Windshield Wiper Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if anyone has done there own Windshield Wiper Test (Beam Type) ? I put a Rain-X wiper on the drivers side about two years ago and a Michelin on the passenger side not long after and the Michelin already came apart. I just replaced the Michelin with a Bosch Marathon.
This will be the beginning of my own test. Do you have anything to add ?

I've been using the Rain-X Latitude BEAM wiper blades on my vehicles for the past several years and I do like them very much. As the matter of fact, I like other beam style blades as well. I have only tried the R-X, Valvoline, and Simonize brands and I do notice that they all separate/split after about 1+ years. But, I do like the wiping & clearing action that they all provide.

I just bought a Michelin wiper this morning at Walmart for $5.87 or so to replace the rusty and separating Supertech. Which was about a year old I believe. Wiping action was fine but the rusty frame is not fun to look at. Meanwhile the oem frame on the passenger side that is 13 years old still looks good.

I saved the old ST packaging to put the old oem blade in. In case I decide to put oem refills in it. But on the back of the ST package it says to remove rust of the old blade before removing.

Anyway I can't get the old ST wiper off. Even checked this youtube video for help and still doesn't come off. I can't remember if I used the adapter on it or not. Whew! Right around the 5:26 mark he shows the removal of the ST wiper but still can't get it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-eZ47Kun9g

I used Rain-X Latitudes once, and one sunny day I went to use my windshield washers, and on the first up-swing of the wipers, the drivers side wiper flew right off the car. The whole beam part of the wiper separated off, leaving just the plastic bracket still firmly attached to the j-hook on the end of the wiper arm against my windshield. I used Bosch Icons and Marathons before that, and went back to them afterward and still ever since, although I may use Tricos next.

After that I will never buy Rain-X wipers again. If that had happened during heavy rain it would have been a really bad situation instead of just an inconvenience. Never seen another wiper do that before or since.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
It's the small J-hook.

You may need a flashlight to see where the locking mechanism is to release it.

Yup, and they cause nothing but problems at parts stores when people buy wipers for themselves.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
I used Rain-X Latitudes once, and one sunny day I went to use my windshield washers, and on the first up-swing of the wipers, the drivers side wiper flew right off the car. The whole beam part of the wiper separated off, leaving just the plastic bracket still firmly attached to the j-hook on the end of the wiper arm against my windshield. I used Bosch Icons and Marathons before that, and went back to them afterward and still ever since, although I may use Tricos next.

After that I will never buy Rain-X wipers again. If that had happened during heavy rain it would have been a really bad situation instead of just an inconvenience. Never seen another wiper do that before or since.

This happened to my daughter during a rainstorm. I called Rain-X and they refunded us money on a new one. It's the only time this happened.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Yup, and they cause nothing but problems at parts stores when people buy wipers for themselves.

Yes, particularly when they can't be bothered reading the application guide, and instead choose by what they think the size might be, and then blame the cashier when they bought something totally inappropriate. No wonder Canadian Tire has to have absurdly high markup on wipers, given the foolish returns they must process daily.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
It's the small J-hook.

You may need a flashlight to see where the locking mechanism is to release it.

Still couldn't get it. I noticed at the Walmart TLE where I bought them that they install their house brand wipers for $10 each. So went in first thing in the am when they weren't busy and talked to one of the techs. He put it on for me with no issues and very quickly. I was there and watched him do it. Since the old one was an ST I figured someone there could do it easily. Nice to have that rusty old wiper gone. The simple things.

I have tried just about every wiper blade that's available and I'm convinced there is no difference in either performance, or how long they last. I just buy the cheapest ones I can find and they work just fine...

I've tried them all and always go back to OEM. Heck the Honda OEM replacement refills are about $4-5 each and the service department will install them for free at my local dealer.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
It's the small J-hook.

Maybe find an OE Honda wiper that will fit. Amazing wipers, and you can get refills for like $4.

Good idea, I've had good luck with them on my 94 Civic and 99 Accord.

I prefer OEM(or NWB/Denso), Valeo, Trico, Bosch in that order. I never had luck with Anco and I will never use Costco Goodyear blades on anything that isn't older domestic.

I've had a Goodyear aero blade fly off in a storm, and I had to use them on a friend's truck 2 weekends ago. The funny part about those is that they work great on old American wipers and windshields - a friend who has an 87 Cougar ain't complaining, the set I installed on a 98 Tahoe still wipes fine and there was a pair on a 96 Nissan Quest that worked fine too.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
It's the small J-hook.

Maybe find an OE Honda wiper that will fit. Amazing wipers, and you can get refills for like $4.

Good idea, I've had good luck with them on my 94 Civic and 99 Accord.

Yup. Use them on all my Hondas (of course), but also my Mazda3 and even Suburban. Wish the BMW did not have such weird mounts, and OE for that car are over $100 for the pair.

I like Silicone wiper blades. Last alot longer than the rubber wipers at your local auto parts store.

The local stores dont carry silicone blades because they make so much money with the inferior rubber ones its their bread and butter.

Easily get 3 to 5 years of life from one silicone blade. When it starts streaking just rub it (sharpen it) with a small square of fine grit sandpaper and it will be good for another 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back