Your favourite seat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
The seat that came on my Norco fatty isn't the most comfortable thing in the world. I'm not a heavy rider, generally just go out with the kids a few times a week, we do some trails and the like. My butt hurts the next day and I'd like to reduce or eliminate that if possible. What's everyone's favourite seat?

The seat in my 2002 protege and 85 rx7 are actually really comfortable on long rides, at least for what a seat can be. My 1996 ford Ranger, is literally the least comfortable seat I have ever had the displeasure of sitting in.

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
The seat in my 2002 protege and 85 rx7 are actually really comfortable on long rides, at least for what a seat can be. My 1996 ford Ranger, is literally the least comfortable seat I have ever had the displeasure of sitting in.

I think Overkill is talking about Bicycle seats.

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky

This is the bicycle sub forum bud
wink.gif
As was noted, I'm asking about BICYCLE seats, LOL!

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Brooks B17

That's got a timeless look to it. How do you like it?

I have a Brooks B17 on my winter bike because I have had 2 composite saddles fracture in temperatures below 0F. I am a lot larger than average, so that may be part of the issue. That is also my summer off road ride, and the B17 is a good saddle for cross country. The Brooks is hard to beat for an all around saddle.

For my road bike I have a Specialized Phenom. It is OK for a road bike. I almost always do a 30-50 mile run every weekend with no issues, and I am commuting 10 miles RT daily with no problem. It is a good lightly padded race saddle.

The tandem has a Selle Italia Flow for me and a Selle Italia Diva for my wife. We both like them. My old road bike had a Selle Italia Turbo. Also a very good choice. When we started out on the tandem my wife wanted a larger more padded saddle. It lasted maybe a mile before we went back to the house and put the Diva back on the bike.

And as "doitmyself" said, learn about saddle fit before you buy a new one. My experience is that the most comfortable saddle is one that fits well.

I liked the Selle San Marco Concor lite so much, I bought 3 of them. 2 are in use, and have one as a spare. I do have a San Marco Aspide arrowhead on my Sunday best bike, it's pretty comfy, but not as cheap as the the other and only slightly lighter.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5019-907/A-R-S-Standard-Saddle
But they don't make them any more... I also liked the name for a bike seat. ARS
Have you had your sit bones measured? Wild rock has a pad you sit on. I have wider spaced bones than most good seats are designed for, so the wide ARS was a big improvement for me. Right now I actually switch the seat onto my bikes, but I may give the new MEC wider standard saddle a try.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Have you had your sit bones measured? Wild rock has a pad you sit on. I have wider spaced bones than most good seats are designed for, so the wide ARS was a big improvement for me. Right now I actually switch the seat onto my bikes, but I may give the new MEC wider standard saddle a try.

I have not, but now that you mention it, I'll give it a go. Sounds like the B17 has a lot of support, eh?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: IndyIan

I have not, but now that you mention it, I'll give it a go. Sounds like the B17 has a lot of support, eh?

A neighbor has a brooks of some sort and swears by it as well. If your willing to put down that kind of money, wild rock probably can get something for you.

Don't the B17s have to be broken in with LOTS of saddle soap/oil, and rolling a steel bar across the top or such, or am I still living in 1971, (the last time I had one on a road bike)?
21.gif

I went with a more comfortable seat when I started pulling kids around at the beach instead of mountain biking.

I got one that I forget the name of, but looks similar to the Serfas Men's E-Gel Cruiser Saddle Black if you do a search.

Get something with a gel top, and some of those mini springs. Really works well for long-term sitting and pedaling.

The specialized Romin Evo saddle has just too little padding, not enough combined with Pearl Izumi Elite bib padding. Though the Specialized CG-R seatpost does compensate a bit.

The Specialized Avatar Gel that came with the bike is a lot more comfy (which is on my Cross bike)

I actually have 3 bikes with a Brooks saddle. All see regular winter use. We don't have rain here in the winter. They are not cheap, but they can be bought for around $100. To break them in you treat them with the goo that Brooks sells, let it sit for a few hours, the wipe it down really well. The saddle will break in fairly quickly.

I can't do Brooks anymore, I shift back and forth when I ride and for me I sit on the metal frame of one.

I pulled the new Brooks Swift off my road bike in favor of a Specialized Power. I'm still trying to find the right saddle for my other bike that sees almost everything but looks like the Fizik Alliante is a winner for that one.

Ask a hundred people and you'll get a hundred different answers, because everyone is shaped a little different.
My favorite saddle of all time is the Selle Italia Turbo and I've ridden everything. I can give you some good general tips, though.
Different types of bicycles favor different styles of saddle. This is pretty intuitive. A track bike favors a narrower saddle than a beach cruiser, no matter how wide or narrow your skeleton. Generally, the more upright your position, the wider the saddle should be.
Also, in general, people who experience saddle discomfort usually first seek a wider or softer saddle. I don't think that's the answer though. In my experience, the cure for saddle soreness is riding more. If you ride five hundred miles a week (and I'm not saying you should, I'm just making a point) you can ride an hour and a half on anything short of a bare seatpost and be fine.
Finally, many people find a saddle with either a cut-out or a groove to be more comfortable. There's a million of these type of saddles, made popular by Terry.
Those are my general observations. On a personal note, I've always loved the Turbo. Prior to that, the Unicanitor buffalo. I believe that with the introduction of the Concor, the modern bicycle saddle became too minimal for many (although I know a ton of guys who loved the Concor).
I always like Brooks saddles, and liked Ideale saddles even more. The problem with the Brooks only comes into play (for me) with truly high mileage days. It's because the frame does not allow the corners of the saddle to flex at all.
There is no correlation between price and comfort. So try to borrow some different saddles and see what works best for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back