Unclear on which MTF to use (2017 Corvette)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's unclear to me what the more generic spec for my car's manual transmission, the Tremec TR6070, actually is. The owner's manual says to only use GM part #88861800 which is labeled as "manual transmission and transfer case fluid". I *believe* it's DEXRON III though there was a TSB saying that name has been phased out in favor of this less-useful product name. This makes it a bit challenging to find an alternative in the aftermarket.

Red Line says to use D4 ATF, Amsoil says to use the Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF, Motul says use their Multi ATF, Royal Purple says use their Max ATF, etc. A quick glance at the technical data sheets for these products indicates KV@100 of ~7.5, KV@40 of ~37; the GM fluid's datasheet shows 7.7 and 34.26, respectively. I don't know if the OEM stuff is even synthetic since the MSDS says "lubricating oils (petroleum), C15-30, hydrotreated, neutral oil-based".

The confusing part is that these ATF fluids appear to be very broadly-compatible and meet a zillion different OEM specs. All of my previous cars made it simple and just said "75w90 GL4" or whatever.

So, is the answer simply: any fluid that's approximately KV@100 of ~7.5 and KV@40 of ~37?

It takes Dexron III, Just like the TR6060 & T56. I like a dedicated MTL with a viscosity equivalent to a 30 weight for TR6070/TR6060/T56 that are beat on. (similar to what the NV3500 calls for)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
It takes Dexron III, Just like the TR6060 & T56. I like a dedicated MTL with a viscosity equivalent to a 30 weight for TR6070/TR6060/T56 that are beat on. (similar to what the NV3500 calls for)

Thanks. What are some of the more stout "Dexron III compatible" fluids out there other than the obvious Red Line, Motul, Renewable Lube, etc.?

Just don't call it Dexron III, GM says that name no longer exists.
wink.gif

From Tremec,
Type:
Rear wheel drive, six-speed manual dual overdrive transmission
Maximum gross vehicle weight:*
2,400 kg (5,291 lb)
*For reference only. Not applicable to a specific application
Case:
Die-cast aluminum alloy
Center distance:
85 mm
Overall length:
813 mm
Clutch housing:
Integrated
Synchronizer type:
Double and triple cone; hybrid and sintered bronze friction material
Lubricant type:

"Dexron III ATF"

Lubricant capacity (approximate):
3.45 (7.29 pt)
Transmission weight:
Wet: 66.3 kg (146.2 lb)
Power take off:
No

Last edited:
TES-295 ATF's, Complete list on the Allison website.

They may not meet the >7.5 @100° C that you posted......Castrol Transynd is 7.4 @100° C. However it IS one stout PAO base ATF!!

you can't go wrong with Redline's REAL Ester based synthetics, yes they are costly but worth it IMO. their MT-90 cured my barely shifting O2J jetta 5 spd manual. you can call + talk to a real person-tech at Redline to discuss options.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I was actually eyeing the Renewable Lube Bio-SynXtra ATF Plus:

http://renewablelube.com/files/5214/8761...ssion_Fluid.pdf

IF you are going to stick to a Dex 3 type ATF, that, or the Red Line D4 are safe bets.

IF you want to try a thin (about the same cSt @100*C as most Dex 3 ATFs) GL-4 manual transmission fluid the Ravenol MTF-2 is some really good product.

My old T56, with the cellulose composite ('paper') blocker ring friction material shifted the best with the D4 in it, but I don't know what type of blocker ring friction material they are calling 'hybrid' in the TR6070s (carbon fiber/graphite composite maybe?).

Never tried the RL product above (but I did try almost everything else in that gearbox), but it does look really good on paper at least.
wink.gif

BTW; CONGRATS on that ride!
thumbsup2.gif
19.gif

It is the same model I would get if I could afford one, as I do not trust the heat soak prone, valley mounted huffers on the LT4s, especially for extended open track use.
Are you going to keep the DoD, AFM, or whatever GM is calling that system nowadays, or write it out/physically disable it (IF that's even possible with HP Tuners/EFI Live, etc. and the needed hardware, at this point?)?

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: dparm
I was actually eyeing the Renewable Lube Bio-SynXtra ATF Plus:

http://renewablelube.com/files/5214/8761...ssion_Fluid.pdf

IF you are going to stick to a Dex 3 type ATF, that, or the Red Line D4 are safe bets.

IF you want to try a thin (about the same cSt @100*C as most Dex 3 ATFs) GL-4 manual transmission fluid the Ravenol MTF-2 is some really good product.

My old T56, with the cellulose composite ('paper') blocker ring friction material shifted the best with the D4 in it, but I don't know what type of blocker ring friction material they are calling 'hybrid' in the TR6070s (carbon fiber/graphite composite maybe?).

Never tried the RL product above (but I did try almost everything else in that gearbox), but it does look really good on paper at least.
wink.gif

BTW; CONGRATS on that ride!
thumbsup2.gif
19.gif

It is the same model I would get if I could afford one, as I do not trust the heat soak prone, valley mounted huffers on the LT4s, especially for extended open track use.
Are you going to keep the DoD, AFM, or whatever GM is calling that system nowadays, or write it out/physically disable it (IF that's even possible with HP Tuners/EFI Live, etc. and the needed hardware, at this point?)?

Thanks for validating -- Red Line is of course a pretty safe bet for track-ready fluids. The Motul Multi ATF looks good too.

In the manual Corvettes, AFM is only active if you switch it into Eco mode (which I do when I'm on the highway for more than a few minutes). By default, it is off. The automatics work differently. I routinely see high 20s or even low 30s when it switches to a V4...no joke.

Redline D4 is Dex4 fluid a little heavier than Dex 3 but an excellent product. I use all there products in my cars.

Try there motor oil Sometime it’s fantastic. It will actually make the engine quieter. What flavor of engine oil do Vette motors run these days 5-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back