Cleaning a cat. Or how to fix a P0420 code?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been getting the P0420 code on my Hyundai Accent(159k miles) it comes and goes on it's own, especially after some hard driving where the check engine light will go out. So I've decided to try and clean the cat.

I monitor the O2 voltage and you can see it does not work like a new one as it will more closely follow the primary 02 voltage rather than stay high like it should when cruising.

I took the primary O2 out. The cat hangs vertical. Then poured 2L of lacquer cleaner through it. Put O2 back in and then after a couple hours poured another L of the thinner.

My plan now is to let it sit overnight, then take the O2 out again and let it sit another 24 hours. Then put it back together, start it up and hope I don't blowout the cats and muffler......

I'd suggest wearing a long sleeve shirt before cleaning your cat

24pytjt.jpg

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Where at least 2 of my cats are involved, chain mail or kevlar would be a more appropriate choice.

I did the same thing except I sprayed throttle body cleaner in through the O2 port instead of lacquer cleaner. Probably does not matter which you use. I then ran the car for a minute. Let it cool, then I removed the O2 sensor and poured distilled water in. I then ran the car until all the steam stopped coming out. It worked. I thought of the water because some people clean the intake valves and piston tops by putting water mist through the intake.

I read a thread on here that mentioned using caustic soda or something of that nature, I wish I had booked marked it.
If a solvent dip could fix a cat, there would not be nearly as many cars in the boneyard.

You can't "clean" a cat unless it's clogged with oil. More often than not, the honey comb inside melts. You can't unmelt the metal.

You can either hollow it out and use an o2 anti-fouler and pray that the code goes away, or fix it the right way by replacing the cat.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
I read a thread on here that mentioned using caustic soda or something of that nature, I wish I had booked marked it.
If a solvent dip could fix a cat, there would not be nearly as many cars in the boneyard.
Hmm, I buy caustic soda in bulk. It is a great carbon remover. But the cat is still on the car and would need a good water flushing to get rid of the caustic.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

24pytjt.jpg

My cat is self cleaning except for a few hair balls here and there.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
You can't "clean" a cat unless it's clogged with oil. More often than not, the honey comb inside melts. You can't unmelt the metal.

You can either hollow it out and use an o2 anti-fouler and pray that the code goes away, or fix it the right way by replacing the cat.

+1

You can "hack it", but I'd be preparing to replace if the car requires emissions testing...

Like any plating once its gone its gone its gone you can clean it till you are blue in the face but its not coming back. The amount of wash coat is one of the big differences between OE and aftermarket.
Unfortunately this one of those times you cant put Humpty Dumpty back together.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
... or you could do what Scotty Kilmer says (I certainly wouldn't, but whatever), and do this:

And here I thought I was pioneering......

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
... or you could do what Scotty Kilmer says (I certainly wouldn't, but whatever), and do this:

Dude is a hack for the most part, so not surprised he thinks you can clean a catalytic converter. His intro videos are pretty funny, though.

Imagine living next door to that guy. You're eating dinner with your family when all of a sudden you hear a car doing a burnout, then "ITS TIME FOR, THE SCOTTY KILMER CHANNEL!" You look outside and see this baffoon with a tripod setup. I'd be livid.

I remember giving my dog a bath , as a kid . Very interesting !

I do not think even I was dumb enough to try to give a cat a bath .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back