US Government on Cracking Non-recyclable Plastics

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will cost the taxpayers $21.00 per gallon subsidies so we can buy it for $4.00 per gallon.

Originally Posted By: torino351
I know we are talking about plastic, but the abbreviation on the main screen for me reads
"US Government on Crack.."
It made me laugh. Now we can keep talking about plastic.
That's the same thing I saw, that's one way to get people to look! I can think about of 100 non-BITOG ways to comment, but, no comment!

Originally Posted By: CT8
It will cost the taxpayers $21.00 per gallon subsidies so we can buy it for $4.00 per gallon.

Someone in government must be on 'crack' if they approve this scheme....

Originally Posted By: torino351
I know we are talking about plastic, but the abbreviation on the main screen for me reads
"US Government on Crack.."
It made me laugh. Now we can keep talking about plastic.

Yeah, that drew me, I was expecting to see a fight.

Originally Posted By: pbm

I believe CT8 pulled those economics from between his left & right hip pockets.

For sheer volume, it makes more sense than re-refining lubricating oil rather than just blending it into heavy fuel oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Originally Posted By: pbm

I believe CT8 pulled those economics from between his left & right hip pockets.

For sheer volume, it makes more sense than re-refining lubricating oil rather than just blending it into heavy fuel oil.
Seems I pulled those economics from other government schemes I have witnessed in the past, Ethanol blends,welfare programs, bio fuels, etc.

Well it should be easy to post your economic calculations here then for review - otherwise I stand by my statement.

Sounds like the same idea that wasn't economically feasible when oil was still at >$100 bbl. They built thermal depolymerization test processors near animal processing facilities in the US. It works for organic inputs, plastic included, but is expensive. I think there are a couple of test facilities in Europe, but I don't know if they are still operating.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: anndel
Honolulu burns trash and generates electricity now that's renewable.

It's pretty common around the world....Refuse Derived Fuels (not quite "burning trash") have about 2/3 the energy density of coal, and half that of oil.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
If carbon capture is a goal I see no better way then to landfill plastics.

Doesn't actually capture anything that wasn't already captured a few million years ago.

Originally Posted By: Ducked

Doesn't actually capture anything that wasn't already captured a few million years ago.
But what if they burn it????

Only if you make the plastics out of exhaust gasses.

If you are going to dig oil up to make plastic out of it, then it makes perfect sense to get the energy out of it rather than dumping it.

Just burying plastic, no energy, so it's not "carbon capture"...just waste. Analogous to digging up a tonne of coal and reburying it.

I was assuming the easy capture of carbon was the goal. Most is buried here I would guess anyway.

plastics SXXK period!!! much of them pollute the ocean + the fish in there, they also neuter the fish along with the male population due to the Estrogens in them, never ever heat anything in them + eat it. plastics have some benefits but they have no place in our food system!!!!

plastics have many good uses but food packing is NOT one of them. god forbid the morons that microwave in typical plastic containers!!! for sure using recycled plastics for other than a container would be good!!

Originally Posted By: benjy
plastics have many good uses but food packing is NOT one of them. god forbid the morons that microwave in typical plastic containers!!! for sure using recycled plastics for other than a container would be good!!

Cold food is fine. Around here there are many salad containers made out of used water bottle, or the lid of hot takeout box (the bottom is usually made out of sugarcane fiber). It probably isn't cheaper than virgin plastic but it sure score some eco brownie points.

The biggest problem with plastic is landfill. Around here we have been hauling trash hundreds of mile to rural landfill, that's not really efficient either. I'm all for burning them for energy if they have no emission, another NIMBY requirement.

So I guess spending some energy to make the waste "disappear" is still ok? Any profit will be icing on the cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back