Edd China's new YT show

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stopped watching Wheeler Dealers when Edd left. Mike Brewer's shenanigans were just window dressing for me until we got to see Edd get down to the "greasy bits". I guess Mike thinks the show is all about him. I'll subscribe to Edd's channel.

I thought i wouldn't like the new guy on WD but actually do. It's different but still enjoyable. Looking forward to see Ed's new gig.

Originally Posted By: 2strokeNorthstar
Is the new Wheeler Dealer mechanic even real? He was using metric on an old Ford Ranchero. Often works unsafe as well. Seems more like an actor

Yeah, i stopped watching when Ed left. Ill watch ed's new show instead

Originally Posted By: wemay
I thought i wouldn't like the new guy on WD but actually do. It's different but still enjoyable. Looking forward to see Ed's new gig.

+1, while I probably prefer Ed a bit more the new guy is just fine. Watching old re-runs gets old after a while.

Not a bad episode. I noticed he used no anti-sieze on the rear caliper bolts. He also didn't torque the rear wheel when it was sitting on the ground. Uses his feet to keep the wheel from spinning.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Not a bad episode. I noticed he used no anti-sieze on the rear caliper bolts. He also didn't torque the rear wheel when it was sitting on the ground. Uses his feet to keep the wheel from spinning.

They are just not showing all of the smaller (and relevant) details like they did when Edd was there. This is the reason that Edd departed.

Don't care for the new guy or the way the show devolved. Seems like it's been dumbed down as far as the technical aspects go. Too bad as it was an interesting show before the change.

I didn't think it was too bad. They did an 82 Toyota Celica manual as well. They did a good job of updating the car and keep it oem.

I like the new guy, but then again I am not much of a mechanic and did not realize the new guy may be doing things wrong.

Ant is a moron. He's all about the feels, smells, (and tastes?) of everything, without ever explaining what he's actually doing. He blabs on and on and the work just magically appears in front of him.

FWIW, I, too, believe that Edd China's presence -- specifically what he brought to the program -- was what made Wheeler Dealers worth watching. As they say in the biz, "The camera loves him." The new guy has none of that. He comes across as clone-like. I also agree with Edd that what made the original programming worth watching was the depth of the programming; seeing how projects were chosen and repairs were accomplished -- a beginning, a middle and an end. Edd insisted that we see the nitty-gritty of the work involved. He wasn't trying to sell a product or a tool, he was doing the job at hand. And, to my eyes at least, much of what Edd did was fascinating to watch. And, yeah, the new show, focused on a Mk1 V-Dub GTI, is great. I wish him the best.

Link to the new "Edd China's Garage Revival":https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6ofrdxbm3RijOx6NsMU8Sg

you know if you have unlimited access to tools and supplies you can make any car worth more than what you bought it for. Well as long as your only paying the mechanic minimum wage or less. I enjoy the show. The new guy seems to do more machining or fabrication that the average guy cant do or afford to have someone do. Its just entertainment.

The best part of the new show is that it dispenses Mike's negotiation segments, which are painfully fake and mostly a waste of time. I don't mind when he gets his hands dirty with the subs, in a effort to get him more involved in the hands on work, but the other parts...

That said, I don't think the new guy on WD is that bad. None of these shows are anything more than show-and-tell primers anyway; nobody should be relying on them as repair guides, and if one wishes to nitpick, even Edd's work can be scrutinized.

Both these shows are still miles ahead of the personality-driven shows (think "American Chopper" and the like where the shop/personalities are equally emphasized), or the others that are purportedly about the work, but really just shallow plugs for products and vendors. I'm not gonna watch a show where there are ad segments, or with the RockAuto guy standing in front of product, together with the hosts doing a sales pitch.

Neither Edd's new show or the new WD fall to that level...yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back