EVERYONE makes the Cheerleader squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's nothing that drives me nuts more than this concept that everyone gets presents or a "goodie-bag", even if it's not your birthday. After all, we don't want to hurt someone's widdle feelings. Or, everyone gets a trophy so we don't hurt the "losers" feelings...after all, isn't everyone a "winner" just for "trying"? Yeah, like in the "real world" and there's only one job opening...it's not "fair" that I didn't get the job. You get the idea.

Now, apparently, one New Jersey Mom didn't think it's "fair" that her Daughter didn't make the "Cheer" squad. So she did what anyone would do, right...she whined to the school and they've now changed their policy. NOW...EVERYONE can be a Cheerleader.

https://bit.ly/2I5GMnB

We are driving off the cliff...

Ed

That is how society is these days. The majority of parents want it to be that way, and the way many of today's millennial parents wanted it. You see what you get as a result based on today's entitled millennials. It won't be ending anytime soon unfortunately.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
That is how society is these days. The majority of parents want it to be that way, and the way many of today's millennial parents wanted it. You see what you get as a result based on today's entitled millennials. It won't be ending anytime soon unfortunately.

Absolute [censored].

Isn't Gen X the one that wanted the kids protected from bad words and started all this PC nonsense?

Rhetorical. It was.

I'm right there with ya Ed! I am sick & tired of listening to these sniveling little wimps crying about what others own them, before they've even given or earned their keep.

THOSE SNIVELING LITTLE WIMPS!

Last edited:
I have kids in sports right now. I don't spend the excess money for club soccer, club lacrosse etc and don't commit them to year round full tilt into one sport like many parents using up weekends and a lot of cash. The local soccer club it is actually hard to understand the coaching staff because they import them from England, Ireland etc.

Those trained with tons of cash in them kids typically make the teams even over generally excellent overall athletes who lack the coaching/training intensity.

My daughter had a rare opportunity from age 8-11 to play tennis with a professional coaches kids 3-4 times per week on her court time or outdoor free courts as they could not deal with their mother well as coach and my daughter complimented group well. We put some money into tennis coaching but not the normal amount parents "invest" into kids. She can beat kids on a varsity high school tennis team at 12 locally but again due to heavy coaching thankfully that was free to us coupled to natural athletic abilities.

The same could very well be for this cheerleader. Cheer is another investment sport.

When I was young none of the above was really true at my school. You tried out but kids did not have the investment advantage at all.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: SeaJay

Absolute [censored].

Isn't Gen X the one that wanted the kids protected from bad words and started all this PC nonsense?

Rhetorical. It was.

+1

My kid is a freaking nut. I teach him how to be a decent human being, but he is his own person and society will force upon him whatever nonsense that is cooked up at any given time. If things are nonsense, then I will absolutely speak up and make sure my voice is heard, so that his rights are protected against those who have more power or influence. In this case, was did the girl suck or was she not popular or affluent enough? Regardless and unfortunately, the girl will likely be ridiculed (behind her back, so she won't feel bullied, of course) and potentially ostracized for "bringing down" the cheer squad. OR, maybe she'll prove herself and fit in eventually...

Anyone was able to join our HS football team. We were small and sucked pretty badly, but we were scrappy (isn't that what all loser teams say? Haha). Even still, we need bench-warmers, too. In this case, maybe the athletic cheer squad-mates will be doing the fun, acrobatic stuff, while the lesser-abled will stand there and shake their pompoms. Sounds like a win-win. Sometime, presence (audible and visual) help actually motivate people more than a tiny squad of awesomeness.

My son will know respect and that he needs to earn his keep. My dad was loving, but strict and regimented. It was my responsibility to prepare myself each morning, then get the van warmed up for 10 minutes before we left on cold mornings. He gently woke me at 0450 each morning...the first time. If I fell back asleep, I was leaving the house hungry (though we usually stopped at Mr. (and then Dunkin) Donuts for a small meal, so it was more the shame of letting him down than the consequence of starving...

So stupid. I stopped playing little league and my dad stopped coaching when they changed the rules so all teams got a trophy and nobody kept score. What is the point of playing at that point?

Teaching kids sportsmanship is a very important part of life.

I'll bet "Mom" had NO idea of the kind of backlash that she would create for her Daughter! I'll bet that's what Mom says next..."snivel, snivel...All of your on Facebook...stop being so mean to my Daughter..."

Life is a contact sport Mom...get used to it.

Former Republican Sen. Phil Gramm said it perfectly when he said, "We have sort of become a nation of whiners."

:)

Ed

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
There's nothing that drives me nuts more than this concept that everyone gets presents or a "goodie-bag", even if it's not your birthday. After all, we don't want to hurt someone's widdle feelings. Or, everyone gets a trophy so we don't hurt the "losers" feelings...after all, isn't everyone a "winner" just for "trying"? Yeah, like in the "real world" and there's only one job opening...it's not "fair" that I didn't get the job. You get the idea.

Now, apparently, one New Jersey Mom didn't think it's "fair" that her Daughter didn't make the "Cheer" squad. So she did what anyone would do, right...she whined to the school and they've now changed their policy. NOW...EVERYONE can be a Cheerleader.

https://bit.ly/2I5GMnB

We are driving off the cliff...

Ed

I always got goodie-bags when I was a kid, 20-25 years ago. I never thought much of it, and I never thought of it as "he got presents, so I should get them too." I just always thought it was part of birthday party tradition, just like how having birthday cake is part of the tradition.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I always got goodie-bags when I was a kid, 20-25 years ago. I never thought much of it, and I never thought of it as "he got presents, so I should get them too." I just always thought it was part of birthday party tradition, just like how having birthday cake is part of the tradition.
21.gif

When I was a kid, we all brought presents to the birthday child and the only thing we received was the pleasure of being with all of your friends and we all looked forward to enjoying the cake and ice cream.

Ed

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
Former Republican Sen. Phil Gramm said it perfectly when he said, "We have sort of become a nation of whiners."

Ed

Ironically, lawyers and politicians are partly to blame for that.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Teams and competition?

One of the roots of the EVIL TREE.

I work at a College and at one of our entrances, we have a granite sign that says something like, "2006 National Runners Up". I told Management, "Hey, woudn't it be more appropriate to change the verbiage on the sign to read, "2006 First Place Losers"?

My Manager didn't find humor in my comment.

Ed

People are no longer learning how to lose gracefully and to admit defeat. Think of the long term impact of this.

This has been going on for years now. When I was supervising people I always heard that things were not fair. Their parents never prepared them for what was to come, they only tried to protect and coddle them.

My advice to them was that this is the Real World. Teaching them to adapt to the situation made a big difference later on.

They're teaching the wrong thing here...high school is not about everyone making the team, but about learning skills for life.

"There are X slots on the cheerleading team. You must meet these standards to be on the team."

equates to:

"There are X jobs available in your field. You must have these skills to be hired"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back