05/21/18 03:19 PM
w116 300sd Thermostat Housing
by Gito
05/21/18 02:53 PM
Newest Members
PGProduct, dg500, 28gauge, ka9mnx, Amenhotep
65054 Registered Users
Who's Online
25 registered (AnthemBassMan, DBM1964, CleverUserName, Chunchula, 77Ford, ArrestMeRedZ, 4 invisible), 801 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
65054 Members
67 Forums
283983 Topics
4739565 Posts

Max Online: 3590 @ 01/24/17 08:07 PM
Donate to BITOG
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#4752118 - 05/09/18 03:41 PM GM 2.8 Duramax - Delvac ESP 5w40 CJ-4 - 5300 miles
CleverUserName Online   content

Loc: California
This is my 3rd oil change and 2nd run using some of the old PAO based CJ-4 Delvac ESP I got in Ď15 for $8 a gallon after MIR.

Vehicle is a 2017 GMC Canyon 4x4 CCLB w/ 2.8 duramax.

70% freeway / 30% city. 11,700 miles on truck and 5,300 on oil. Normal driving, sometimes with a payload of less than 1,000 #. Sometimes I take trips to the mountains, switchbacks and steep grades. I use the exhaust brake and manual shift the transmission to engine brake on these drives, about once per month. This is the hardest itís been driven, no towing yet.

Fueled exclusively with HVO dosed with Stanadyne PF @ 500:1 ratio. Changed oil early this time cause I had fuel dilution in my previous UOA

FD looks like itís under control now.

Refilled with RLI BioSyn Homebrew 10w40. There is a thread on this oil I made in the VOA sub-forum.

Overall the D1 ESP looks like it did really well, however there was some valvetrain noise at startup which I didnít like which is why the BioSyn went in this time.

Edited by CleverUserName (05/09/18 03:47 PM)

#4752123 - 05/09/18 03:43 PM Re: GM 2.8 Duramax - Delvac ESP 5w40 CJ-4 - 5300 miles [Re: CleverUserName]
dnewton3 Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN
very nice for such a young engine; break in going well.
you can go much further on the lube than 5k miles ...
are you following the IOLM?

Edited by dnewton3 (05/09/18 03:45 PM)

#4752129 - 05/09/18 03:53 PM Re: GM 2.8 Duramax - Delvac ESP 5w40 CJ-4 - 5300 miles [Re: dnewton3]

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
very nice for such a young engine; break in going well.
you can go much further on the lube than 5k miles ...
are you following the IOLM?

No IOLM isnít very intelligent in the truck. I think it said ~ 30 ish % when I changed it. Changed early due to the FD issue and I didnt want any stanadyne in the crankcase.

I think you could go more than 10k on this oil, maybe 15k which is two of the recommended OCIs, there is still lots of TBN left.

#4752134 - 05/09/18 03:58 PM Re: GM 2.8 Duramax - Delvac ESP 5w40 CJ-4 - 5300 miles [Re: CleverUserName]
Shannow Online   content

Loc: 'Stralia
If it's the same OLM as in my 2016 Colorado, it changes recommendation massively depending on driving style.

#4752149 - 05/09/18 04:10 PM Re: GM 2.8 Duramax - Delvac ESP 5w40 CJ-4 - 5300 miles [Re: Shannow]

Originally Posted By: Shannow
If it's the same OLM as in my 2016 Colorado, it changes recommendation massively depending on driving style.

That may be the case, however it is calibrated for a Dexos 2 oil, which isnít what Iím using. With a real HDEO like this D1, I believe you could go much longer than what it says @ 0%.

#4754726 - 05/12/18 02:54 AM Re: GM 2.8 Duramax - Delvac ESP 5w40 CJ-4 - 5300 miles [Re: CleverUserName]
edyvw Online   content

Loc: Colorado Springs
Did you take down DPF? If not, this oil will damage DPF much faster then lower SAPS oils like Mobil1 5W30 ESP.

#4754730 - 05/12/18 03:05 AM Re: GM 2.8 Duramax - Delvac ESP 5w40 CJ-4 - 5300 miles [Re: edyvw]

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Did you take down DPF? If not, this oil will damage DPF much faster then lower SAPS oils like Mobil1 5W30 ESP.

