Toyota 1GD-FTV engine oil recommendation help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all!

So this is my first post on the forum. I've been an avid reader and highly appreciate all the advice and tips from the experts on the forum.

So I just purchased a brand new Toyota Fortuner Diesel. It has a 2.8ltr 1GD-FTV turbo diesel engine without any dpf/scr. It is euro 2 specced and fuel in my region is typically 500ppm sulphur diesel. And the ambient temp ranges usually from 30F to 115F where I live, may go as low as 5F in some places up-north on occasional cross-country trips.

Now I'm wondering what kind of oil should I go for long-term maintenance considering the local environment. The owner's manual suggests:

Recommended viscosity: SAE 5w-30, API CF-4, CF or ACEA B1, B3, B4, B5 or JASO-DL0

So should I go for expensive 5w30 synthetics like Mobil 5w30 that show both gasoline/diesel certifications or should I get a Diesel specced HDEO with high or reasonably good TBN?

I've been inclined towards Caltex Delo Mgx400 15w-40 since its not too heavy on the pocket and also widely available, plus it's a diesel specced oil. Other choices I can think of are Mobil Delvac(an import in my country), or any other pcmo 5w-30, 5w40 fully synthetics like shell helix ultra, mobil 1 5w-40, Caltex ProDs 5w-40.

let me know what is your opinion for the best possible long-term approach. Thanks!

Thanks! It says to change oil every 10K km under normal driving conditions, or 5k km when heavy-towing, stop-n-go traffic, dusty environment.

On another note, just for the sake of comparison, Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 full synthetic(or any other similar) vs Delo 400 15w40 fuel economy and engine-health wise? Which is preferred and why?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DoctorMo

On another note, just for the sake of comparison, Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 full synthetic(or any other similar) vs Delo 400 15w40 fuel economy and engine-health wise? Which is preferred and why?

SHU 5w40 in my car....because it has short 5th gear and I like to drive it sportier
smile.gif

Shell Rimula R6M 10w40 (its synthetic HDEO) for my beast
wink.gif
(or any other HDEO wich is available for you locally)...unless you are racing with that "truck"
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

SHU 5w40 in my car....because it has short 5th gear and I like to drive it sportier
smile.gif

Shell Rimula R6M 10w40 (its synthetic HDEO) for my beast
wink.gif
(or any other HDEO wich is available for you locally)...unless you are racing with that "truck"
smile.gif

The suv in question is barely 100km driven(brand new) right now. And this will be it's first oil change on it's first service at around 5000km mileage. So still it is okay to go with an HDEO? No harm done to the brand new engine considering the thicker 15w40 viscosity right?

The suv in question is barely 100km driven(brand new) right now. And this will be it's first oil change on it's first service at around 5000km mileage. So still it is okay to go with an HDEO? No harm done to the brand new engine considering the thicker 15w40 viscosity right?

I can't imagine any commercially available PCMO would be too thick in Karachi. And if you're referring to the 15W as opposed to the 5W, even more so. It won't be thicker at your temperatures.

Last edited:
I'd use a JASO-spec oil, can't go wrong with Delo.

For some reason, while diesels here in the US are now calling for API CK-4(FA-4 in the newest EPA2010-compliant diesels that can support it), European engines call for ACEA C7/C9, the Japanese call for their own standard based off API CF. I was reading up on it on a PDF of a Powerpoint presentation that Toyota did at a JASO meeting. It seems like the Japanese want an oil that holds up to dirty high-sulfur diesel in most parts of Asia, DPF/EGR/SCR isn't much of a concern outside of Japan/Hong Kong and their engines see a lot of low-speed use unlike on-highway diesels in the US and Europe that can see sustained high speed operation down the highway/motorway.

In your location climate where low temp is hardly below 70F, the lower number of the oil viscosity is not a factor.
So, a 5W or 15W have similar viscosity when the oil is cold and ambient is above freezing.
The 5W is a factor when the temperature goes below 0 Celsius or 32 Fahrenheit.

Hi everyone...bringing this thread back from the great beyond. I happen to have the same vehicle as DoctorMo, and I'm also in Karachi, Pakistan. EGR, but no DPF or SCR. Fuel contains up to 500ppm sulfur.

Found out that Toyota fills their own diesel motor oil, called Dezon, in a 20w50 from the factory, and the consensus based on what I can find is that it's a mediocre lube. Looking to switch to a higher quality oil when I hit 5k km. My choices are the aforementioned Delo 400 MGX, Delvac MX, and Shell Rimula R4x. The Rimula is the most readily available...I'd have to hunt harder for Delo or Delvac lubes over here. While the Delo and Delvac have TBN around 12-12.2, the Rimula is around 10. Other than that, their specifications are the same (though Delo meets CI-4 Plus, while the others are "merely" CI-4...all are ACEA E7).

Assuming a 5k OCI, is the Rimula acceptable, or should I really try to find the Delo or Delvac from somewhere? Also, any thoughts on whether I could make it to a 10k OCI? I know it's dusty here in Karachi, but these oils are said to be good to way over 10k km in some circumstances (I recall seeing 50k+ km).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back