Buffing Out Fender Bender Procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dear wife backed into a friend's car the other night. Luckily it appears not a lot of damage was done to the friend's car. LR tail light smashed and the white paint from our car was transferred on top of the charcoal grey paint of the friend's vehicle. We are not putting this under our insurance as it is most likely under our deductible. I have ordered a new LR tail light and plan on installing the new light and attempting to create magic by buffing out the markings. Upon a brief review it appears the original paint was not broken.

My question is what is the proper procedure to address this and hopefully make it all go away? I have some 3M scratch remover, a 6" Girot's orbital buffer and the normal stuff that comes with it, clay, wax, etc. Friend has been very chill about it all and we are committed to making it right if this does not work. TIA

What you suggested may work. Some Meguiars Ultimate Compound from Walmart may have more bite to it. Did you order a cheap tail light from Rock auto? That's nice of the friend to let you attempt to fix it. A huge savings. Body shop estimates are usually around a grand to $1500 for the most minor of things.

If you can't get it right, mobile auto painters can do some good work. The local dealer here uses them after trade-ins come out of their detail department. The dealer has a good body shop but uses the mobile guys instead.

I ordered the OE tail light thru Amazon. I recall Girot's has polishes they rate at level 1,2, 3 etc. Do 3M, Mequires and other rate the "cut" of their product similar to sandpaper grades?

Same thing happened to a friend of mine's car. Paint transfer, no paint film damage. Someone hit her parked car and left.
Took it to a detailer, they buffed and polished it. Looked as good as new when they were done.
$50 cash - good deal imo.

Please don't take it to any dealer, they know jack s...t about detailing, I see saw many brand new cars with holograms and swirls all over the car.

Just get yourself two foam pads for your GG - cutting (orange) and polishing (white). Grab a bottle of griots fast correcting cream and bottle of M205. Cut it first and then polish. Probably will cost you around 59$ if you order everything on Amazon

yes use meguiars ultimate compound and a blue or orange pad (from harbor freight--they are actually decent pads and on sale now with coupon for about $5) on a DA -not rotary polisher. today's compounds aren't like the old ones and with a DA you wont burn... you could also try a clay bar beforehand

also check out chemical guy's videos they have good videos and products but sometimes the million choices can get confusing.... but i did clean up a severely scratch truck with hf pads and meguiars ultimates and it went from looking like it was driven through bushes to looking new

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back