Wix 57356 vs Fram TG7313

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
White WIX? The one I picked up was black and the ADBV was Silicone (It is in the tread linked in the previous post)

I believe there was a dated NAPA Gold white example posted somewhere here, in that model number, the 7356. Mine is black with silicone, so perhaps the example was old stock. I remember quite a while back there was talk about the Wix 57356 switching to silicone ADBVs, so it must have been nitrile at one time. Sayjac and others who have used that part number for years might know.

When topic 5/7356 Wix/Napa Gold first introduced with new baseplate taking place of the 1356, they were white can, nitrile adbv, and dome bypass. Then quickly moved silicone adbv and dome bypass, later thread end bypass in white can. Latest/current are typical Wix/NG black colored cans, with Wix thread end bypass and silicone adbv. One made late 2015 run ~6k miles showing the current 7356 posted HERE.

As for XP and Napa Platinum, all are dome bypass. However, a separate spacer is used in place of the thread end bypass for some, or protruding outlet extender for others. The 57356XP uses the latter.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
You prefer the oil to flow over dirty filter media then enter the engine thru a dome type bypass?

I sure wouldn't want a base plate end bypass valve on my Tacoma. Filter is verticle with base down.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
These are both for Honda Accord. Which of these filters are better? Anyone here use this particular Wix?

Did you ever look at the HAMP oil filters on Amazon?? I like the Real Filtech A01s. I even like the FULL line of filters and Ultra 8 NIPPON. However the most i use is HAMP and or HONDA A01

Originally Posted By: David1
These are both for Honda Accord. Which of these filters are better? Anyone here use this particular Wix?

Did you ever look at the HAMP oil filters on Amazon?? I like the Real Filtech A01s. I even like the FULL line of filters and Ultra 8 NIPPON. However the most i use is HAMP and or HONDA A01

“Real Filtech” and later ROKI are the same filters:

See:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4683422/

and

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4690501/

BTW I bought quite a few HAMP and they came in a big Honda box with the HAMP part number sticker on it.

Last time I bought A01’s were cheaper than HAMPs.

Last edited:

Where do you find the Honda AO1?

We have been building Honda OE and OES filters for 27 years. Pretty sure we know what is right for those cars.

I bought 5 A01's from Ebay using the 15% discount codes that ebay has here and there and it cost me $5/filter

I've shied away from WIX filters and Napa Gold because they are made by WIX.

I drive a toyota land cruiser which took their 1515 filter and lost oil pressure after I did an oil change. I popped off the filter and then replaced it with a Toyota filter. The issue followed the WIX filter.

Discussed this on the land cruiser forums and several others in that forum even had video of the PSI drop (on an engine mounted guage) using a wix filter vs not using a wix filter.

I threw away a case of 1515 wix filters because my 1996 land cruiser is my favorite thing in my garage and it isn't going to die because of a $5 filter.

Napa Gold
https://youtu.be/E9i6WzbKq1o

Wix
https://youtu.be/Qbx0zDPUHpc

These two filters are identical. Napa just re-brands the wix filter.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
We have been building Honda OE and OES filters for 27 years. Pretty sure we know what is right for those cars.

A saying comes to mind. How does it go? You can put lipstick on a pig but it still is a pig.

Originally Posted By: deven

I bought 5 A01's from Ebay using the 15% discount codes that ebay has here and there and it cost me $5/filter

You can get them on Amazon (links to A01’s and HAMP in my previous post) as well as H&A.

A saying comes to mind. How does it go? You can put lipstick on a pig but it still is a pig.

That is kind of an unfair (and wrong) position to take, Nothing wrong with an A02 either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
When topic 5/7356 Wix/Napa Gold first introduced with new baseplate taking place of the 1356, they were white can, nitrile adbv, and dome bypass. Then quickly moved silicone adbv and dome bypass, later thread end bypass in white can. Latest/current are typical Wix/NG black colored cans, with Wix thread end bypass and silicone adbv.

All the examples since I tried the 5/7356 have been the newer construction. The last white Wix I had, if I recall correctly, was one for the old Audi.

Originally Posted By: Proven
I've shied away from WIX filters and Napa Gold because they are made by WIX.

A Wix filter made by Wix? What a shocker. Yes, BITOG members have known that NAPA Golf filters have been Wix supplied, and have known that for essentially forever.

You should have sent me the Wix 51515s. I've used many of them, plus several other Wix part numbers, and have never had a pressure loss.

aquariuscsm said:

You can get them on Amazon (links to A01’s and HAMP in my previous post) as well as H&A.

That is kind of an unfair (and wrong) position to take, Nothing wrong with an A02 either.

Never said anything was wrong with the A02 but anyone who has seen both the A01's and A02's cut open will conclude that the A01's are built better visually. A02's look uglier when cut open than A01's hence my saying about putting lipstick on a pig!

Last edited:
I went by O'Reilly and looked at the Wix. It has the louvers instead of the round holes. I know this has been debated in the past,but how is everyone feeling about the louvered filters these days as opposed to the round hole'd ones?

Filters are definitely not something I've paid much attention too,so I'm trying to get up to speed on this subject.

I went by O'Reilly and looked at the Wix. It has the louvers instead of the round holes. I know this has been debated in the past,but how is everyone feeling about the louvered filters these days as opposed to the round hole'd ones?

Filters are definitely not something I've paid much attention too,so I'm trying to get up to speed on this subject.
As long as the louvers are open, they're fine-unfortunately they're not always open.

... Never said anything was wrong with the A02 but anyone who has seen both the A01's and A02's cut open will conclude that the A01's are built better visually. A02's look uglier when cut open than A01's hence my saying about putting lipstick on a pig!
Only a dummy would care, as long as they function well.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

As long as the louvers are open, they're fine-unfortunately they're not always open.

I don't recall who originally posted these photos (credit to them). This is an example of good vs bad louver formation for comparison.

Good Louvers

Bad Louvers

If they're open, go for it. My last 51358s were louvered. One had closed louvers and I missed it until I got home and then discovered it and exchanged it. No problems with them, and I've used lots of Baldwins and Hastings, too. The 5/7356 filters I've run recently have still had holes. The same rule applies when we get the newer stock. Louvers are fine, as long as they look reasonably made to me.

Originally Posted By: Garak

If they're open, go for it. My last 51358s were louvered. One had closed louvers and I missed it until I got home and then discovered it and exchanged it. No problems with them, and I've used lots of Baldwins and Hastings, too. The 5/7356 filters I've run recently have still had holes. The same rule applies when we get the newer stock. Louvers are fine, as long as they look reasonably made to me.

That closed louvers thing scares me. That picture above is crazy!! Would that filter with the closed louvers starve the engine of oil? Or would the adbv just open,causing unfiltered oil to cycle through the engine? Looking at the louvers on that Wix today,they looked perfect. It was an impeccably looking filter build-wise. But that thing was $9 plus some change!

That closed louvers thing scares me. That picture above is crazy!! Would that filter with the closed louvers starve the engine of oil? Or would the adbv just open,causing unfiltered oil to cycle through the engine?

The bypass valve (not ADBV) will open from restriction/delta-p caused by closed up louvers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back