PurolatorBoss cut open after 16,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: maxdustington
He just had to mention the cardboard end caps on the Fram, the video would not be complete with the cliche Fram criticism.
Except the FRAM equivalent of a Purolator Boss is the Ultra which has metal end caps (heh... debatable if it requires an Ultra to best a Purolator though).
crackmeup2.gif

He just had to mention the cardboard end caps on the Fram, the video would not be complete with the cliche Fram criticism.

Tear-o-lator!

If Fram did away with those end caps 50 years ago they would still be mentioned.
Very tiring.

I'd thought about using Boss but their efficiency rating is too low and they are locally priced over $12. I can get both an M1 filter and an Ultra a couple dollars cheaper and with a much higher efficiency rate it just makes no sense to go there.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
I'd thought about using Boss but their efficiency rating is too low and they are locally priced over $12. I can get both an M1 filter and an Ultra a couple dollars cheaper and with a much higher efficiency rate it just makes no sense to go there.

Not worth it IMO, M1 oil filters are $10 everyday at Walmart

Dave

maxdustington said:

Tear-o-lator! [/quote

Fram should stop using cardboard end caps. I think it's cost them more in profits than they've saved.

Originally Posted By: GMguy84
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Not worth it IMO, M1 oil filters are $10 everyday at Walmart

Dave

Fram Ultra or Mobil 1 filters for me. I won't even consider a Purolator. I've given up on AAP oil change specials years ago because of the Purolator filters. Occasionally they'd run them with a Mobil 1 filter and I'd buy if the deal looked good.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Fram Ultra or Mobil 1 filters for me. I won't even consider a Purolator. I've given up on AAP oil change specials years ago because of the Purolator filters. Occasionally they'd run them with a Mobil 1 filter and I'd buy if the deal looked good.

Same here, I have Mobil 1 filters on my Suburban/Trans am and my Crown vic has a FUG XG2

Before my BITOG days, I use to run TEAROLATORS on my Suburban. But once I found out they were bad, I switched to a M1 filter I got for $7 and now FUG

Dave

Last edited:

Same here, I have Mobil 1 filters on my Suburban/Trans am and my Crown vic has a FUG XG2

Before my BITOG days, I use to run TEAROLATORS on my Suburban. But once I found out they were bad, I switched to a M1 filter I got for $7 and now FUG

Dave

I used Fram filters for decades before joining this site, I switched to Purolator because of this site. When they started having problems with the paint flakes on the base plate and gasket with the Pure One color change to the puke color, it was the beginning of the end for them. Combine that with the tearing issues and I got rid of my stash and was done with them.

I forget that people outside of BITOG have such a hate for Fram filters. I did my part and described that the end caps are by no means cardboard and that the Fram Ultra is an awesome filter!

Dave

I used Fram filters for decades before joining this site, I switched to Purolator because of this site. When they started having problems with the paint flakes on the base plate and gasket with the Pure One color change to the puke color, it was the beginning of the end for them. Combine that with the tearing issues and I got rid of my stash and was done with them.

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
I forget that people outside of BITOG have such a hate for Fram filters. I did my part and described that the end caps are by no means cardboard and that the Fram Ultra is an awesome filter!

I probably started reading BITOG around 2010, but I have seen it mentioned here that this board invented the term OCOD, and hated Fram during the early 2000s I believe. Puros were the hot ticket up until they started cheapening as demar pointed out. I think Fram overtook Puro in like 2012-2014 and the height of the Tear-o-lator era I think was 2014-2015.

What I find strange is how the public somehow figured out that Fram sucked, either from leaked BITOG knowledge from before social media took over, or by assuming that cardboard end caps mean low quality. Many BITOGers have been or are fooled by them, so it can be reasoned that the public sure likes them metal end caps.

I wish the public knew the truth about Fram! Silicone ADBV brand wide and value at all price points.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TheLawnRanger
maxdustington said:

Tear-o-lator! [/quote

Fram should stop using cardboard end caps. I think it's cost them more in profits than they've saved.

