Moving back to recommended oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All.

I am in a unique position here.

My GF drives a 2004 Hyundai Getz 1.6. The oil that the OEM recommends to use is 10w40. She has, however, been driving the car with 20w50 for 1-2years now.

My Question is, should I go back to the recommended oil or should I keep using 20w50 now? I am just concerned that using 20w50 for such a long time may have changed the tollerances in the engine and if I now go back to 10w40 it will cause problems......?

Any help please as I am looking to do an oil service this weekend.

Kind regards,

In your climate, you can run either of them with no problems.
If you do go back to 10w40, you might notice an increase in fuel economy

How many kms were on the car when your girlfriend started using 20w50? I would imagine that a 14 year old car would have enough wear that changing oil weights would not be a concern.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
How many kms were on the car when your girlfriend started using 20w50? I would imagine that a 14 year old car would have enough wear that changing oil weights would not be a concern.

200 000km to 240 000km.

My concern is not having moved to the "heavier" oil, I am wondering if it would be ok to go back to the lighter oil.....?

Originally Posted By: NAPSTER

I am in a unique position here, too.

In fact everyone is in a unique position, wherever they are.

But changing from thickish to slightly thinner oil doesn't seem likely to be unique.

Worrying about it enough to post a question on an obsessives self-help group forum is probably clinically, er, unusual, though.

Dr Ducked's opinion: Continue with the existing treatment until there are contraindications. Or not. It doesn't matter.

However, if you change and "notice" an improvement in fuel economy, keep it to yourself unless you've done a double-blind randomised trial.

Otherwise those placebo effects will embarrass you every time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Zee09
You sound uniquely unqualified. lol

Everyone is uniquely unqualified for something. That's what makes us special.

Originally Posted By: NAPSTER
Hi All.

My GF drives a 2004 Hyundai Getz 1.6. The oil that the OEM recommends to use is 10w40. She has, however, been driving the car with 20w50 for 1-2years now.

My Question is, should I go back to the recommended oil or should I keep using 20w50 now? I am just concerned that using 20w50 for such a long time may have changed the tollerances in the engine and if I now go back to 10w40 it will cause problems......?

Any help please as I am looking to do an oil service this weekend.

Kind regards,

Hi Napster, I am no engine expert but can't see that the 20W50 would have changed the engine at all.
You should be absolutely fine with using 10W40...however, if you tell our GF about the change, she will probably swear that the car feels worse and that it is all your fault. I know that's what my wife would do!
;^)

No worries,you'll be good
11.gif

Go back to 10W40 and you'll probably feel the car "wake up" and be a lot more responsive.

Here's a "funny anecdote" to confuse things a bit.

Friend's 1985 Subaru GL (1700 cc engine) called for 20W-50.
My 1976 Chevrolet Nova (250 CID I6) used 10W-30.

I tried the 20W-50 in the Chevy and the engine clicked and clicked upon start-up and never quieted down.

I after draining the 20W-50 I stayed with 10W-30 and never though of it again.

IF I am understanding you, you want to go back to the 10w-40. I would go back to the 10w-40. Then see how it goes. Napster, you know you wanna try it.
grin.gif

Last edited:
No issues whatsoever. Try it, you may like it.

Listen to some Die Antwoord while you service it too.
laugh.gif

Both 10W40 and 20W50 should work fine.

I would go a 15W40, maybe a mixed fleet HDEO (suitable for petrol and diesel). This should be thicker than most 10W40's but also offer more TBN (oil life) than most 20W50's.

The 20W50's near me are mostly old school SG stuff with a weak add pack.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Does it use oil now (consume) between oil changes? Leaks, drips, weaps?

Does it run funny or make any noise on start-up? Any smoke at start-up?

None of the above.....

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Does it use oil now (consume) between oil changes? Leaks, drips, weaps?

Does it run funny or make any noise on start-up? Any smoke at start-up?

On some of the colder mornings it sounds like the oil pump makes a funny noise for about 1-2sec and then stops.

Other than that, no smoke, no other funny noises and no oil usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back