FTC warns Hyundai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warranties are sales tools,pure and simple.They all try to weasel out of claims.Dont buy a vehicle just based on warranty.Usually its used to put "piece of mind" in a potential customers mind,whereas competitor "X" might offer a lesser coverage,thus making the sale for the longer plan.See...sales tool.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Warranties are sales tools,pure and simple.They all try to weasel out of claims.Dont buy a vehicle just based on warranty.Usually its used to put "piece of mind" in a potential customers mind,whereas competitor "X" might offer a lesser coverage,thus making the sale for the longer plan.See...sales tool.

It also makes it seem like the vehicle is higher quality. Mitsubishi has a long warranty here and I think that is the only way they sell cars. Many people make decisions based solely upon how they look on paper.

Would never understand why some people like buying anything that is not Japanese or at least American. My humble and somewhat polarizing opinion.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Yep, america's worst warranty.

So far it has been good. The first week after purchasing brake booster was recalled. I was aware of it and called my dealership to replace. I was told I would have to wait for every Elantra on the lot to have it replaced 1st. When I bought my Elantra that was 204 vehicles. I called MyHyundai customer service and they said no problem. They set an appointment. Dealership changed it in 1 hour a few days later.

I am prepared to fight if warranty work is not handled properly.

The warranty has been pretty good to me overall Having either owned or worked on(relatives) a total of around 6 hyundais.

I have seen everything.

a transmission that had 10/100000mile warranty and the transmission wouldnt shift... wasnt covered..

other oddball issues I really had to fight for..
such as 2 bad wheel bearings at 6000 miles.

I saw them questioning and denying people while waiting on service.

I saw them send in samples from a transmission before replacing it..

Meanwhile on the subaru the dealer installed fresh wiper blades because mine were streaking after 2.5years.

The hatred without reading the article is pure comedy. Especially coming from those who have no experience with any product discussed. Especially when other, even Japanese companies have been cited in other articles regarding this warning.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
Would never understand why some people like buying anything that is not Japanese or at least American. My humble and somewhat polarizing opinion.

The masses will be fine, I'm sure.

The warranty has been stellar for me and other Hyundai owners i know.

From the linked article, Hyundai had this statement on their website, which FTC didn't like and I agree with them:
Quote:
“The use of Hyundai Genuine Parts is required to keep your Hyundai manufacturer’s warranties and any extended warranties intact.”

It's pretty clear to me what is says and there is no reason to believe that Hyundai didn't use this for denying some warranty claims, otherwise they would not have put it there, despite individual experience.
I even remember reading posts here mentioning the use of Hyundai oil filter to keep the warranty intact.

How about for the toys? Paid 18k for a used German E-350 that listed for 68k when it was new. Fun to drive, has some nice touches that are standard like 3 position memory seats. Lots of options too. And to some people, money isn't really that big an issue.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Yep, america's worst warranty.

Warranty has been great, only used maybe twice. No issues, took it in and it was repaired no hassle. Love the warranty.

Who else is offering 100k warranty?

My Elantra came from an Alabama plant.

My humble and polarizing opinion is why waste your money on rather awful car like Versa when for the same money a slightly used Nissan Altima which is a superior vehicle in every measure is available. Was it for the short lived warranty?

I have rented the Versa and what a terrible car compared to Altima I ocassioanlly get as free upgrade.

Sorry, but my Korean Sonata will no doubt, hands down, definitely live a much longer life and will require much less work to get there than your Impala.

It's like any other make, it's all about the dealership-if you get a good one, keep using them & buying from them. Unfortunately there seems to be a shortage of decent ones around here, we've had to start using Kings Ford out in the northeastern suburbs (Mason, OH) because the closer in ones are all pretty useless.

Originally Posted By: madRiver

My humble and polarizing opinion is why waste your money on rather awful car like Versa when for the same money a slightly used Nissan Altima which is a superior vehicle in every measure is available. Was it for the short lived warranty?

I have rented the Versa and what a terrible car compared to Altima I ocassioanlly get as free upgrade.

But where do you stop? I could say the same thing about the Altima vs a Mercedes E-350...

They all have to live to 100,000 miles before I'll even look at one ... By then the gremlins are all out in the open
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back