From Honda 0w-20 to Idemitsu 0w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally diggly dog did it, got my first change in with this Indiana made Idemitsu I scored when I got my first BITOG stash back in October of 2017. I hoarded like almost 40 quarts of the texas tea. So to recap, I Just went from the Honda OEM 0w-20 from stealer (2 changes since brand new 0 to 14k miles ago)to the Idemitsu I scored on clearance last christmas (and yes it gave me its heart) and boy what a Renaissance I am experience. This is better the a Wake Forest, let me Nostradamus dame my approval here. So smooth this VTC 1.5 L turbo. It quieted it from startup all the way to the highest of the 6 gear rations it mimics with the CVT, just even more seamless shifting.

Anyone using Idemitsu products of any kind, care to chime in!

Last edited:
I changed the Camry over to it recently from PUP 5w20. And haven't noticed any difference with it in there. At first I thought maybe it was a little bit smoother. But now just seems the same. Previous oci with PUP was a year and 6500 miles. But can't beat the clearance pricing I received. Some 25 qts. for $13.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I changed the Camry over to it recently from PUP 5w20. And haven't noticed any difference with it in there. At first I thought maybe it was a little bit smoother. But now just seems the same. Previous oci with PUP was a year and 6500 miles. But can't beat the clearance pricing I received. Some 25 qts. for $13.

Translation, that PUP is elite oil. I switched from the Honda OEM 0w-20 so maybe the std dev delta change from Phillips 66 made 0w-20 to Indiana made Idemitsu is greater?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike

Translation, that PUP is elite oil. I switched from the Honda OEM 0w-20 so maybe the std dev delta change from Phillips 66 made 0w-20 to Indiana made Idemitsu is greater?

No. You are having a serious case of confirmation bias. This whole thread has blown past absurd and is well into ridiculous territory. Next thing you know, it'll be moving your gas gauge the other way and seizing your engine up because it adds too much metal to the component rebuild magic in a bottle process; you hadn't worn it out enough yet to warrant this fantasmic elixir!

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
Its just oil buddy. Pour it in and drive on.

I noticed as I pour this in, it is so light gold, the lightest of hues that I have seen. This nirvana buzz isnt going to go away anytime soon..

Originally Posted By: silverrat
Welcome back Broseph.

Don't make me sing Welcome back kotter, "Welcome back, to the same old place , Welcome back...

Last edited:
Im about to do a wholesale switch to idemitsu from Penzoil and Mobil next round.

Ive got some about ready to go into the lexus here in a few weeks, and I have a 10 quart stash ready for the ridgeline which is still 60% left on the factory fill.

Couple of my buddies with Japanese cars swear by it, but I haven't seen any UOA's to tell me much either way.

It indeed seems very lightly colored - I get the attraction to it.

UD

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Im about to do a wholesale switch to idemitsu from Penzoil and Mobil next round.

Ive got some about ready to go into the lexus here in a few weeks, and I have a 10 quart stash ready for the ridgeline which is still 60% left on the factory fill.

Couple of my buddies with Japanese cars swear by it, but I haven't seen any UOA's to tell me much either way.

It indeed seems very lightly colored - I get the attraction to it.

UD

And on the dipstick, it is almost just highlighted on there, it is that light in gold color, no more golden brown. Engine clean, I had the lube tech rotate my tires while it extended drained. One thing I noticed is the Idemitsu 0w-20 hasn't fuel diluted as fast as the Honda OEM. It could be mainly due to dealer leaving more old oil in but I recall it diluting faster on the other oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

No. You are having a serious case of confirmation bias. This whole thread has blown past absurd and is well into ridiculous territory. Next thing you know, it'll be moving your gas gauge the other way and seizing your engine up because it adds too much metal to the component rebuild magic in a bottle process; you hadn't worn it out enough yet to warrant this fantasmic elixir!

The Honda dealer was probably just using conventional 5W-20 and overfilling his engine on his last two changes.

Originally Posted By: kjbock
The Honda dealer was probably just using conventional 5W-20 and overfilling his engine on his last two changes.

Could be but Honda also has a 0w20 syn-blend that may have been used.

I finally diggly dog did it, got my first change in with this Indiana made Idemitsu I scored when I got my first BITOG stash back in October of 2017. I hoarded like almost 40 quarts of the texas tea. So to recap, I Just went from the Honda OEM 0w-20 from stealer (2 changes since brand new 0 to 14k miles ago)to the Idemitsu I scored on clearance last christmas (and yes it gave me its heart) and boy what a Renaissance I am experience. This is better the a Wake Forest, let me Nostradamus dame my approval here. So smooth this VTC 1.5 L turbo. It quieted it from startup all the way to the highest of the 6 gear rations it mimics with the CVT, just even more seamless shifting.

Anyone using Idemitsu products of any kind, care to chime in!

What the heck ?

shocked2.gif

Used an earlier higher moly and higher VI Idemitsu 0W-20 in our newer Accord for a few runs and have enough for a few more.
I have a sample from one 8K+ run I've been meaning to send off for a UOA. Need to do that.
Anyway, this seems a serviceable oil but it is not the greatest thing since sex.
I found it no better in any way that I could see (sound, smoothness, fuel efficiency) than the runs I've done with PP, AMS, TGMO and M1 AFE.
You seem to be getting a little carried away with this Indianan product.
It was cheap enough though.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Used an earlier higher moly and higher VI Idemitsu 0W-20 in our newer Accord for a few runs and have enough for a few more.
I have a sample from one 8K+ run I've been meaning to send off for a UOA. Need to do that.
Anyway, this seems a serviceable oil but it is not the greatest thing since sex.
I found it no better in any way that I could see (sound, smoothness, fuel efficiency) than the runs I've done with PP, AMS, TGMO and M1 AFE.
You seem to be getting a little carried away with this Indianan product.
It was cheap enough though.

I see you had the high moly formula which I believe was SL and not SN. The SN is just so bikini light coming out and yes, it coincided with a tire rotation so the smoothness I should be attributing to the suspension is cross pollinating, so to speak, with what the oil is capable of but keep in mind, I got the SN and it was over 10 a quart so it wasn't cheap enough. Unless you rate the new SN plus or Dexos stuff as better? The whole point of scoring a BITOG stash is you get an extremely expensive usually portends superior stock) OTC oil, over 10 a quart, for .85 cents a quarts and 1.55 a jug.

Last edited:
click below URL, here is a UOA of same oil, same clearance price in this gr8 example.

Idemitsu on clearance UOA right here on BITOG mane!

And it doesn't fuel dilute as harshly, right away, case in point, the dipstick doesn't read off of the top hash mark, atleast not right away as was the case with the CP66 OEM Honda lube. You could clearly see the fuel on the stick whereas now it is hidden.

Last edited:
based off that UOA, looks like the oil is good at

1. Cold start up with a low cst@40 good for mmileage
2. Has good TBN to keep things slippery/suspended for extended up to 10k OCIs.
3. uses some alternate VIIs that aren't the best so not sure

My fav:

1. Very light on the dipstick, the prev Honda OEM was always brown and never honey like. Could it the base oil or maybe the different VIIs it uses?

Not good at
1. Loses viscosity
2. Loses FP

This would lead to deposits such as coking of the turbo or intake valves, if not removed.

Last edited:
You haven't explained how you are measuring the fuel dilution...I'm interested in your techniques.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back