Guy gets fired for bad breath Facebook post

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’ve all been in this type of situation when a coworker has bad breath and they insist on talking with you.
37.gif

You don’t want to be rude and try to avoid this particular person cause they have horse breath. This guy posts about it on Facebook and then gets fired.

https://wsvn.com/news/help-me-howard/fired-for-facebook-post/

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
We’ve all been in this type of situation when a coworker has bad breath and they insist on talking with you.
37.gif

You don’t want to be rude and try to avoid this particular person cause they have horse breath. This guy posts about it on Facebook and then gets fired.

https://wsvn.com/news/help-me-howard/fired-for-facebook-post/

Sheer guess more then the bad mouthing caused his firing. Just a last straw on a likely problem. Electricians are not easy to hire or falling out of trees.

What does the constitution have to say about freedom of speech?.

What kind of Big Brother world has it become when we have to watch everything we say anywhere, anytime, for fear of the consequences?. The Western World fought a short and very bloody hot war, and a long and expensive cold war to end tyrannies where this was the case.

Claud.

Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can be an [censored] with no consequences.

As far as I'm concerned, if horse breath saw the guys post, it'd be the same as him being called horse breath in person - which could be a fireable offense.

Originally Posted By: Claud
What does the constitution have to say about freedom of speech?.

What kind of Big Brother world has it become when we have to watch everything we say anywhere, anytime, for fear of the consequences?. The Western World fought a short and very bloody hot war, and a long and expensive cold war to end tyrannies where this was the case.

Claud.

He absolutely has the right to freedom of speech.

What you're protected against in that right is repercussions from the government.

Your employer has rights, too, including the right to terminate you if said speech is defamatory, or harassing, to other employees.

Funny how folks think that a right frees them from any responsibility for their actions...

The framers were looking to protect political speech and the expression of political opinion. Not one of them was looking to protect a person's right to be a jerk to other people, or to avoid the consequences of saying rude and insulting things about other individuals.

I see that RooflessVW was typing at the same time, and makes the same point.

Last edited:
Had this problem years ago at work. Everyone in the office knew the co-worker had bad breath and we all commented on it outside of that person's earshot. But no social media back then so no one got fired. Eventually she got her teeth fixed and the bad breath went away. As far as I know, no one ever said anything about it to her either.

The government can not arrest someone making that kind of a post.

But your employer in many states can. I can guarantee you I would be fired if I posted something like that about one of my co-workers.

I'm thinking this guy has a case against the employer because of this: “They handed me the employment handbook, which highlighted that evidently commenting on someone’s bad breath constitutes physical violence". There is no way commenting on facebook is "physical violence". Especially since the guy did not even name the horse breath guy.

I'm thinking the boss was looking for a excuse to fire this guy. That's also why he was searching this guy's facebook.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dave1027
I'm thinking this guy has a case against the employer because of this: “They handed me the employment handbook, which highlighted that evidently commenting on someone’s bad breath constitutes physical violence". There is no way commenting on facebook is "physical violence". Especially since the guy did not even name the horse breath guy.

I'm thinking the boss was looking for a reason to fire this guy. That's also why he was searching this guy's facebook.

That's why when firing people, it's best not to give any reason at all, the standard, "We've decided to go in a different direction." says everything without saying anything.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can be an [censored] with no consequences.

As far as I'm concerned, if horse breath saw the guys post, it'd be the same as him being called horse breath in person - which could be a fireable offense.

Exactly. We had an issue in the last company I worked at where someone posted about a coworker in a negative way on Facebook. It got around the office, and that person was fired by the company.

While something may be free for you to say in the eyes of the government, it might be against the rules of your employer.

Originally Posted By: Dave1027

I'm thinking the boss was looking for a excuse to fire this guy. That's also why he was searching this guy's facebook.

+1! Physical violence it was not. He should lawyer up and grab a copy of that handbook before they change it.

Last edited:
I think his boss went too far, but he's the boss and can make those decisions.

I'm not friends with any coworkers on Facebook, I never will be. And my profile is set to completely private.

It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world!

Fakebook has become Mother & Pacifier to millions at their own (great) expense. Many used to be concerned about "Big Brother". Now, many could care less. They've given in all too easily.

Instead he should have taken a piece of gum, then handed the pack around to the group.

I was in a meeting once and the person sitting beside me had bad breath, before the meeting started I asked if anyone wanted a stick of Big Red. I also mentioned it was a 'fresh pack'...

Immediately 9-10 people said sure... so I passed the pack across the table and the pack of delicious Big Red made it around the room. This person sitting beside me got a stick of gum and put it in their shirt pocket.

Dang!!!!! NO !!!!

Unfortunately in the meeting, mule mouth kept asking questions and needing needing clarification on new rollout. OMG
frown.gif

20 people in this room and mule mouth had to sit right next to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back