Nope emissions system is fully intact and under warranty. It will not damage the DPF. The sulfated ash value is only 25% higher with CJ-4 oil vs. Dexos 2. Oil related Ash loading to the DPF is very minor unless your burn oil or have leaking turbo seals. It is insignificant.

The extra P may have an effect on the SCR system but it would take many miles and years for that to happen. I don't believe it's a real issue if you use oils with low NOACK and/or install a catch can.

I'd rather protect my engine with a quality oil then use a Mid-saps offering or Dexos 2.

Thanks for your concern.

#4756463 - 05/14/18 03:15 AM Re: GM 2.8 Duramax - Delvac ESP 5w40 CJ-4 - 5300 miles [Re: CleverUserName]
edyvw Online   content

Originally Posted By: CleverUserName

Nope emissions system is fully intact and under warranty. It will not damage the DPF. The sulfated ash value is only 25% higher with CJ-4 oil vs. Dexos 2. Oil related Ash loading to the DPF is very minor unless your burn oil or have leaking turbo seals. It is insignificant.

The extra P may have an effect on the SCR system but it would take many miles and years for that to happen. I don't believe it's a real issue if you use oils with low NOACK and/or install a catch can.

I'd rather protect my engine with a quality oil then use a Mid-saps offering or Dexos 2.

Thanks for your concern.

So Delvac ESP is quality oil, but Mid-SAPS and Low-SAPS are not? Geez.
Well it is GM, it might need all possible protection. Others just make engines that can last longer, even on Mid-SAPS or Low-SAPS I guess.

Edited by edyvw (05/14/18 03:16 AM)

#4756476 - 05/14/18 04:21 AM Re: GM 2.8 Duramax - Delvac ESP 5w40 CJ-4 - 5300 miles [Re: edyvw]

Thanks for your concern.

Well it is GM, it might need all possible protection. Others just make engines that can last longer, even on Mid-SAPS or Low-SAPS I guess.

Actually, if you've seen some of the UOAs from this new engine from folks posted on the forums using C3 or Dexos 2 oils, you'd see how much of a difference my last 2 analysis are from the norm. I've seen reports from Amsoil AEL, Castrol, AcDelco, Total Quartz Ineo and PP Euro L among others and none of them have wear numbers like I'm seeing with CJ-4 ESP. Not even close. There is clearly a difference using a "real" low-ash HDEO.

And FYI, GM Duramax Diesels are excellent products, including this new 2.8. The 6.6 and Allison is the best powertrain available in light duty trucks. GM was also the first to pioneer the "9th Injector" for DPF regeneration. They have their $hit together as far as engineering goes in these applications.

GM cars do suck, I'm not going to lie about that. However their trucks/vans and commercial vehicles are the best in class.

#4756668 - 05/14/18 08:46 AM Re: GM 2.8 Duramax - Delvac ESP 5w40 CJ-4 - 5300 miles [Re: CleverUserName]
MichaelArch Offline

Loc: United States

Thanks for your concern.

Actually, if you've seen some of the UOAs from this new engine from folks posted on the forums using C3 or Dexos 2 oils, you'd see how much of a difference my last 2 analysis are from the norm. I've seen reports from Amsoil AEL, Castrol, AcDelco, Total Quartz Ineo and PP Euro L among others and none of them have wear numbers like I'm seeing with CJ-4 ESP. Not even close. There is clearly a difference using a "real" low-ash HDEO.

And FYI, GM Duramax Diesels are excellent products, including this new 2.8. The 6.6 and Allison is the best powertrain available in light duty trucks. GM was also the first to pioneer the "9th Injector" for DPF regeneration. They have their $hit together as far as engineering goes in these applications.

GM cars do suck, I'm not going to lie about that. However their trucks/vans and commercial vehicles are the best in class.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Did your regens shorten? Mine come in around 250 miles every time. Just wondering if this affects regens in any way. I also installed a provent and have been pulling a fair amount of oil out of it. Thanks for any insight!

