2018 Honda Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if the new 3.5L engine has a timing belt or chain? We maybe looking into one but for maintenance purposes I’d like to stick to a chain, lol.

Belt. That's how they have that silky smooth power and quicker acceleration. All my V6's had belts. You can get that work done cheaper outside of a dealer. But, 105K trouble free miles and all you got to do is change out the belts, spark plugs and AT fluid isn't so bad.

Belt. You may also see it like this: At 100k miles (and possibly 200k too), would you like to have a brand new belt (and tensioners and water pump to go with it if needed), or a timing chain in unknown status?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Forget the belt, it's the least of your worries. Disable that dreaded VCM and save yourself engine and engine mount trouble. The engine mounts on the VCM equipped engines are stupidly expensive.

How do you disable VCM?

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Belt. That's how they have that silky smooth power and quicker acceleration. All my V6's had belts. You can get that work done cheaper outside of a dealer. But, 105K trouble free miles and all you got to do is change out the belts, spark plugs and AT fluid isn't so bad.

Chains "stretch" (wear), and can use replacement for optimal operation in long-lived vehicles.

Refreshing a few things at 100k is a given for any vehicle. The belt replacement is not that expensive. I just don't get why it's a boogeyman.

One of the products is called VCM Muzzler that some members here use successfully. But I think other companies make a similar device as well.

Muzzler discussion

We have the VCMuzzler. I use it when we're driving the van longer highway distances (generally summertime and road trips) VCM does help a lot around town. I think it's prudent to run the system to some extent.

Never had a timing chain issue with any of my vehicles. I'm not a huge fan of belts which is why none of the vehicles I've ever owned had a belt. Timing belt job for mom's 95 Accord was over $900! Yeah, the water pump is changed then too but then again changing a water pump in a typical vehicle with a timing chain is usually easy, and with proper maintenance the timing chain will last forever, and never require replacement.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Zee09
Every mechanic I know prefers belts.
I do as well.
And no they are not at the stealerships as they say here

Yes because they get to replace them and make money as regular maintenance.

I'm not opposed to timing belts, they have their advantages and disadvantages just like any engineering solution, but I'm not going to blindly praise it either.

Originally Posted By: dogememe
Never had a timing chain issue with any of my vehicles. I'm not a huge fan of belts which is why none of the vehicles I've ever owned had a belt. Timing belt job for mom's 95 Accord was over $900! Yeah, the water pump is changed then too but then again changing a water pump in a typical vehicle with a timing chain is usually easy, and with proper maintenance the timing chain will last forever, and never require replacement.

I propose the following experiment:

google search for

timing chain recall

then for

timing belt recall

(P.S. the Juke has a timing chain however it will show in the second search as some journalists used the wrong term).

I do as well.

I'm not opposed to timing belts, they have their advantages and disadvantages just like any engineering solution, but I'm not going to blindly praise it either.

Chains seem to be quite problematic these days. T-Belts are predictable and are less expensive to replace than chains.

Originally Posted By: nap
Belt. You may also see it like this: At 100k miles (and possibly 200k too), would you like to have a brand new belt (and tensioners and water pump to go with it if needed), or a timing chain in unknown status?
laugh.gif

I thought normal, sane people change water pump, belts, tensioners regardless whether it is chain or belt.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I do as well.

Chains seem to be quite problematic these days. T-Belts are predictable and are less expensive to replace than chains.

I agree with you that a timing belt has the advantage in the predictability department, but only the very first, factory installed one. Once it is time to replace it, there are many factors that may affect that predictability, like using cheap tensioners/idler pulleys or not replacing them altogether. Even when using an OEM kit, it may be installed incorrectly. They also do not take kindly to any sort of contamination, like oil or water. And you may simply be out of luck and get faulty replacement hardware, even if it is OE.

To me it's not even an argument. Timing chains are not designed to fail and beside few exceptions, they do last the life of the engine. Playing the "if" scenarios can be done both ways.

To me the argument for timing belts is their quietness, less drag on the engine, less shearing of oil and hence less prone to spotty maintenance or oil choices. Reliability is a moot point.

Last edited:
Forget the belt, it's the least of your worries. Disable that dreaded VCM and save yourself engine and engine mount trouble. The engine mounts on the VCM equipped engines are stupidly expensive.

LoL that would be my plan. I think the wife wants another CRV.

Originally Posted By: nap
Make it an RDX ans she will love you so much more
thankyou2.gif

To rich for my blood, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back