the pcv valve(s).
Great advice. Its old enough to check the PCV and benefit from Valv MaxLife.
Originally Posted By: double vanos
That iron isn’t high enough to indicate much timing chain wear IMHO.
Very true. This engine is beating the Universal Average by a lot!

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

With the massive amount of make-up oil, that's to be expected.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
It would appear that your most recent fill of VWB was formulater to meet the new SN+ API Spec which would explain the lowest Sodium and Calcium reported on the report, and the highest Magnesium, Zinc and Phosphorus. Looks like a different oil all together, likely because it is. Overall nice report.

Did this change take place about a year ago?
The bottle- had a decal on it- from when I picked it up at WalMart. (buy online- pick up in store).
It was almost 1 yr to the day of the oil change.

Several days ago I picked up a new VWB.. and the bottle has been changed a bit. Still white.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Latest.

I thought that 2010 was one of the years that those engine ate timing chains due to bad design and metallurgy? Have your been replaced? My 2013 traverse was still hard on oil but they had fixed the timing chain issues by then.

Im still on the factory timing chains.
2009s were the ones that were really bad.
2010s supposedly had some tweak- as they were not part of chain warranty extension to 10 yrs/120,000.

Originally Posted By: Brian553
I don't understand how your vehicle has gotten to the point that you have to add 2 quarts in a 5k interval. Your TBN looked ok for a 5K interval in the first UOA. Maybe your riding style (hwy vs city) has changed, or you didn't change the oil after these UOAs? I'm confused

Im curious about this too.
My driving has changed in the last year or so.
My daily commute was 18 miles in the AM, 18 miles in the PM. Doing 55 on the hwy on good days.

Now- its about 5 miles in the am- hop on the train.... 7 miles in the PM (pick up kids from school).
So its a short drive in the morning with more red lights to the train station- and engine does not get as hot.

The other thing Ive been pondering-- and something I read...
Is that carbon could have been loosened up and ended up in the pistons-- and scratched the walls.
In the last year- I did do one of those Carbon cleanings where you let it soak for an hour and then drive.

already did the mod where you drill the holes bigger on the PCV.
4 oil changes later and no oil has been found in the breather tube.
Pre drilling, there was always oil in the tube- not much- but there was.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
That iron isn’t high enough to indicate much timing chain wear IMHO.

this is what I was hoping for.
As these models mileage rises, seeing more folks on forums with the 2010 Traverse/Acadia/Enclaves reporting timing chain replacements.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

here are the earlier UOA

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

My goal was to run this engine with nothing but Valvoline Conventional....

I went and looked at the Maxlife info... and it has the following- that VWB conventional does not...

-Seal conditioners to help seal leaks (my engine has no external engine oil leaks by the way)
-Lower volatility to help reduce oil consumption (oil burning).
-Increased protection against deposits and sludge
-Enhanced anti wear system
-Synthetic Blend.

I guess I will head to the store and begin using Maxlife as my make up oil.

That sound good?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

here are the earlier UOA

So this, with your current trend, iron seems to be all over the map, which is unusual. Do you always run the same oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back