Do you take better care of your car or body?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of us here are very good, above average, at maintaining our vehicles. I recently came to the realization that my body is kind of like a machine. Just like you maintain a car, the body requires maintenance. You take care of a car, it’ll last longer. You take care of your body, it may last longer also. I have grown attached to the idea of my body being like a faithful machine, deserving of my attention. I tell it to pick it something, it normally listens. But if it is abused, treated with neglect, it might not work as I want it to. This is not meant to insult or offend anyone if you don’t don’t care of your body, I am curious if you have thought of the concept, or view your body at all as something that needs maintenance like a car.

In the past, I definitely gave more care to my cars. But as I age, I have been caring for my body more than my cars. What about you? Do you devote more time to caring for your car or body?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I do watch the ingredients that we use for cooking and try to limit processed foods.

For car maintenance I stopped worrying "what's best" a long time ago and just go with manufacturer recommendation.

Same here (plus plenty of exercise).

I think both are a lifestyle decision.

I look at working on my vehicles myself as a way to be outside, be moving (I'm not at a desk all day but my line of work is not physical), and maintain my stuff. Ditto for house and lawn work.

Maintaining stuff, or the body, are conscious decisions.

It's a double plus to do physical work to maintain stuff that doubles as exercise!

Both your body and car are affected by if you put garbage in.

Exercise, eat right, DIE anyways....

With having Multiple Sclerosis I have made a decision not to live past 60. Already have a doctor in place overseas that will euthanize me the day after my 60th birthday that is if I'm not dead before that.

Two cars ago my Dad said that one would be his last car, it would last longer than him. He's had lots of health issues, but maybe he's got another couple cars to go yet
grin.gif
When I was younger advancing age and health issues were a very distant concern, wanna make my wheels last as long as possible. Now maintaining health has definitely moved up in importance. I still enjoy looking after my wheels as a hobby, but getting an extra few years out of them isn't that important compared to getting a few extra years out of me!

I seem to care about my car more. I buy quality stuff for my cars and always do oil changes at a reasonable interval. But I eat junk food all the time and don't buy organic stuff.

I take care of each reasonably ok. I need to eat better and exercise more...

But I also haven't hand washed my car in over 6 months, and the coolant is overdue to be changed. And I haven't taken it in for a recall in a year. It's just a daily driver, I'm not too worried.

The Jeep I do fuss over more, tomrorow it's going in for axle bearings.

The thing is that your body is a self-healing machine while no vehicle is.
Keep a reasonable diet and maintain reasonable levels of physical activity and your body will more likely fail over time due to genetic inheritance than neglect.
It kills me when I see guys paying for a lawn service and then also paying for a gym, or having there cars washed just to avoid the minor labor involved in washing them in the driveway.
Just push-mow the lawn and get the workout doing something useful and wash your own cars for the stretches that the task provides.
That's what I do.
Your body was made to be used in physical labor. I've always thought that a twice weekly gym visit is a poor substitute for doing the manual labor involved in maintaining a house and its grounds as well as one's vehicles.

The cars.

I had a patient that was diagnosed with terminal cancer. Her husband also had terminal cancer and she was taking care of him. The one thing she could say was that she wishes she would have ate a little more junk food. Life is short. Yes, health is very important, but some take it to the absolute extreme. This is coming from a pre-med student.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back