Fram Ultra media not used in their racing filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it? The Ultra is supposed to be the best flowing, strongest, but for racing they don't choose it. Just a question, nothing more.

Aren't race car engines regularly torn down and rebuilt? So longevity isn't a concern?

I think the context of the claim was best flowing compared to other 99.9% @20um rated filters. My 6.0 lq9 has mild piston slap and lifter rattle at startup using an Ultra. Switched to a TG, pretty much gone. So real life experience says it is slightly restrictive. That may be ok for some engines, not others.

Ultra media is very efficient, and efficiency sacrifices flow usually. The Fram HP line is not efficient (as far as particulate removal) but flows like crazy.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Aren't race car engines regularly torn down and rebuilt? So longevity isn't a concern?

If you ask any F1 team I think they might say longevity is a huge concern.

In racing the engine starts out clean (from the clean room build), so the job of the filter is to catch bits of Fe metals and other debris that could cause instant damage. They are not looking for microscopic wear metals and ultra small particles.

Many race engines use a dry sump, so lots of space to settle big pieces. They need flow of oil for cooling and lube more that they need efficiency ...

I think the main feature of a racing filter is that it needs to filter high volumes without going into the bypass mode. A more restrictive media might cause a bypass condition at high rpm.

Fram says something about for racing use only too, which I find interesting.

Are they around 50% effecient?

I just like them for the paint job on a classic car. Always liked the extra guard, but a solid glossy orange would sure look nice.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I think the context of the claim was best flowing compared to other 99.9% @20um rated filters. My 6.0 lq9 has mild piston slap and lifter rattle at startup using an Ultra. Switched to a TG, pretty much gone. So real life experience says it is slightly restrictive. That may be ok for some engines, not others.

I had the same issue. Switched to OEM filter and problem gone!

I too had issue with ULTRA on a Subaru. TG worked OK so it wasn't the baseplate design causing cavitation in the filter can. On the Nissan only Champ Labs (M1) filters work to silence off racket, and the larger V8 Titan one at that. I GUARANTEE that if I continued to run NISSAN OEM filters the engine would be TRASHED just like what happened with my porr Versa Note; 1.6L Engine killed one cold day by poor flowing China made Nissan garbage filter - And it was only like 27F not sub zero!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: deven

This sounds to me more like a problem with the Bypass valve not opening up as it should? maybe it requires a very slight bit more pressure for some reason?

Agree. I use jobber type, 5k mile, or ac delco filters w zero issues. I tried the ultra once and never again.

Race engines flow an incredible amount of oil, more than typical media can handle without bypassing, so they use a more porous media to increase flow at the expense of efficiency. Makes sense. Better to have all the oil filtered to some extent than a portion of it not filtered at all (due to bypassing).

FWIW, I was at a Formula Drift event back in April, and nearly everyone was using the K&N racing oil filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Race engines flow an incredible amount of oil, more than typical media can handle without bypassing, so they use a more porous media to increase flow at the expense of efficiency.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Fram says something about for racing use only too, which I find interesting. Are they around 50% effecient?
Originally Posted By: 69Torino
Ultra media is very efficient, and efficiency sacrifices flow usually. The Fram HP line is not efficient (as far as particulate removal) but flows like crazy.

A lot of bad information here.

Racing only usage? No. Fram says they can be used on the street, everday use. Really the media they use looks kinda typical. Strong blended glass fiber and paper media, made to take abuse. Street, yes.

Efficiency bad? No, it filters very well. 94% at 20 microns is better than most of the the oil filters out there. Not bad at all. Close to a Wix NapaGold rating actually. Range of %'s at 20 microns of all filters you can get are around ~50% to 99.5%, so this one is quite good at 94%. .... http://www.fram.com/media/1075/fram-racing-filter-sell-sheet.pdf

They could have used the Fram Ultra's media. It flows just fine. I'm not sure why they went with the glass fiber paper blend type. It does work though.

full-37575-4344-20170210_142553.jpg

*Metal end caps
*silicone adbv
*extremely thick tapping plate and can
*screen over bypass valve
*94% efficient @ 20 microns

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Originally Posted By: CT8
They have the screen over the bypass Like the Tough Guard used to have. I wonder why the U G element isn't used?

This filter media was engineered for flow, not capacity. It is a real nice balance of high flow and decent 94%@20 mcron efficiency. Still has enough capacity to meet OE change interval of any modern high performance car.

full-37575-4351-20170210_142721.jpg

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4346078/1

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
If you ask any F1 team I think they might say longevity is a huge concern.

Yes, no more three engines per car per weekend; now it's three engines per car per season.

WIX Racing Filters link

“Advanced Performance (AP) Oil Filters use a media that is rated at a Frazier air flow of approximately 267 CFM and is wire-backed. The unique wire-backing provides a very stable base for a media blend of fiberglass, polyester and cellulose. This media is resistant to high temperatures and water levels in the oil that can plug standard media types. Our Advanced Performance media is designed to provide a high positive oil flow with low restriction.
High Efficiency Endurance (HEE) Oil Filters use a media rated at a Fraizer air flow of approximately 75 CFM. This media contains a higher resin content than our Advanced Performance Filters to trap and hold smaller contaminant's and provide higher efficiency.”

Racing filters sacrifice efficiency for flow. Look at the flow rate for the racing filters (28-30 gallons per minute) compared to their passenger applications (7-9 gpm). They are also designed to operate at high delta pressures (no bypass valve for many). You can’t have your cake and eat it too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mazdamonky

This sounds to me more like a problem with the Bypass valve not opening up as it should? maybe it requires a very slight bit more pressure for some reason?

Could be but your guess is as good as mine. All I know is that switching filters solved the issue.

Racing filters sacrifice efficiency for flow.
And yet Fram Racing oil filters have a very good 94% @ 20 microns 4548-12 efficiency. This is in the upper tier of street vehicle numbers. Quite good. Efficiency is good, yet capacity to hold more dirt isn't the best, according to Motorking. Still, it will go a full oil change interval in any high performance street car or racing engine. Just not as much dirt holding capacity (grams of junk) as Fram Ultra is capable of.
Look at the flow rate for the racing filters (28-30 gallons per minute) compared to their passenger applications (7-9 gpm).
OK, I'll look at it: Fram Racing oil filters have a flow rating 10-18 GPM, they state clearly.
They are also designed to operate at high delta pressures (no bypass valve for many). You can’t have your cake and eat it too.
Fram Racing oil filters have bypass valves, set at 22 psi, except the HP6 and HP17 sizes don't have one, although the engine itself probably has some kind of bypass built-in to the block for those particular models.

Certainly can't use a Fram Racing oil filter in any engine that has more than 18 GPM of oil flow, as Fram states. One has to know that number. Most high-performance engines will flow less than that anyway.

I don’t know what you’re trying to get at. They are different media for different use cases. In general, a racing media is optimized for flow under all circumstances while a passenger car filter is optimized for efficiency/dirt holding capacity (within a particular brand of course).

Usually these filters are used in remote mount locations and it’s very common to have no bypass valve at all (external or internal), since the engine is only ran hard when up to temp and the oil/filter gets changed so often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back