Ethanol Shield for small engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing an item recommended for my home pressure washer engine (Honda 190) by a sticker on the box. Casual checking about Honda engines and ethanol shows they don't get along the greatest?

Is this just another 'additive' like a product from the same company called 'mechanic in a bottle'?

Ethanol Shield

If you have it in your area like we do here in Georgia, more and more gas stations are selling ethanol free fuels. you'd really do better to keep that around for your small engines. I use ethanol free fuel (also called "REC" gas, pronounced "wreck" gas, for recreation vehicles like ATV's, dirt bikes etc.) in everything but my cars.

This list seems to think you might have "ethanol free" fuel in your state:
https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=IL

Last edited:
My Honda 160 ran fine on ethanol for 10 years. I used various additives. Just drain the gas and run it till it stalls before storage. This spring I made my own ethanol free fuel by adding water to 5 gallons of 93 octane. Drain the water and ethanol since ethanol and water mix together but not the fuel. Seems to run better.

I use stabil or what ever similar product is on sale. Have no issues here. My equipment will sit unused for 6 to 7 months at a time.

I call [censored]: "Envelopes water so it passes safely through the fuel system and does not bond with ethanol". There is water in the ethanol coming from the pump, and this product isn't going to separate that out.

This is, at most, an extra does of corrosion inhibitors similar to those already in E10. It's not going to do anything to help older rubber fuel systems that are degraded by ethanol. (Of course those primer bulbs and carb seals were probably eaten away long ago.)

I have tried a few of the B3C brand products and was not impressed with any of them.

My favorite small engine fuel treatment is K-100MG.

Originally Posted By: djb
I call [censored]: "Envelopes water so it passes safely through the fuel system and does not bond with ethanol". There is water in the ethanol coming from the pump, and this product isn't going to separate that out.

That is dumb. Ethanol takes the water through the fuel system without issue. Why would you want something that drops the water out?

No additive will keep ethanol from clogging up a small engine. Just buy ethanol-free gas and use that exclusively. It pays for itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back