Liqui Moly 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't heard much about this oil and I tried searching the forum, but couldn't find anything on it. Is this a good oil compared to M1 or Castrol? Thanks.

It carries many of the same specifications as the other two you mention but at about twice the price. What specification do you require for your engine?

VW 502 00 for 2014 A4. Wondered if the moly disulfide really is an added benefit or just a reason to make it expensive. I know it’s an excellent lubricant.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RobM
VW 502 00 for 2014 A4

I take back the statement I made before, I thought the various types they sell actually carried the specifications I had seen listed on the containers at NAPA but apparently they are only "recommended". In that case, for me, I would avoid the oil and purchase one that actually has the certification you need. I would not pay double for a recommendation. Both the Mobil 1 and the Castrol product have actual 502 00 approval.

There are a couple of products on their site that actually do have 502 00 approval, if you are intent on spending more then I'd look at one of those. At least one is a bit less than twice the price of Mobil 1 or Castrol.

VW 502 00 for 2014 A4. Wondered if the moly disulfide really is an added benefit or just a reason to make it expensive. I know it’s an excellent lubricant.

Does that product actually contain molybdenum disulfide or is it just their engine treatment/additive?

I can't think of anything this will do better than Castrol 0W-40 or M1 0W-40. If anything, BP and XOM have the resources and OEM partnerships to out develop all these smaller companies. The big guys have the sales volume to be able sell at lower prices; don't let higher prices from competitors give the impression that they are somehow better.

Why pay more for an oil that only has 1 OEM approval when you can get EDGE 0W-40 that has all of them? Or M1 that has all excluding BMW. By “all” I mean the standard A3/B4 euro approvals.

Good points guys. I appreciate the responses. I get emails from ECS tuning and they advertise the Liqui Moly, and I didn't know much about it, other than their website and Wikipedia.

Good points guys. I appreciate the responses. I get emails from ECS tuning and they advertise the Liqui Moly, and I didn't know much about it, other than their website and Wikipedia.

It’s a good money-maker for retailers. They can’t beat Walmart on Edge or M1, so they push Liqui-Moly with lots of “Made in Germany” phrases.

ECS lists oils for various engines that are not "Approved" which is frustrating. I have seen that at Bavauto also.

If you do want LiquiMoly, the Leichlauf High Tech carries the VW502 Approval here: https://products.liqui-moly.us/oils/leichtlauf-high-tech-sae-5w-40-1.html

And, as the others have said, it is not better, and is more expensive. Nothing special, and it is not "Full Synthetic" per Euro rules. It is a dino/syn blend.
But, it will work if you are dying to try it.

As one who stands guilty of having, at times, gone for the more rarely seen oils in the US, I recommend you spend your money on the better known, more often used products like Pennzoil/Shell, Castrol or M1

Be careful; we might start to steer you towards Ravenol while the elves are distracted.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: pscholte
As one who stands guilty of having, at times, gone for the more rarely seen oils in the US, I recommend you spend your money on the better known, more often used products like Pennzoil/Shell, Castrol or M1

We’ve all been there. When I first got my X5 I went with Liqui-Moly. Bought their advertising hook, line and sinker. Realized I could get better oil down the street for much less at WM.

I used this oil over 10 years ago and it appears they have not updated the formulation. It has 50-70% PAO content, but the additive package is outdated, in my opinion. They don’t even recommend it for MB 229.5 or BMW LL-01. I’d choose Castrol 0W-40 or 0W-30 over it.

Only, and I really mean it, ONLY thing that Liqui Moly is good at is marketing. They figure out how to put oversized Made in Germany letters in front and half of drivers of German cars [censored] their pants.

Originally Posted By: IllinoisSparky
RobM said:
...and it is not "Full Synthetic" per Euro rules. It is a dino/syn blend.

It says "fully synthetic" on the label, which suggests it isn't a dino/syn blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back