9011 bulb mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Elantra has 9005 stock low beam bulbs in projector housings. They're not bad but I'm thinking about doing the 9011 mod to get some extra lumens. Was looking to hear from folks about much of a difference it will actually make.

Although not the same thing, I did the 9006-to-9012 mod in my Accord and it dumped more light into the foreground. After slightly aiming the bulbs up, I was able to disperse the light further down the road.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
After slightly aiming the bulbs up, I was able to disperse the light further down the road.

This is what I do first before buying other bulbs, with each vehicle when I don't care for the light pattern. I make a full adjustment where needed. Usually it's just upwards more than side-to-side. I adjust enough or my liking w/o getting flashed by on coming drivers. If after an adjustment, I still don't like the lighting then I'll buy new/brighter bulbs.

For your Elantra, it is the first time I have ever seen a lower output in the high beam spot.

9005 65W bulb projector low beam - 1700 lumens
H7 bulb 55W - 1500 lumens

I would say go for the low beam upgrade, but I wouldn't aim them up to compensate for your high beams, that is just wrong on so many levels (safety, performance etc)...and lack of people flashing you isn't an indication of it working correctly either....people are so sick of badly aimed, HID/LED kit trash they just deal with it....still isn't safe.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
.people are so sick of badly aimed, HID/LED kit trash they just deal with it....still isn't safe.

Also is not legal in states that require compliance with FMVSS 108 (are there any that don't?).

Slomo, you've now been flashed:
the-flash2-1.jpg

I want to do the 9011/9012 upgrades in my Odyssey. The high beams have a pretty good output now, but since we do a LOT of driving on rural skinny two-lanes with plenty of 4-legged, white-tailed critters, extra helps. Had a few close calls even with the highs on.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Helped but bulbs lasted under 2 years. Id go LED instead. Better light than 9011 and no mods needed.

Did you clean the bulbs and ensure they remained clean during install?

I mod’d some HIRs into my previous 08 Civic and the difference was amazing. It transformed the low beams from what I would call dangerously dim during during inclement night driving to adequate. Doesn’t sound very impressive, but it was a marked, welcome improvement.

Ive driven with the Civic behind me, after the mod, and there was no additional glare or abnormal brightness.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
...except for drop in LED modules are garbage. NONE of them put out the lumens they claim and poor beam patterns as well.

It's not possible to design an LED module that works properly in a housing designed for halogen bulbs. It's also not legal to import or sell them in the USA, so expect a crackdown on that when the NHTSA finally wakes up, as they did for the HID conversions.

If you need increased brightness...just use your highbeams. That way, you're only causing excessive glare to other drivers when you're using the highbeams, instead of all the time as with drop-in LED modules.

Update: I finally pulled the trigger on the 9011 bulbs. I decided against LEDs since despite the possible pros, they aren't street legal.

I wish Hyundai provided more space to access the bulbs. The pass side wasn't too bad, but the driver side was too cramped for my fat fingers. Since the bulb hole is recessed into the projector lens, it was difficult to know if the bulb locked into place or not. A couple of times, it went in too easily compared to the other side, so after taking a pic with my phone, I saw one of the tabs wasn't fully inserted. After retrieving the stupid dust cover that fell into the engine bay, I buttoned everything up and checked the lights. During the day, they look to be the same color temp as the stock bulbs.

I haven't driven at night yet, but will post pics when I do. Hopefully these extra lumens make a difference
smile.gif

Thought I'd update this thread with some action shots on a pitch black road. I know they're crappy pics but you can see the down-road and side throw isn't too bad with these 9011's:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back