Subaru Ultimate oil -0w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kr_bitog
http://www.pleiades-zero.com/?page_id=342

Anyone has tried this? Specs looks excellent with A3 and A 5, very low pour point and robust HTHS

North America doesn't get this oil. We're too focused on Resource Conserving oils that shear out of grade in hard driven turbocharged Subaru's.
thankyou2.gif

I seem to recall some random posts on ft86club or subaruforester.org where some users in Japan run it, but don't remember anyone posting specific feedback.

Last edited:
Can it be A3/B3 and A5/B5 at the same time?
Why not A3/B4 ? (there's a TBN thing between B3 and B4, needs to be 10 for B4, notice the Total oil below is using outdated ACEA specs, also a piston deposit limit).

Apparently it's made by Total...possibly like the Quartz 9000 0W30 which used to be excellent.

http://www4.total.fr/asia-oceania/austra...0W30%200114.pdf

http://www.pleiades-zero.com/?page_id=69

yep, looks exactly like it, except pour point. It's a good oil, but nothing to write home about. Pretty low SAPS for a A3/B4 though.

Edit : interestingly, the Total Quartz racing 10W50 looks different (better ? better pour point, didn't look into details) than the Subaru 10W50

http://www4.total.fr/middle-east/PDS/Auto/Total/QUARTZ RACING 10W50.pdf

Technically I think it can if the HTHS is exactly 3.5.

A3: >= 3.5
A5:
It's not A3/B4 because TBN is less than 10.

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
http://www.pleiades-zero.com/?page_id=342

Anyone has tried this? Specs looks excellent with A3 and A 5, very low pour point and robust HTHS

North America doesn't get this oil. We're too focused on Resource Conserving oils that shear out of grade in hard driven turbocharged Subaru's.
thankyou2.gif

I seem to recall some random posts on ft86club or subaruforester.org where some users in Japan run it, but don't remember anyone posting specific feedback.

I get the impression that Japan gets a lot of neato super-niche synthetics that we can't have here. Mazda Synthe Renesis springs to mind.

Any idea how much this Subie oil costs in Japan?

I used to be firmly in the 0W camp. But I’ve come to realize that most are just really light oils with lots of VII, for no added benefit here in the lower 48. At least Castrol’s (and a couple others) have a healthy dose of PAO. But an A3/B4 5W-30 is a better option, IMO, for 95% of the U.S. that specs an A3/B4. Once I use my stash of 0W-40/30, I’ll probably switch to a 5W-30... in C3 spec since I don’t do more than a 5k OCI.

Last edited:
Euros. Multiply by 1,18 to get US $.
Total oil is usually pretty cheap (also they don’t really have high end oil, maybe under the Yacco name, but I’m not sure it’s really the same company, don’t think so), but the Subaru oil has an impressive pour point, so it’s probably more expensive than the Total.

Originally Posted By: Popsy
The Total oil cost around 20€ for 5L in Germany
laugh.gif

And using Google Japan, I found 20L on Amazon Japan for JPY30,620 (~US$280) but can't find any smaller containers.

I wonder if this kind of oil makes people more confused on reading owner manual. I have just found out, the manual recommendation for oil is 0w-20(factory filled), 5w-30 and 5w-40 without any temperature chart. As well as preference from the most preferred API SN-RC, ILSAC-GF5, ACEA A3 and A5.
I guess I will change to 5w-30 once my 0w-20 M1 EP stash finish.

I wonder if this kind of oil makes people more confused on reading owner manual. I have just found out, the manual recommendation for oil is 0w-20(factory filled), 5w-30 and 5w-40 without any temperature chart. As well as preference from the most preferred API SN-RC, ILSAC-GF5, ACEA A3 and A5.

In the US, Subaru says 0W-20 is the only choice, but 5W-20 can be used in "emergencies where 0W-20 is not available". But if the Asian owner's manuals says something else, 5W-30 could be a good choice.

And if Subaru sells this Total-made 0W-30 in the ROW, I don't see a reason M1 0W-40 which is easily had at Wal-Mart can't be used.

Originally Posted By: nthach

In the US, Subaru says 0W-20 is the only choice, but 5W-20 can be used in "emergencies where 0W-20 is not available". But if the Asian owner's manuals says something else, 5W-30 could be a good choice.

And if Subaru sells this Total-made 0W-30 in the ROW, I don't see a reason M1 0W-40 which is easily had at Wal-Mart can't be used.

Our stateside owners manuals should not be aligned-identical with those same vehicles used overseas.
0W-20 to 0W40 is quite a jump in viscosity. I would stay closer to recommended weights. Move up a notch perhaps, but not two.

Which is why if I can find Castrol Edge 0W-30 Euro Formula at Wal-Mart, that would be my pick.

Even though the kinematics of this JDM Subaru Total oil and M1 0W-40FS are almost close to each other, a few centistokes isn't going to make too much of a difference.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back