I never viewed it as a cost cutting measure and Fram has never stated it was either.

As far as I'm concerned it makes the end cap stick to the filter media better because they're both fiber-based. The potting they use sticks better to fiber than metal. You can't remove an end cap from a Fram without tearing it but I've had more than one Purolator where the end cap was already detached as soon as I pulled the filter out of the can. Numerous other people here have run into end cap detached Purolators.

Fram explained themselves in one of their videos, the only reason the ultra has metal end caps is that the synthetic media needs a deeper well of adhesive to bond. If you look at the metal end caps they always have raised edges to form a sort of dish or pan. That holds the large amount of adhesive needed for the synthetic media without it running all off the edges of the end cap.

What I find strange is how the public somehow figured out that Fram sucked, either from leaked BITOG knowledge from before social media took over, or by assuming that cardboard end caps mean low quality. Many BITOGers have been or are fooled by them, so it can be reasoned that the public sure likes them metal end caps.

If that same public know just how many oil filters don't have metal end caps they would have to throw all those into the "they suck" category too. The general public runs on rumors, some of which are decades old and have no idea what's really going on in real time.

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe

I never viewed it as a cost cutting measure and Fram has never stated it was either.

As far as I'm concerned it makes the end cap stick to the filter media better because they're both fiber-based. The potting they use sticks better to fiber than metal. You can't remove an end cap from a Fram without tearing it but ...
Better they should simply stop using end caps, period, at least on cartridge filters that don't have the Ultra's metal backing. Other manufacturers (Denso, for example) make endcapless designs function well.

While I don't like some things about Fram, I'm like to hear good things about the company for nostalgic reasons. It's one of the first auto related companies I remember from childhood. If I couldn't get a Wix, I would use a Fram without worrying too much. I've noticed that even on the worst cut and posts of any brand filter, you rarely see where the cars was damaged because of the filter's condition.

I initially posted the YouTube link about the PurolatorBoss cut open after 16,000 miles so that it could be evaluated on its own merit and not for comparison purposes. I thought it would provide good information on the quality of this product. Obviously there are other good choices like the Fram Ultra and the Mobil 1. Both cost $10 or less at Walmart. The PurolatorBoss is cost effective only when purchased as part of an oil and filter special at Advance Auto Parts. I do like the thickness of the PurolatorBoss casing which is 0.024", thicker than any other filter. K&N comes close at 0.023". Also, the media of the PurolatorBoss is fully synthetic and much stronger than any other as it has an integrated polymer mesh. The media ends are also clamped and not glued. Not sure if clamp is better than glue but it would seem so to me. At any rate, this video should provide a good level of confidence to anyone who wants to use the PurolatorBoss or any other Purolator filter for that matter. Perhaps the Purolator tearing issues are something of the past. And as we all know, other brands have also been found to have some defects from time to time, including the tearing problems. I do agree that it would be nice if Purolator provided information on the filtration rate of the PurolatorBoss. Some on this site have said it is 99% at 32 microns. That is not much worse than Mobil 1 and certainly better than Wix XP. Here is the YouTube link once again for those that have not seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjGQ6Vr8EgY

Last edited:

Yes, I'm sure their market share has suffered terribly.
whistle.gif
Personally, I'm not a fan of their end caps either, but in retail locations, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Fram filter.

Originally Posted By: Baracoa
I do agree that it would be nice if Purolator provided information on the filtration rate of the PurolatorBoss. Some on this site have said it is 99% at 32 microns. That is not much worse than Mobil 1 and certainly better than Wix XP. Here is the YouTube link once again for those that have not seen it.

When I called Purolator Tech Line, they told me the Boss was 99% @ 40 microns - LINK

Purolator still doesn't show at what micron level their efficiency numbers are at, as the person I talked to made it sound like they were going to add that info to their website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back