prius bleeding that hard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might be tasked to do one on a 2nd gen prius. Seems like its a bit of a mixture of people having tons of issues and no issues.

Hardware looks exactly the same, if i disconnect the battery brakes shouldn't try to activate and i can normally 2 man bleed after right?

Or so i really have to stomp on the pedal 8 times and etc.

Toyotas have radio codes like honda?

If it is the same as my Rx hybrid, you should use the toyota techstream cable and software. The brakes is controlled by electric pumps. The procedure is to pull the abs fuse for the front, the software then pumps the fluid out. The rear brakes was done like a normal car. Some reported the brake pumpnmay fail in the RX after a flush. ($3000 for the pump)

Check the Prius forums for specifics.

It is not difficult if you have Techstream or a decent aftermarket scanner such as the Autel Maxisys Elite that I have. Otherwise, without proper tooling, I HiGHLY recommend that you leave it alone. The brake pedal is actually a brake by wire setup.

Also, many Gen 2 Prius have issues with the ABS modulator assembly. There was a warranty extension on them, but I believe it has expired.

The service manual describes in detail how to bleed brakes either using Techstream, or without it. For the latter, essentially, you put the system in "Invalid Mode," bleed the rears by letting the pump push fluid out, and bleed the fronts more or less conventionally by the two-person method. I was afraid of getting in trouble and let the dealer change my brake fluid ($110-$20 service coupon=$90).

Originally Posted By: The Critic
It is not difficult if you have Techstream or a decent aftermarket scanner such as the Autel Maxisys Elite that I have. Otherwise, without proper tooling, I HiGHLY recommend that you leave it alone. The brake pedal is actually a brake by wire setup.

Also, many Gen 2 Prius have issues with the ABS modulator assembly. There was a warranty extension on them, but I believe it has expired.

If i get my hands on a techstream is it as simple as follow the prompts

You need a scanner to bleed the brakes, in a Toyota?
mad.gif
crazy2.gif

Too bad you can't just use speed bleeders and bleed like regular brakes
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
Originally Posted By: The Critic

If i get my hands on a techstream is it as simple as follow the prompts

Yes, but you will need 2 people.

Many aftermarket tools will do the air bleed function. You do not need to use a techstream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back