Picking up my new Ram tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was planning on waiting for the fifth generation but instead decided to go with the last year of the 4th generation. I figured they must have gotten most of the kinks out of it by now. Took the 3.6 V6 4 x4 RAM for another test drive. this time I did more steep hills with it. And very happy with the ride quality. Got the price and basic features that I'm happy with so I sign on the dotted line. They're trying to push me into buying the extended lifetime warranty and I'm thinking about it. What do y'all think?

If you maintain your vehicle your rate is still based on the abuse and neglect of the average owner. I'd pass. Signing a warranty like that is like a declaration of war against the dealer because you'll have to go through them to get any covered benefits.

Congrats!

The cars in your sig - did you buy them new too? If you keep your cars that long the lifetime warranty might be worth it. I'm typically not an extended warranty fan, but from what I've read the Mopar extended warranty is one I'd consider. Usually they expire before anything wears out!

I'd skip the hassle of the lifetime warranty. #Hassle. Congrats on the new truck and the coil rear suspension lends to it riding better than
the other full size truck manufactures.

No, the other cars in my signature I bought with 100K plus miles on them. I bought the ram when it was 3 years old and had 54k miles on it.

My dad just traded his Lincoln MKZ hybrid for a 2018 Ram 1500 quad cab with the 3.6. Pulled the boat behind it with plenty of power! They tried talking him into the warranty as well, probably the hardest we've encountered. Our theory has always been to take that money and put it in a savings account. The likelihood you will need it is a real toss up. He said no thanks.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll skip it for now. I'm sure I have time to reconsider even though the manager was making it sound like I had to decide today.
smirk.gif
He wants 3840 for it.

Originally Posted By: stenerson
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll skip it for now. I'm sure I have time to reconsider even though the manager was making it sound like I had to decide today.
smirk.gif
He wants 3840 for it.

Price shop it against the Mopar Unlimited milage warranty available through several online dealers

YMMV, but my dad's 300 needed 2 cylinder heads (just before 100k), and the 8 speed trans let go at 150k

I would look into that warranty, some of them are refundable if you decided to sell or trade the truck later. If you plan to keep the truck up to 200k miles or more, I would get the warranty. Just don't pay too much for it, I would shop around. I have read that this place http://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/warranty_plans/?plan_id=2102 has some of the best prices. I would get a quote and compare it to what your dealer is offering, they may come down if they are trying to overcharge you. You have 4 years and 48000 miles to purchase the warranty, the difference is if you get it with the truck you can finance it with the truck.

I was never a believer in extended warranties, but with what repairs cost these days it can be worth it. The 3.6 and 8 speed can get expensive fast when they break. The transmission especially because Chrysler doesn't authorize repairs on them at this time.

Last edited:
smirk.gif
He wants 3840 for it.

I think that is a little high, but I am just going off what I have overheard.

Insurance companies make money by taking in more money than they pay out.

smirk.gif
He wants 3840 for it.

Use that $3840 and buy Amazon stock. In a few years you’ll have enough to buy another new Ram.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Insurance companies make money by taking in more money than they pay out.

Right, that's how they all stay in business. People buy insurance to insure against loss. It's a gamble either way.

I'm not a FCA hater, but with the ones in my family, I'd definitely get the warranty... And they're newer cars too.

Do buy the warranty but NOT from that dealer unless they will price match the best deal you can find online. You don't have to buy it immediately. I want to say it cost in the $2000 range and eventually will be worth it if you keep it forever.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
smirk.gif
He wants 3840 for it.

Use that $3840 and buy Amazon stock. In a few years you’ll have enough to buy another new Ram.

Guaranteed return ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back