Rear Shocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughters 2012 Mazda 6 needs rear shocks. I was thinking of doing this myself - or should I have a shop do it? Any brand of shock I should avoid? Any brand you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted By: greasegunn
My daughters 2012 Mazda 6 needs rear shocks. I was thinking of doing this myself - or should I have a shop do it? Any brand of shock I should avoid? Any brand you recommend? Thanks in advance.

ehhhh Imports can be tricky. Learned this hard way with my brothers LS400 And other bro's Camry

Monroe/KYB have been good for me and Monroe always has some rebate/promotion going on

AVOID Gabriel at AZ 100% garbage

Dave

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I'd go OEM, Bilstein, or Koni.

+1 to those recommendations.

OP, your best bet is to search youtube or a forum dedicated to that generation Mazda's for a DIY. That will be your best information regarding this topic. I can tell you that the times I did rear shock replacements, it was a very easy job. Not much harder than changing oil. The hardest part was taking the wheels off and putting them back on.

Any half way decent shock will be miles better than the worn out stuff on there.

Yeah, Bilstiens and Koni's are good, but for a daughter run-around car ...

Bilstein makes shocks for your 2012 Mazda 6, so that would be my choice
smile.gif

2012? How many miles? My Mazda3 is a 2012 (88,000 miles) and is nowhere near needing shocks.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
2012? How many miles? My Mazda3 is a 2012 (88,000 miles) and is nowhere near needing shocks.

Road conditions and driving styles have a big input on how long shocks/struts last on a vehicle.
Just because your car is fine doesn't negate some one else's experience.

BC.

i put bottom of the barrel Monroe shocks that were so cheap they had no warranty on the Sentra 90K miles ago and they are just starting to go bad.

Its a shame,with the state of technology today that every choice....be it Monroe,Gabriel,Boge,KYB,Koni,Bilstein,etc.....isn't worthy of consideration.Just goes to show,just because things are supposed to get better/smarter/more technologically advanced,doesnt mean it really is.

Since you have had luck w KYB, I would go with them, especially cost. If cost not a factor, get bilstein. If you go Gabriel, get the guardians, not the ultras.

The Mazda OEM shocks for my 2011 Mazda3 include everything, the shock, bumper, upper mount and protective tube, so replacement is basically remove two nuts at the top and the bolt at the bottom, pull old one out, and bolt new one in.

I bet the OEM shock for the 6 is the same, everything in one piece. Pretty simple.

Originally Posted By: ozric
The Mazda OEM shocks for my 2011 Mazda3 include everything, the shock, bumper, upper mount and protective tube, so replacement is basically remove two nuts at the top and the bolt at the bottom, pull old one out, and bolt new one in.

I bet the OEM shock for the 6 is the same, everything in one piece. Pretty simple.

Does the 6 have a live axle? I assume it would be more sophisticated than that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
You may also want to replace the rear upper strut mounts as well.

There is no rear strut mounts, because this car doesn't have rear struts. It has rear shocks.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
You may also want to replace the rear upper strut mounts as well.

There is no rear strut mounts, because this car doesn't have rear struts. It has rear shocks.

You are correct my bad, I did mean shock mounts. And I knew this but, still wrote "STRUT"!
Now, IDK if the Mazda6 has similar "SHOCK" mounts as used in the Mazda3 which are aluminum and corrode/break from the northern winters/salt but, they definitely need to be inspected which was my point.

Thanks,

CB

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back