Odd wheel drop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks:

I'm doing some brake work on my 09 CRV, and noticed the driver side tire drops lower than the passenger. At first I thought I had it uneven on the jackstands - but realized the tire / wheel was actually dropping lower.

Should I look at the strut or strut mount? The sway bar links need replacement anyway (and are rusted on), but I didn't think this would impact wheel travel.

Originally Posted By: Chester11
Hi folks:

I'm doing some brake work on my 09 CRV, and noticed the driver side tire drops lower than the passenger. At first I thought I had it uneven on the jackstands - but realized the tire / wheel was actually dropping lower.

Should I look at the strut or strut mount? The sway bar links need replacement anyway (and are rusted on), but I didn't think this would impact wheel travel.

It depends on the amount of sway bar travel, some cars have a bent portion to limit downward movement. If one link is rusted off then sure it could effect the hanging height.
Check the mounts for excess up/down movement or torn rubber. I doubt a strut is sticking in this position and even a broken spring will no effect hanging height.
Check the lower control arm bushings on the side that is lower, make sure the rubber isn't torn.

Thanks guys. I had the sway bar loose and the play seemed pretty excessive - but I don't have much to compare it to. I'll start there.

I'm having trouble getting it off because the stud is corroded pretty badly. (The rotors screws are rusted badly too, and am having a tough time getting the rotors loose). I have a new amount of respect for guys that work on rusted cars for a living.

As a side question, are there any 3rd party companies that sell fully loaded KYB struts? I sent KYB a note asking if they were going to add the product, but never received a response.

Monroe makes them for the 09 CRV, not much difference in them the springs and mounts are coming from the same company on Monroe, KYB, AC Delco and a few others.

Front left 29032-05619113
Front right 29032-05619112
Rear left 29032-05588817
Rear right 29032-05588818

Use a hammer impact driver on the rotor screws or drill the heads off and get em with vise grips, you can get new screws at Ace hardware, they have the correct threads and head chamfer to sit flat.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Monroe makes them for the 09 CRV, not much difference in them the springs and mounts are coming from the same company on Monroe, KYB, AC Delco and a few others.

Front left 29032-05619113
Front right 29032-05619112
Rear left 29032-05588817
Rear right 29032-05588818

Use a hammer impact driver on the rotor screws or drill the heads off and get em with vise grips, you can get new screws at Ace hardware, they have the correct threads and head chamfer to sit flat.

Thanks - though I was smart and bought a JIS impact driver from amazon. That stripped the screws too.

You don't have too many options other than trying to tap it around with a cold chisel or drilling the head off, no big deal either way.
I use one of these with a BFH before even trying to remove those screws, seat the bit and take a big hit. I have a Craftsman one I got years ago USA made, I don't know if it same today but they all seem to work okay.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-impact-dr...p;blockType=G1#

Originally Posted By: Trav
You don't have too many options other than trying to tap it around with a cold chisel or drilling the head off, no big deal either way.
I use one of these with a BFH before even trying to remove those screws, seat the bit and take a big hit. I have a Craftsman one I got years ago USA made, I don't know if it same today but they all seem to work okay.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-impact-dr...p;blockType=G1#

Appreciate the advice. That's real similar to the one I started with. I broke the bits trying to remove the screws. I really should stop messing around and use a drill. The vehicle passed inspection today so it's not a rush job now.

I have a feeling that breaking the rotor free will be a real struggle. I'm always hesitant to bang away for fear of damaging steering components. They have been on for almost 90k (miles).

No worries about damaging suspension parts bang around the outside of the rotor with a hammer it will drop off (once the screw is out). Clean the hub real good and the back of the rotor where it mates if you are going to reuse it, a thin coat of never seize doesn't hurt either.

You can get better quality bits for the tool. these are 5/16 you may this size or 3/8 check first.

https://www.amazon.com/Vim-Tools-IMPACT-...Y3ESHSWZRGKCQ75

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back