Favorite ACEA E6/E9?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the ACEA specs, E6/E9 oils are held to a far higher standard for wear, cleanliness than A3/B4/C3. What are some good E6/E9 oils? I was really impressed with Delo’s new 10W-30 “XLE” semi syn specs.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
I was really impressed with Delo’s new 10W-30 “XLE” semi syn specs.

I've been using that oil for almost 200k miles in my Detroit Diesel. It's doing great in that application. I can't say anything about it in a gasoline engine, though.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
I have 6 gallons of this oil on the shelf due to these specs and WM clearance... I may drop some in my Fusion for about a 7.5k OCI and see what it looks like used.

My local Walmart has two, dust covered quarts of it. It's not a hot seller I guess, as I've seen several mentions of it being clearance priced.

I like what I'm using now, the Shell Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5w-30. Mobil and Chevron have their versions in the same viscosity, too. Castrol's version, oddly enough, lacks the SM or SN, despite being low phosphorus.

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
I've been using that oil for almost 200k miles in my Detroit Diesel. It's doing great in that application. I can't say anything about it in a gasoline engine, though.

I saw your UOAs the other day. Very impressive! Shows that there’s more than just zddp concentration and viscosity to a “stout” oil.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I like what I'm using now, the Shell Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5w-30. Mobil and Chevron have their versions in the same viscosity, too. Castrol's version, oddly enough, lacks the SM or SN, despite being low phosphorus.

Curious, what made you go with the Shell? All three look really good.

They aren't higher standard, they are different. Personally I certainly wouldn't on purpose go with HDEO over PCMO (ACEA) unless I have given the oil for free or had chance to buy it way cheaper. I have used it in a Petrol engine for the reason above.

To answer your question my favorite oils are Urania 5w30 FE/LS and Rimula E6. First was free, second is GTL which I like.

Subie was close, but it was Chris Guerrero.
wink.gif
He and Shell Commercial Lubricants sent me 9 U.S. gallons.

It was in my top three choices for a replacement for my Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 after the CK-4 rollout, anyhow. If I was stuck purchasing it, the Shell would have had a slight edge, anyhow. Price compared to Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 was very close (the Delvac was also in my top three choices), but the Shell in Canada comes in 5 L containers, which is much more handy for my G37's 4.9 L sump, versus the 3.785 L Delvac 1 LE containers. Ironically, the free Rotella I got is U.S. sourced, so it's in 3.785 L (1 U.S. gallon) containers anyhow, so I didn't get to escape the odd sizing.

Good deal. The Rotella certainly looks good on paper... and can’t argue with free oil. I had no idea Castrol even made HDEO. I’ve never seen it.

They make a few lines. In fact, at some of our stores, you can find up to four varieties of Castrol 15w-40. I haven't seen their E6 variety out there yet, but I haven't really looked. Up here, it's probably available. Wakefield pushes pretty hard. At one store, a few years back, I saw a Castrol Elixion, a Vection, and two varieties of GTX 15w-40 HDEO, so they're there, if you go to the right place.

The Rotella here would have been available through one of the distributors and our NAPA stores have it on their site, too. I think it's a good choice for me, for free or for pay. It exceeds the requirements for my vehicle, and up here, HDEOs can be found at a good price more readily than PCMOs. That's not to say I can't find a good deal on PCMO, but the everyday price on HDEOs at the distributors makes them very attractive here.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
They aren't higher standard, they are different.

Exactly this. Different horses for different courses.

Both A3/B3/B4 and E7/E9 do use the same diesel engine wear test, the OM646LA (Mercedes 2.2l, 4-cyl, turbodiesel) however the exhaust cam wear limit is 140 um for A3/B3/B4 which is the same as for E6; E9 only needs 155 um (so is less severe than the A3/B3/B4 and E6 specs). Additionally the A specs also required various other wear factors (inlet cams, cylinder wear, bore polish) which the E categories don't demand. The A categories also require a gasoline engine wear test (used to be the PSA TU3M, will become the Seq IVB).

The Es also need an OM501LA (Merc 12l V6), a Cummins ISM (11l i6) and a Mack T12 (12l i6) which might suggest they have a greater wear standard, but really means they are tested more for wear (especially with soot), not necessarily that they are better.

So bottom the line A3/B4 specd oils are more potent then ACEA Ex? How come if full saps HDEOs have loads of ZDDP?

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
So bottom the line A3/B4 specd oils are more potent then ACEA Ex? How come if full saps HDEOs have loads of ZDDP?

Nobody said that. A couple of us said different.

Also, ZDDP is not a universal panacea. And HD engines have to deal with wear-inducing soot levels that cars tend not to. E specs are set up to deliver HD-relevant performance. A/B/C specs do the same for cars. Neither caters specifically for the other.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Subie was close, but it was Chris Guerrero.
wink.gif
He and Shell Commercial Lubricants sent me 9 U.S. gallons.

It was in my top three choices for a replacement for my Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 after the CK-4 rollout, anyhow. If I was stuck purchasing it, the Shell would have had a slight edge, anyhow. Price compared to Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 was very close (the Delvac was also in my top three choices), but the Shell in Canada comes in 5 L containers, which is much more handy for my G37's 4.9 L sump, versus the 3.785 L Delvac 1 LE containers. Ironically, the free Rotella I got is U.S. sourced, so it's in 3.785 L (1 U.S. gallon) containers anyhow, so I didn't get to escape the odd sizing.

T6 Multi-Vehicle looks to be predominately GTL-based. To me, GTL incorporates the best of Group III and PAO. Additive solubility (Group III) and cold characteristics/volatility (PAO).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back