Tire shine type products... Bad for tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anything I would think some would protect the rubber from UV and possible slow down dry rotting of the sidewalls. I don’t know which ones off the shelf that would be, but I believe some of them are silicone based and others are water based, similar to interior vinyl cleaners. Either way I wouldn’t worry about it personally.

Some are good, some are bad. If you search the www for detailing forums and chemical analyses of them you'll find which ones are bad, and which are good.

One that I've seen the stats on is Lexol Vinylex. It really protects against UV and doesn't build up.

Have fun searching!

Every kind I have used turns the tires brown. Aerospace 303 will provide a slight sheen while protecting.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
If anything I would think some would protect the rubber from UV and possible slow down dry rotting of the sidewalls. I don’t know which ones off the shelf that would be, but I believe some of them are silicone based and others are water based, similar to interior vinyl cleaners. Either way I wouldn’t worry about it personally.

Motor home people obsess over this, since most of them change tires on age rather than mileage or tread depth. The prevailing choice to protect against UV attack is 303. It makes the tires look like new (as opposed to shiny/oily) and it isn't slick on the tread surface.

One time I had a detail done, and the product used lasted near forever. It was matte, and while it looked like the tires were coated (BFG All terrain so lots of sidewall), they never turned brown.

After sitting a long while, they would pick up some pollen or dust. The coating had a slight adhesive property to it... But nothing severe.

Ive used 303 but it always seems to me that it washes off, fwiw.

I don't know about the effect on tires, but I finally found the source of the oil/grease streaks on the sides of my car: America's Tire tire shine.

Some of these products can pull the wax in the rubber formula to the surface quicker than normal. The wax is added to rubber formulations as an anti-ozone protectant and works by slowly migrating to the surface over time to provide a protective layer. Pull too much wax out and the tire can become MORE susceptible to ozone cracking.

When I had the time to really clean/detail my vehicles, I used the Meguiar tire gel and never noticed any problems. As an extra bonus, the stuff smelled like grape candy.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
This is a total mixed bag.

The good ones have AO's in them. The bad ones dissolve the rubber.

No single answer here!

Do any of you fellas know which are good and which are bad?
Thanks
Mike B

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
but I believe some of them are silicone based and others are water based, similar to interior vinyl cleaners..

Most tire shines and rubber/vinyl dressing have silicone emulsions in them. It's a difference of whether the dressing in question is waterborne or solvent based. In my part of California due to air quality standards, solvent based tire shine and rubber dressing is banned. I've seen the full-service car washes apply something that looks like Armor All to tires or brush on a thick dressing.

The tire makers generally warn against solvent based dressings or excessively alkaline/acidic cleaners.

Here's what I think the local full-service washes use:
http://www.productioncarcare.com/car-wax-polish-tire-dressing/super-tire-dressing/gal-tko-protectant
http://psdetailproducts.com/i-17540363-island-shine.html
http://www.meguiars.com/en/professional/products/d17001-hyper-dressing/

I can't find a datasheet or SDS for Zep/Ecolab's brands used at car washes(Armor All Professional/Black Magic Professional)

Originally Posted By: Skeet6
Do any of you fellas know which are good and which are bad?
Thanks
Mike B

In general the cheaper tire shines are bad in that they turn the tires brown. And who knows what else they do, maybe even cause tiny cracks in the rubber.

Surf City has one with a money back guarantee, Stoners Trim Shine, Duragloss tire shine, Mothers etc. Even Walmart has a few but they will be the higher priced shines. So either go big or stay home in this case. Which means get the good stuff or don't use any at all. Avoid the Turtle Wax, Black Magic, and other value line tire shines. Most if not all of the ones on www.autogeek.com will be good. And conversely most of the ones at WM, AZ, AA will be garbage with a few exceptions.

https://www.autogeek.net/tire-dressings-protectants.html The ones around the $10 price point will be fine. Even Stoners More Shine for $6. Same company that makes Invisible Glass cleaner.

I finally ordered some 303 Tire Balm from Autogeek during the intro special after it came back into stock.

Haven't tried it yet, but for
Being a water-based dressing, I don't expect it to be an endurance champ.

I'm not too fond of regular 303 on tires, but given its reputation, wanted to give the tire-specific product a shot.

I use only Stoner's More Shine...it looks good, lasts a long time, and I've never noticed it doing anything bad to my tires...

Originally Posted By: TheLawnRanger
I use Meguiars Hot Shine spray version. I often use my tires as a mirror to check my look before heading into work.

Some people like their tires to shine...I don't care for that look....that's why I prefer the Stoner's....it leaves a nice matte finish...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back