Indy 500 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who's got the info? When is Practice?...... Qualifying?...... Bump Day? (They're supposed to have one this year). If so pray Danica gets bumped. What channels are carrying what when? Whoever has any information post it here.

Originally Posted By: newbe46
No Alonso this year?

I don't think no. No one has said anything, least of all him. Last year that's all everyone was talking about.

No Alonso. Danica is supposed to be the "big deal" this year, though I don't really expect her to be competitive (due to being away for 6 years).

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: newbe46
No Alonso this year?

I don't think no. No one has said anything, least of all him. Last year that's all everyone was talking about.

He's doing Le Mans this year, and all of the world endurance championship. I'd like to see him at Indy again though. Would've been interesting last year if his engine held up.

The Indy Grand Prix has a lot of racing, Indy Cars, Indy Lights, USF 2000 and Pro Mazda ON THE ROAD COURSE.

https://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/events/grandprix

Practice / qualifying are Friday may 11th, with Indy Lights, USF 2000 and Mazda Races too-

PRACTICE & QUALIFYING - FRIDAY, MAY 11, 2018
Schedule of Events
07:30am - Public Gates Open
08:05am - 08:25am - USF2000 Qualifying
08:40am - 09:00am - Pro Mazda Qualifying
09:15am - 10:00am - Verizon IndyCar Series Practice
10:20am - 10:50am - Indy Lights Practice
11:00am - 11:45am - INDYCAR Driver Autograph Session (Fan Village)
11:10am - 11:30am - USF2000 Qualifying
11:50am - 12:10pm - Pro Mazda Qualifying
12:30pm - 01:15pm - Verizon IndyCar Series Practice
01:30pm - 02:30pm - Indy Lights | Race 1
02:45pm - 03:20pm - USF2000 | Race 1
03:35pm - 04:15pm - Pro Mazda | Race 1
04:30pm - 05:45pm - Verizon IndyCar Series Qualifying
06:00pm - Verizon P1 Award Ceremony
07:30pm - Public Gates Close

INDYCAR GRAND PRIX - SATURDAY, MAY 12, 2018
Schedule of Events
07:30am - Public Gates Open
08:30am - 09:00am - Indy Lights Qualifying
09:15am - 09:55pm - USF2000 | Race 2
10:10am - 11:00am - Pro Mazda | Race 2
11:15am - 11:45am - Verizon IndyCar Series Warm Up
01:15pm - 02:25pm - Indy Lights | Race 2
02:55pm - Pre-Race Ceremonies
03:50pm - INDYCAR Grand Prix (85 Laps)
07:30pm - Public Gates Close

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CARJ
Danica is supposed to be the "big deal" this year, though I don't really expect her to be competitive (due to being away for 6 years).

I remember watching the Indy 500 many years ago when Danica was looking like she was going to win it until she stalled the car on the last pit stop before the checkered flag. I was hoping for her to win, but she choked.

Originally Posted By: CARJ
No Alonso. Danica is supposed to be the "big deal" this year, though I don't really expect her to be competitive (due to being away for 6 years).

Maybe to the general public, but not for fans, who know that it is just one story in a series that is as strong as it has been in a long time. ABC will probably go "balls out" trying to push it though, as it is on its own way out.

Will Helio get his fourth?
Will Rossi get his second?
Newgarden his first?
Can Bourdais conquer the oval that severely injured him last year?
How will the hot rookies do?
Who will get bumped (for real)?

There's a lot more to this year's 500 than Danica's farewell.

The story this year will be the new aero kits. Quali will be the fastest since the Luyendyk record. There will be even more passing as the new design minimizes turbulence and improves the draft. There are more competitive car/driver combinations than ever. It will be a great show.

My prediction? Danny will ruin ECR...none of them will be competitive. But, she WILL sell more T-shirts than anyone. Mission accomplished.

Last edited:
All four Penskes in the Fast Nine -- no surprise.

All three ECR cars (including Danica) in the Fast Nine -- that wasn't expected.

No SPM (or AA) cars in the Fast Nine, and one bumped from the field!

The 500 is unforgiving, and that's part of what makes it great. I like Hinch, but I hope they don't pull a switcheroo with one of the other SPM cars.

Qualifying is qualifying, and the race is the race.

Regardless of how Pole Day shakes out, I'm rootin' for Seabass.

ABP—anyone but Penske. SeaBass would be a good story after last year but it looks like a Chevy year. I’d like to see Eddie come through.

Danny did a nice job qualifying—she’s always been fast on the track by herself. Her personal mountain to climb is getting freaked out by the turbulence and close quarters in an open wheel car. I wish her a safe and uneventful race but watch for her to go backwards when the green flag drops.

And let’s just hope that IndyCar doesn’t get somebody killed with this absurd Quali requirement for drivers to hang it out on the ragged edge over and over and over again after feeding them extra boost. This is a recipe for disaster.

Last edited:
I get the whole, "rules are rules", deal. But it really seems unfair that a guy with a good, quick car, and enough driving talent to make it into the field, (Hinchcliffe), was denied a chance by someone who had vitually zero chance, (Mann). Just because she chose to waste the time running the clock out.

Her crew obviously didn't have the time to do anything to her car to get any more speed out of it, from the last time she was out just a few minutes before. Simply because she never had any speed to begin with. If she even qualifies it's usually in the bottom 3. And she ends up getting lapped by lap 20 or less. Yes, she has as much right to be there as anyone. But when you are holding up others that have a real shot at it, it just seems like such a waste. As much as I can't stand Danica, she deserves the position she is currently holding. She has real, undeniable speed. What she ends up doing with it is another matter.

It seemed rather obvious he just ended up getting a bad tire that was the cause of his sudden vibration he had not experienced before. Had that not happened he could have easily qualified. And both he, along with his team have enough raw talent to be a factor in the race, regardless of where they are when the flag drops. 500 miles is a long day.

Mann consistently starts in the back. And finishes in the back.... If at all. Yeah, I'm speculating. But Mann is married to Robert Gue, an engineer at Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. Who is the former race strategist for James Hinchcliffe. One can't help but wonder if that had anything to do with her actions. Stranger things have happened in this sport.

“I haven’t been on the internet, I haven’t heard anything myself, but I’ve heard some stuff from other people — this is in no way Pippa Mann’s fault or anybody else in line’s fault, this is our fault. So if there is anybody out there who has anything bad to say, you don’t know motorsports and keep your mouth shut.”

-Hinchcliffe

Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon
“I haven’t been on the internet, I haven’t heard anything myself, but I’ve heard some stuff from other people — this is in no way Pippa Mann’s fault or anybody else in line’s fault, this is our fault. So if there is anybody out there who has anything bad to say, you don’t know motorsports and keep your mouth shut.”

-Hinchcliffe

Would you happen to have a link to that?

Originally Posted By: billt460
If so pray Danica gets bumped. What channels are carrying what when?

HAHAHAHAHA just sayin'... GO Danica!
Mike B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back