Non Kia-Hyundai oil filters--still a problem???

So, to update-- My Encore got totaled. Bought a 17 Kia Soul+ from Hertz. Just back from a 2500 shake down trip to Galveston for a cruise. Car burns no oil. Handles and drives (2.0 liter engine) better than Encore and gets a couple of mpg's more. Is as comfortable and quiet (although it has manual seat adjustments). Miss a whole slew of electronic goodies: OLM, tire pressure, compass, instant gas mileage-- to name a few, that were on the Encore. Happy so far.

Now to my question:

In looking at a Kia Soul owners forum, I came across someone who had purchased one from Enterprise. He was concerned because the dipstick showed an over fill. (Mine did too, but I wasn't concerned.) Responders told him that was no big deal but told him to check his filter immediately and if it wasn't GENUINE Kia OEM, immediately get to the Kia dealer and have his Enterprise oil fill with a couple of hundred miles dumped.

I've owned four Kia's (counting a Festiva) and one Hyundai. I've had excellent luck with each. Owned a '13 Rio when the nothing but Kia filter fight was at its height. Used non-OEM filters with absolutely no knocks or rattles and brought the car back to the dealer for a couple of repairs and a recall with no one yelling at me and threatening to deep six my warranty. If I remember correctly, non-OEM filter makers threatened Hyundai-Kia with Magnesson Moss lawsuits if they continued pushing people to using only OEM filters and the whole deal sort of died out about 2014.

Is there some new scare that I missed? I have a local tire dealer that sells Valvoline conventional changes for $15 and MaxLife for $25 with a few additional charges snuck in. I had good luck with my 1.6 Rio using third party oil filters. No strange, undue noises. I would think that any third party filter that caused odd noises in an engine would be a denial of warranty case for any manufacturer, and that HyunKia sort of took a few specific cases and tried to use them to "encourage" additional dealer work.

Anything else I missed during my Buick time? Is the Soul board hysteria for naught?

Last edited:
Do you know how many hundreds of Fram CORs I have put put on Kia/Hyundai and no problems? Half of the people that get their oil changed at Walmart have over 100,000 miles and are running still fine. I wouldn't loose sleep but I defiantly wouldn't be doing extended OCI.

I have a 2017 Elantra with the 2.0L and have run both Fram Ultras and OEM filters. I haven't had any issues with either one. I usually run with OEM filters, but that's only because I can buy them in bulk for pretty cheap. I bought 6 filters off Ebay for 20 bucks, which is a tough deal to pass up. Once I get out of warranty, I'll probably switch back to the Ultra and run it for two OCIs. In short you can use any filter, but OEM filters can be found for cheap pretty easily.

No, the potential issues with using non-OEM Hyundai/Kia filters have not changed.

Personally, I prefer OEM filters. You probably know the reasons why.

However, I do not think that using good quality non-OEM filters will cause an issue.

FYI - Mann no longer specifies rebranded Purolator spin-on filters for Hyundais or Kias. They now se1l the OEM filter, which they manufacturer, as Mann W 811/80.

I am using Mann/Mahle in my and in one that was sold...ni difference in comparison with OEM kia/hy filter...

Hello fellow Soul owner! Glad you like the car - would not trade mine for anything, most reliable car I've ever had pretty well.

The people on the Soul forum are pretty hysterical about using only Hyundai filters, but I'd imagine MOST Hyundai/Kia's are running around with jobber 9688 filters on them, like the house-brand ones we can't keep in stock at my work.

That said, often the OEM filters are actually as cheap, or cheaper than anything else you can get - you can get them online I've heard for $3-5 each. They are a very solid filter; so it kinda 'doesn't make sense to run other filters.

I'd also recommend you take Kia's 'hints' in the OM and run oils based on temp - 10W-30 summer, 5W-30 or 5W-20 winter. Car is smoother with 10W-30 in it.

Regarding overfilling my dealership overfilled. I am thinking oil gun. It takes 4.23 quarts on paper. But when I do it 4 quarts was perfect.

Regarding OEM oil filters: Over at the Hyundai-Forums I had some forum members recommending Fram Ultra XG9688. I grabbed some Pennzoil Ultra Platinum on sale around Christmas so I bought Fram XG9688 from Ebay thinking they would complement each other. Same price as OEM filter at dealership. Better media. Filters smaller size particles and holds more dirt. I consider it an upgrade.

My understanding the only OEM filter recommendation was for an old issue that was already addressed.

I do have concern that if there is a problem with my engine Hyundai may not own up to the problem being due to their design/manufacturing issues. The oil filter is the least of my concerns.

