Need New motorcycle tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for recommendations on new tires for my xsr900. Im ready for my third set. Ive ran through 2 sets of Bridgestone S20evos in 11k miles. I do a good amount of highway riding but performance in the twisties is important as well. I also do ride in rain. The S20s were great all around. The tires im interested in are...

1. Bridgestone S21 hypersport. $215 a set.
2. Michelin Pilot power 3. $260 a set
3. Pirelli Angel Gt. $305 a set.
4. Michelin Pilot road 4. $338 a set
5. Michelin Pilot Road 5. $338 a set.

Thoughts? My thoughts initially were to go S21 due to cost, however the s21 and PP3 will probably only last 5-6k mikes.

The others may last 8-10? Im not sure?

If you ride in the rain at least look at the Avon Roadrunner, see if they are available in the size you need.

It's a 130 mph rain tire that holds up really well under all conditions, great highway stability, great load capacity, stands up to high temps well, I've been running them a long time and have nothing but good to say about them.

Superb handling in the corners, stable, steady, predictable,stays stuck to the road when you need it.

Originally Posted By: CCI
If you ride in the rain at least look at the Avon Roadrunner, see if they are available in the size you need.

It's a 130 mph rain tire that holds up really well under all conditions, great highway stability, great load capacity, stands up to high temps well, I've been running them a long time and have nothing but good to say about them.

Superb handling in the corners, stable, steady, predictable,stays stuck to the road when you need it.

Avon RR are good tires, not super expensive and lasts a long time too.

I love Michelin tires on my cars. Hate em on my bikes. Bridgestone, Dunlop, or Pirelli are the way to go. Haven't used Avons for a billion years so I can't say about them.

Last edited:
You would probably be best served by the Pilot ROAD tires. Very popular in the sport touring crowd and basically the top of the line for traction in less-than-ideal weather.

I ran Pilot POWER 3 tires on my SV650 and they outperformed the bike in all aspects.

check out the Michelin Commander II
I have had a couple of sets on the Harley
The rear tire has dual compounds and lasts about 12-13 k miles
Maybe a little more pricey than you want to spend but last way longer than 5-6k miles

The S21 seems to last quite a bit more than the S20evo. And the handling is superb.

They make tires for vintage bikes, Motocross, and dual-sports, but do they make anything that would be applicable to the OP's bike? I haven't been aware of any offerings from Heidanau that the OP could use.

Thanks for the help guys. I think im going with Michelins new Road 5 from a local shop. It will end up costing about the same as buying online since they charge $30 extra per wheel if you don't buy from them.

That's likely a good choice. The Road 3's and 4's were biased towards wet grip, but lacked in dry grip in comparison to other Sport-Touring tire competitors. A Michelin tire rep buddy of mine stated that the design goals for the Road 5, were keeping the wet weather grip, while improving the dry grip, especially when leaned over on the edge of the tread, hence the solid shoulder with no siping.

they are all good tyres; its all comes down to price and tyre construction.

The latter affects the handling which may suite one bike or riding style better than another one.

MY favorites are michelin pilot power (old design but still manufactured) which can't be beaten on price and gives me more level of performance than I can use.

Metzler make cracking and highly rates sports touring tyres

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back