Michael

Edited by MichaelArch (05/14/18 08:47 AM)

#4757060 - 05/14/18 02:55 PM Re: GM 2.8 Duramax - Delvac ESP 5w40 CJ-4 - 5300 miles [Re: CleverUserName]
edyvw Online   content

Thanks for your concern.

So are you saying all those small diesels that are doing hundreds of thousands of miles in Europe running on C3 are bad? IDK, my brother has fleet of VW's, PSA cars, all diesels in business he owns in Europe, and they all racking 400-500,000 miles on C3 oils. But apparently, Duramax cannot. And as far as I know, 2.8ltr is VM engine. Nothing wrong with them, I had them before. Though considering issues with V6 in FCA products, it could be that heavier oils and higher SPAS can hide some engineering issues.

#4759378 - 05/17/18 12:59 AM Re: GM 2.8 Duramax - Delvac ESP 5w40 CJ-4 - 5300 miles [Re: CleverUserName]
danielLD Offline

Loc: Chicago

FD looks like itís under control now.

I would mention, that test was performed on a Spectro machine, probably on either the Micro or Minilab.

They never get fuel dilution correct, on these machines as they are using IR signatures for the reading. If the FD in real life is over 5%, then it will begin to pick it up to a degree.

You might consider a more accurate testing source in the future to see the true FD %.

I think a lot of people don't understand the Spectro machines are made to be accurate but to a degree and they're primarily meant to be portable usable in the roughest situations, they are the Toughbook of oil analysis. For example, a Navy SDV(seal delivery vehicle) where the primary concern is will it blow up on this mission or not. Where as for something like this truck, you're looking at making changes to the regime based on accuracy, I doubt you're worried about it exploding.

Also, it takes the Navy 4-5 weeks to get oil samples to the lab! So they use 2 sets of samples, the first to tell them on site if the machine is in imminent danger and the second to the real lab to fine tune the machine.

Shell does the same thing for Ferrari.

Just something to think about for next time.

#4759396 - 05/17/18 03:18 AM Re: GM 2.8 Duramax - Delvac ESP 5w40 CJ-4 - 5300 miles [Re: CleverUserName]
Shannow Online   content

Loc: 'Stralia

Yeah, Italian firm VM Motori did a pretty good job eh ?

Originally Posted By: MichaelArch
Did your regens shorten? Mine come in around 250 miles every time. Just wondering if this affects regens in any way. I also installed a provent and have been pulling a fair amount of oil out of it. Thanks for any insight!

18,000+km on my Colorado 2.8 and the regen light hasn't come on once.

#4760140 - 05/17/18 04:56 PM Re: GM 2.8 Duramax - Delvac ESP 5w40 CJ-4 - 5300 miles [Re: Shannow]
MichaelArch Offline

Loc: United States
Originally Posted By: Shannow

Yeah, Italian firm VM Motori did a pretty good job eh ?

Did your regens shorten? Mine come in around 250 miles every time. Just wondering if this affects regens in any way. I also installed a provent and have been pulling a fair amount of oil out of it. Thanks for any insight!

18,000+km on my Colorado 2.8 and the regen light hasn't come on once.

Thank you! And this is with an HDEO? Which are you using? Thanks again!

Edited by MichaelArch (05/17/18 04:57 PM)
Edit Reason: Spelling

#4760530 - 05/18/18 03:18 AM Re: GM 2.8 Duramax - Delvac ESP 5w40 CJ-4 - 5300 miles [Re: MichaelArch]

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Did your regens shorten? Mine come in around 250 miles every time. Just wondering if this affects regens in any way. I also installed a provent and have been pulling a fair amount of oil out of it. Thanks for any insight!

Michael

Hi Michael,

Switching to an HDEO will not have any measurable effect on your regen frequency or interval.

Fuel quality, engine load and driving style are the biggest factors in determining your soot loading to the DPF.

You should try using a quality fuel additive that boosts cetane to 50-55 CN and/or contains catalysts to enhance combustion and reduce smoke. It may also give you a couple extra MPGs as well.

There is also a aftermarket tune for the 2.8 Duramax which reduces EGR flow, and fueling. This tune will also reduce your regen interval as less soot is generated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >