GM recall Saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 4 years ago, my daughter dropped off her 99 Grand Am before she moved out of the country. Vehicle was in my name, and it sat in the driveway for 6 months before I got sick of looking at it, and call a scrap guy to come and get it. A few months later I got a recall notice in the mail. I ignored it, as I expected the scrap guy to notify govt license office it has been scraped. 6 months later another notice came, and I called the GM 1-800 number, talked to a person about this, she asked me if it had been scrapped. I said yes, and she said no worries you wont get any more notices. 6 months later another recall notice comes. I was near my computer so went to local GM dealer web site, and sent them an email with VIN number and notes that vehicle had been scraped. 6 months later another notice comes. I call GM 1-800 number again, and this time I am told notices will keep coming until registration records are updated to show vehicle scrapped. So on a Saturday I go down to my local license office, and stand in line for what seemed to be forever. Finally get to counter and tell my story and clerk pulls out all kinds of forms and asks me to fill them out and sign here and sign there and then I'm done. That was 8 months ago, and today another recall notice comes. [censored]? At this point i'm done with it and they can send this till the cows come home...

Last edited:
Mark it return to sender. Let them deal with the waste paper.
wink.gif

After I traded off my bought-new 1989 S10 in 1993,I got a recall notice for a bad fan clutch (it was a base 2.5/manual with no fan clutch),I wrote on the notice card "I no longer own this truck,I will never own another GM vehicle ever again,do not send me any more notices,check the VIN/ownership records and contact the new owner".Never got another notice.Plus,I kept my promise,1993 was the last year I owned a GM vehicle.

I keep getting the GM ignition switch recalls every other month or so. In my car the switch is fine and won't be replaced, but they want to modify the key ring slot so you can't hang a bunch of junk on them. They don't replace the key but just put a new plastic top on it without the slot. When they pay me for my time I will go in.

Originally Posted By: sprite1741
...When they pay me for my time I will go in.

I got a $25 Amazon gift card for taking the Cobalt for repair. That was early in the campaign, though.

I keep getting the GM ignition switch recalls every other month or so. In my car the switch is fine and won't be replaced, but they want to modify the key ring slot so you can't hang a bunch of junk on them. They don't replace the key but just put a new plastic top on it without the slot. When they pay me for my time I will go in.

Same here. My 1999 Alero is just fine, and the key mod is a workaround, not a fix.

You can't blame GM for being extra careful based on the circumnstances of the recall and all the publicity it got. They are legally required to fix these cars so they are careful to follow the letter of the law and use government databases (titles) to track all recalled vehicles. They can't help it if your title is still "good" and they don't know the car is scrapped nor would they take a person's word for it. I don't blame them. If the complaint was the other way around, somebody didn't get a recall notice, there would be all sorts of crying.

Just throw it away - you did all you could.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
You can't blame GM for being extra careful based on the circumnstances of the recall and all the publicity it got. They are legally required to fix these cars so they are careful to follow the letter of the law and use government databases (titles) to track all recalled vehicles. They can't help it if your title is still "good" and they don't know the car is scrapped nor would they take a person's word for it. I don't blame them. If the complaint was the other way around, somebody didn't get a recall notice, there would be all sorts of crying.

Just throw it away - you did all you could.

Well the first time a called GM they said they would look after it so that person had no clue what they are talking about. This recall is related to the ignition switch

"Junk mail" or generally unwanted mail is aggravating at times. I guess to look on the bright side, at least the notices are getting out. I used to get a couple Town Car notices in the mail, long after those vehicles were gone from my personal and fleet use, but they stopped on their own.

If SiriusXM would stop bugging me, I'd be happy.
wink.gif
Perhaps the OP doesn't like waste. GM doesn't need to waste postage and paper on him any more than does SiriusXM on me, and it's not his job to throw out GM's garbage any more than it's my job to throw out SiriusXM's waste paper.

I still get junk mail and phone calls trying to sell me extended warranties on cars I haven't owned for 10 years.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I still get junk mail and phone calls trying to sell me extended warranties on cars I haven't owned for 10 years.

Lol, I still get them for my 19 year old Sienna with nearly 400,000 miles
wink.gif

Yep, that's the best part...the recall literally involves super gluing plastic inserts to the key and adding small key rings to attach to your main key ring/fobs. It's pretty ridiculous.

A customer had an old 01-05 Impala towed in thinking the recall would fix their no- start problem despite being advised otherwise..needless to say it didn't and the Impala left on a tow truck. No kidding.

Last edited:
We are getting a bunch of Mazdas in for the Takata recall that have the airbag light on. Mazda states the customer is on the hook to fix the airbag light before we are supposed to do the recall, but the writers don't want to deal with it, good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back