Headliner repair 1986 F-250

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the process of restoring the headliner on my 1986 F-250. I've pulled the headliner off, removed the fabric and foam on the interior side 100%. All I'm left with is essentially a large piece of layered cardboard that has some insulation material in the middle (looks like asbestos but probably isn't). It has thick felt backing on the side that sits against the metal roof.

I need to adhere the new foam backed material to the interior side of the headliner. I'm using this product https://www.joann.com/headliner-tan-utility-vinyl/9198672.html which is the appropriate material for the job. What adhesive should I use?

Yup
smile.gif

We removed the loose fabric in a Dodge van, left the insulating backing that the fabric was attached to and painted it black,,looks good now...a shop wanted 300 bucks to put fabric back on it,,,

My first inkling would be 3M high strength 90 spray adhesive. I'd want to test the material first though, to verify it doesn't soak through or whatnot.

I tried the 3M adhesive back in the 1990s and it didn't work very well; the headliner dropped after about a year. Hopefully they changed the glue since then.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
We removed the loose fabric in a Dodge van, left the insulating backing that the fabric was attached to and painted it black,,looks good now...a shop wanted 300 bucks to put fabric back on it,,,

This is what I would do.

I guess I must be an old hillbilly. If I had a 30+ year old running vehicle with a ripped headliner, I would pull it completely out, and keep on trucking with it that way.

I used the 3M product for a headliner on my '90 Miata hard top and it worked perfectly. Was still holding when I traded it in 2001.I also used it for adding fiberglass hood insulation to a car and it never came loose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back