Fram EG with no ADBV

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I was filling up my oil filter the oil started overflowing but quickly drained into the inlet holes making this filter suspicious. So I held it upside down and oil drained out of the inlet holes....yep something isn't right. I can't say for sure if the Fram Extra Guard is missing a ADBV or not but it's definately not functioning correctly. Luckily I don't need one on my truck. But I thought I'd share this bit of info along to you all.

Isn't the ADBV supposed to keep oil in the filter, rather than keep oil that drained into the drain holes in the filter? That oil never made it past the ADBV in the first place.

As far as the filter filling up quickly, well, that's your media not allowing flow without pressure. I bet a C&P will show it normal on the inside.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
Isn't the ADBV supposed to keep oil in the filter, rather than keep oil that drained into the drain holes in the filter? That oil never made it past the ADBV in the first place.

As far as the filter filling up quickly, well, that's your media not allowing flow without pressure. I bet a C&P will show it normal on the inside.

+1

You should be able to see the ADBV if it has one by looking into the base plate inlet holes.

The Ultra versions do have a ADBV for some reason.

Hh4YTMh.jpg

skLHKHf.jpg

If you want a Fram EG with a ADBV use pn 3506 or 3675.

GM has a number of engines that use a vertical-hung filter. No ADBV needed and the bypass is in the engine. That's why I avoid filters with a spring inside, like Wix filters come with, Don't need any spring or ADBV.

Quote:
GM has a number of engines that use a vertical-hung filter. No ADBV needed and the bypass is in the engine. That's why I avoid filters with a spring inside, like Wix filters come with, Don't need any spring or ADBV.

Seen similar comment twice recently now, so 'IMO' clarification is needed.

First, Wix uses no thread end or dome end bypass (spring) in applications for 'older GM' and others that have block bypass. So there's no "spring inside" to avoid on those applications. The only spring used is the compression spring which in Wix's case happens to be a coil spring, as opposed to the leaf/flat spring used by Fram and others. Compression springs are required and used on all applications.

Second, yes 'Fram' chooses to use no adbv in this application. Been discussed here before. However, many other manufacturers of filters for this same application choose to use an adbv. Using an adbv even where not specifically required hurts nothing. Not true of vice versa. The FU shown is but one example, Wix/Napa Gold another. And iirc, the ACDelco OEM replacement filter(s) for older GM all spec/use an adbv. This is true, even as some of the GM factory filters use none.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
The PH and TG9837 do not come with an ADBV, only the ultra. its for a GM application

I just cut my old filter open and there was no ADBV.

Don't have to cut it open to determine if there's an ADBV or not. Easily visible by looking at the base plate holes.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
While I was filling up my oil filter the oil started overflowing but quickly drained into the inlet holes making this filter suspicious. So I held it upside down and oil drained out of the inlet holes....yep something isn't right. I can't say for sure if the Fram Extra Guard is missing a ADBV or not but it's definately not functioning correctly. Luckily I don't need one on my truck. But I thought I'd share this bit of info along to you all.

I made a post a few years ago. I was looking at FRAM EXTRA GAURDS at walmart and there was a few that had no ADBV and I took a picture and posted it here. If I remember it correctly i was told if the filter is not side wise or upside down thent he car dosent need a ADBV Since the filter is mounted strigt up.

here was the filter.

16b12qp.jpg

and here is a example fromt he post
credit goes to danthaman1980

IMG_0647.JPG

If you want to read post here it is.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3137847/Re:_FRAM_Tough_Gaurd_Filter_mi#Post3137847

Wait, help me out here. Is the diagram in David1's post correct? Does the oil flow into the filter via the center tube, and then through the media, and then back into the engine via the smaller holes around the edge of the filter?

I thought it was the opposite. Here, Mann has a video where you can see their depiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AajTItBn148

At 1:08, and again at 3:57, the oil is seen entering the filter via the small holes around the edge, and then flowing back into the engine via the center tube.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: David1

IMG_0647.JPG

If you want to read post here it is.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3137847/Re:_FRAM_Tough_Gaurd_Filter_mi#Post3137847

Originally Posted By: paulri
Wait, help me out here. Is the diagram in David1's post correct? Does the oil flow into the filter via the center tube, and then through the media, and then back into the engine via the smaller holes around the edge of the filter?

That drawing is showing how the oil flows backwards through the filter when the engine is off and the filter is above the sump oil level, and the ADBV leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back