Do Roaches Eat Oil Filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They seem to have been chewing the box. The AC Delco one I have in storage has plastic film over the base which is tight-fitting and would keep them out, but the local brand filter has a rigid transparent lid which doesnt fit so well.

been meaning to pre-oil them, and I suppose this might be another reason to do it. Just need to score a suitable oilproof container.

Keep them stored in hard sealed plastic containers. Roaches like to eat cardboard and brown paper bags. So be careful what you bring into the house and garage.

Decent zip loc bags should do the trick. We used them for a variety of things while we were in that region.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Keep them stored in hard sealed plastic containers. Roaches like to eat cardboard and brown paper bags. So be careful what you bring into the house and garage.

Why is this SS?
When I lived in FL. there were, what I call cock roaches, that would fly. But, the locals call them PALMETTO BUGS. HATT, you live in FL. Do you know of these "ROACHES?"

When I think of a Cockroach I think of the large ones that can fly and look sort of like Scarabs.

In reality, the ones around here are German Cockroaches and I have only seen a few of them that I can remember.

When I think of a roach, the first thing that comes to mind is not an insect.

La Cucaracha!

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

Why is this SS?
When I lived in FL. there were, what I call cock roaches, that would fly. But, the locals call them PALMETTO BUGS. HATT, you live in FL. Do you know of these "ROACHES?"

I live up North, Wayne. That's about all I know about them with out researching them further. Which I prefer not to do.
smile.gif

Roaches love the glue on boxes. Back when we owned a Bar we had to watch our beer deliveries as the roaches would hitch a ride on the beer truck.
Pain to get rid of once they make it in to your place of business.

Put the filters in ziplock bags. Then put the filters in a deep freezer for 2 days to kill any off that might be inside.

They might at least try the filters if the box is tasty. At any rate, you wouldn't want them dying inside the filter.

I would seal the filters up in some kind of plastic bag.

FYI, I found a colony of ants and either larva or eggs in a cabin air filter stored in my shed. It was a used one, luckily. I had put it back into the box, planning to run it for the worst few weeks of pollen season.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Are you sure it isn’t silverfish eating the boxes?

Could be, I suppose. Get them here too, of course, but not quite so ubiquitous.

Adult cockroaches wouldn't get past the plastic seal on the base, and are probably too big to get inside the filter anyway (the car specs very tiny filters), but when they hatch they are very small. Judging by the way they colonise cardboard boxes (they seem to especially like the corrugated type) I'd think they might find an oil filter quite cosy unless the paper is treated with something that, by coincidence, repels them.

Should have thought of it before.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
Taiwan is probably more developed than we are!!!

Certainly has generally more "advanced" air pollution.

Originally Posted By: Donald
And mice like Toyota wiring. Mice around me prefer the Subaru over my pickup.

They like Kia/Hyundai wiring too. They use peanut oil in the insulation. Easy life hack is to spray under the hood and any other wiring with peppermint oil. Mice can’t stand it.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Decent zip loc bags should do the trick. We used them for a variety of things while we were in that region.

Not a big fan of ziplocks. Don't find them very reliable.

GF insists on packing clothes in them, to protect them from the damp and stop them going musty. I think this is an illusion.

IMO to avoid mildew on clothes here they need to be hung with good air circulation, (which of course takes up a lot of space, a good reason not to have many clothes) and even then there'll be some. Rainy season just started and RH is probably about 99.9% (Actually only 76% by the weather report, but I'm not sure I believe them.)

I put the filters in knotted plastic bags. Deep freeze idea is a good one except they'll probably get damp when I take them out again, but I suppose they are small enough to leave in until I do an OC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back