K&N HP-1004 on my Optima, K&N PS-7022 in my Santa Fe. 210,000 miles between the two of them and they are smooth and quiet, no startup racket. Valvoline Synthetic 5w-30 in both. Keep on keepin on.

ive always run the oem filter until the last change---used a fram ultra and PP without problems and that was about 2800 miles ago... think of it this way, the FU is a better filter than anything put on at the quick-lube places . it took a long time for me to make the switch, but after reading that many run the ultra, i went with it

The KIA/Hyundai aftermarket oil filter "problem" was more myth than an actuality. The whole conversation started on a service bulletin that was release for dealerships service departments and dealership tech eyes only. It gave instructions on what to do "if" they encountered a bad aftermarket oil filter.

Hyundai is now in trouble with the FTC over claims that using a non Hyundai filter will void your warranty. They have been breaking the law all along
FTC Releases Magnuson-Moss Violation Letter to Hyundai
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) sent a compliance warning letter to Hyundai Motor America last month regarding possible violations of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. The letter explains that the act prohibits warrantors of consumer products from conditioning (tying) their written warranties to a consumer's use of any article or service that is identified by brand, trade or corporate name (e.g., “original equipment only”).
The letter also warns: “Warranty language that implies (FTC emphasis) to a consumer acting reasonably under the circumstances that warranty coverage requires the consumer to purchase an article or service identified by brand, trade or corporate name is similarly deceptive and prohibited.”
Specifically, the FTC referenced this Hyundai website statement as problematic:
“The use of Hyundai genuine parts is required to keep your Hyundai manufacturer’s warranties and any extended warranties intact.”
The FTC left open the option that they may take “legal action” and gave Hyundai 30 days to review and revise their materials, which will then be subject to FTC staff review.
In a May 4 joint press release, the Auto Care Association, Automotive Oil Change Association and Tire Industry Association expressed the “hope that the FTC action will serve as a wake-up call to the vehicle manufacturers and their authorized service providers about the act’s anti-tying provisions; and will also help educate consumers that they can have their vehicles maintained by their trusted independent technician using high quality non-original equipment parts without fear of voiding their new car warranty.”
Questions? Contact Paul Fiore.
Back...

Thank you Motorking! Your posts are informative. I want the best for my car. I trust the Fram Ultra XG9688 will serve me well when used in my Elantra.

I grew up during a time that changing your own motor oil was expected and common. Technical info was limited but never had any problems with oil filters.

Today there is a wealth of info for us do it yourself people. I was shocked when I could not find out info on changing the oil myself in the owner's manual. It recommended going to the dealership for oil changes. I have not seen it stated you have to go there or the warranty will be voided, but the way things are worded I felt I was doing something wrong if I did not go there.

I feel like a rebel using a Fram filter and changing the oil myself based on the info I have from Hyundai.
smile.gif

You can get one of those cheap Korean "Premium Guard" filters with the correct Hyundai/Kia-spec design, but not a premium Fram or Wix. Rock Auto listing

Hyundai's OE supplier for these oil filters is Mann, which is also the parent company of Wix and Purolator, so no excuse for either company to not have a H/K-spec filter!

Even Hastings has a H/K-specific filter (LF565) with the 20-psi bypass

You're telling me Hastings and Premium Guard can make a Hyundai-spec filter, but Fram, Wix, and Purolator can't? And two of those are owned by the same company that MAKES the OEM filter in question. NO EXCUSES

OEM, Premium Guard, Mann, or Hastings

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
You can get one of those cheap Korean "Premium Guard" filters with the correct Hyundai/Kia-spec design, but not a premium Fram or Wix. Rock Auto listing

Hyundai's OE supplier for these oil filters is Mann, which is also the parent company of Wix and Purolator, so no excuse for either company to not have a H/K-spec filter!

Even Hastings has a H/K-specific filter (LF565) with the 20-psi bypass

You're telling me Hastings and Premium Guard can make a Hyundai-spec filter, but Fram, Wix, and Purolator can't? And two of those are owned by the same company that MAKES the OEM filter in question. NO EXCUSES

OEM, Premium Guard, Mann, or Hastings

My understanding is the Fram XG9688 meets Hyundai spec. It does list bypass valve setting as 9-15 on website:

Fram Ultra XG9688

Not sure if that is a good or bad thing? I am sure Fram has a reason for the difference.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but there still does not be much good info on this topic. Many people with anecdotal evidence still claiming aftermarket filters are no good. Is this still the case?

I have a 2011 Genesis Coupe with the 2.0 and have a bunch of Wix gold filters I'd like to use up if possible.

I can only add that, as an installer, there is a separate filter # for Hyundai/Kia's 2011 and newer.
The filters that I install are made in South Korea and are identical to the OEMs. I'd go as far as to
say they are OEM filters painted black. They are 2x the price of an aftermarket equivalent.

Back