Purlator Air Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked a purolator ring style air filter for my old Cherokee 2.5,how are these? I have always used Napa gold but they where out of stock,so I got the purolator,what do you think the interval is on one of these?

When it get's dirty?
smile.gif

I haven't had any problems, the new Purolator One air filters list 99% efficiency like Wix and Napa Gold. I snagged some of the last PureOne pre-oiled air filters (similar to Fram TG & STP Premium air filters) before those were discontinued, they were all Made in USA for my application.

AAP has a $5 rebate on two Purolator air or cabin air filtets currently.

https://flyer.advanceautoparts.com/h/m/a...n-US&type=1

I have seen absolutely nothing about Purolator brand air filters tearing, I'll use them with confidence.

Originally Posted By: Kira
I'd guess 30,000 miles is your air filter's lifespan.

What year is your Cherokee?

+1

Unless that rig is run in exceptionally dusty conditions, you will be throwing away a filter that's half used up.. or less. Follow the manufacturer's schedule or install a restriction gauge and change when indicated.

Search on this forum and you will see plenty of information on this topic. It can take 5K miles or more for a filter to load up enough where its efficiency has reached a peak level, so if you change the filter too often, you are allowing the engine to ingest MORE contaminants, not less.

There are engineering white papers out the wazoo highlighting the lunacy of overly frequent air filter changes. The one I just found,Done at the Latvian University of Agriculture, and still have on my desk, tested filters collected from dealerships of a certain model of Renault commercial van. Most were changed at the factory interval. 91 were collected and flowbench tested in the same airbox as used in the vehicle. They tested an empty housing and then the housing with a new filter to get the baseline. None reached the restriction limit, even some of those with more than three times the recommended interval on them. The filters changed at the factory interval were at roughly 30 percent of the rated maximum restriction. In others words, perfectly good filters were being tossed at the factory interval.

Again, do the searches... here and elswhere.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Unless that rig is run in exceptionally dusty conditions, you will be throwing away a filter that's half used up.. or less. ...
Very true. I ran filters close to 4X the manufacturer's 30K recommended interval in my Mazda, and couldn't detect any difference in power or fuel economy upon replacing them---and that was with a carburetor and no feedback mixture control like more modern vehicle engines have. It might not have lasted as long as it did with over-frequent filter changes.

It’s a 1984 Cherokee with the AMC 2.5 and the one barrel carb,air filter been in 2 weeks now seems to be working great,only $4.00 at pep boys

Wix and Purolator are owned by the same company, Mann-Hummel.

Plus, the joke about Tearolater isn't funny in the air filter forum, since it applies to their oil filters.

I used to use Purolator's P1 air filters, that were blue in color and had (lightly) oiled media. They stopped making them during the rebranding.

Does Fram make a TG/Ultra air filter for your Jeep? They also use a lightly-oiled media that is yellow in color.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
I used to use Purolator's P1 air filters, that were blue in color and had (lightly) oiled media. They stopped making them during the rebranding.

Does Fram make a TG/Ultra air filter for your Jeep? They also use a lightly-oiled media that is yellow in color.

STP Premium Air Filters are also lightly pre-oiled with red colored media.

Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Hopefully it won't tear.

Hoping a Tear-a-lator won't tear?

Can either of you post up a single link to a Purolator air filter that tore during service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back