Another Amsoil price increase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to mention is was reformulated to be di turbo friendly ahead of most of the field. If I had a di this would be on my short list of appropriate oils. And trust me I am not an Amsoil user. The cost of my redline went up a huge amount in the last 8 years, well over 4 dollars a qrt.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
A lot of arbitrary frugality on BITOG; people buy expensive cars when other better performing cheaper ones are available and then proclaim there is no reason to spend an extra $15/year for an oil change.....

It is about choices; Amsoil provides an option for people who actually do extended OC.

Quote:

Every brand has their devotees and if Amsoil doubled their price, there are those who will not hesitate to pay it and still call it "cheap insurance".

Yes, and also people who dump barely used oil and filters and proclaim the same.

Right on!!!!!!

It is all relative. I won't buy Starbucks because they are too much. I won't buy a steak costing $ 8-10 a pound. I wouldn't buy a bottle of wine over 10.00. But many people will do all these things.

Everyone places different values on different things for different reasons.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman
It is all relative. I won't buy Starbucks because they are too much. I won't buy a steak costing $ 8-10 a pound. I wouldn't buy a bottle of wine over 10.00. But many people will do all these things.

Yep!

And I am one of them.

After decades of pinching pennies, doing my own maintenance, driving old beaters, and saving for the future, I am just fine with a nice steak, or better, a very nice dinner, and a good bottle of wine, a good coffee, a new gun, whatever.

And AMSOIL is still reasonably priced. Still offers good products.

The price difference between AMSOIL and other synthetics is about the price of a Starbucks anyway, which most spend without thinking. That same price difference is less than the cost of me starting my truck, and driving to the closest Walmart to check oil prices, which all the "cheapskates" on BITOG do with incredible regularity.

So, tell you what, I'll skip going to Walmart, sit at home, spend five minutes ordering oil, have that nice glass of wine, and STILL spend less than the cheapskate out driving around comparing prices....

Not picking on you ZZman, time was, I wouldn't pay for those things either. But now, my time, and my mileage, are a consideration. And when I consider them, a few bucks more on decent stuff, while saving a few bucks, or better, time, shopping, makes great sense.

Last edited:
I have to admit, never thought about it this way. Ok Amsoil, i’m still your’s bahahah

I have used their MTF in my cars over the years, great product. Their oil on the other hand, was always several bucks more than quality synthetics from walmart. In a $30,000 car, I could not justify spending for ultra premium syn when run of the mill syn will do. if I had a bentley/rolls royce/porsche, I could see spending the extra few bucks.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: JustN89
This is their 3rd price increase this year, correct?

No. It's the first.

And it was announced March 1. And it's less % than the majors.

Example:

Quote:

BP to Raise Lube Prices

BP Lubricants USA notified customers that prices for Castrol and BP branded passenger car, commercial and synthetic lubricants in all package types will increase by up to 10 percent effective May 14. The company attributed the pricing adjustments to continuous rising costs of base oils, additives, packaging and transportation.

https://pubs.lubesngreases.com/lubereport-americas/1_16/

This thread is misleading. There is one price increase this year ("another"?), Amsoil is really trying to hold the line, but additives go up, but never seem to go down in price. Oil prices are going up as well, if you hadn't noticed.

I mean if I want to crank about something, when oil goes up - lubricants, even synthetics go up. Rarely do the prices of lubricants come back down.

According to this thread from January of this year, it's at least the second price increase.

Just realized my link didn't post right. Here's the link. To be fair, I did confuse the announced scheduled price increase as an increase of it's own. So there's only two this year that I've heard of.

What does Amsoil offer in a typical PCMO application that M1, PP, AFS, Edge at ~$4-5 a quart don’t? IMHO, they are just really good at marketing... typical of a network marketing / franchise company.

Eh, no one goes crazy when the other prices fly up and down (like PP's jump to 27.50)

Bottom line-Amsoil is not for the penny pincher. Period. It offers value in longer changes and being a different but solid product. A few bucks here ad there are not a big deal when it comes to your 2nd biggest investment....

Since I seem to like to drag out the changes for my Cavalier, I have thought about giving it a try. I'm torn between this or Magnatec (sticks to parts) for a long term oil change.

Already planning on some of that ATF.....

Originally Posted By: ZZman

Everyone places different values on different things for different reasons.

Yup, how much do the seeming majority on here spend on their VERY EXPENSIVE hard core 'hobby' (for which there is a whole dedicated forum on here) because they consider it an absolute "necessity", or even their addiction to cancer sticks which some get downright militant about?!
confused2.gif

Of course, NO ONE on here will question them about spending many thousands of bucks at a time THAT, since it does not go along with the status quo "program" on here, and they will be set upon for doing such. (I don't care-I've always been a contrarian 'rebel' to group think, populism, and peer pressure.)

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
What does Amsoil offer in a typical PCMO application that M1, PP, AFS, Edge at ~$4-5 a quart don’t? IMHO, they are just really good at marketing... typical of a network marketing / franchise company.

Obviously not all that great at "marketing" given there are some on this very thread who have never even heard of them.
lol.gif

Their Signiture Series does beat all of the 'on the shelf at Sino Mart' oils for lower NOACK, relatively low SA while still having a BIG starting TBN, strong additive pack, LSPI preventing, D1G2 type oils.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Their Signiture Series does beat all of the 'on the shelf at Sino Mart' oils for lower NOACK, relatively low SA while still having a BIG starting TBN, strong additive pack, LSPI preventing, D1G2 type oils.
wink.gif

Yes it stands out a bit on paper, but is it really *better* inside an engine. Perhaps. Maybe. Hard to say, since you have to take their word for it because they won’t actually get their oils certified. Have a hard time seeing how it beats an oil like M1 EP or AP that can go 20k miles with good results at less than half the price.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Obviously not all that great at "marketing" given there are some on this very thread who have never even heard of them.
lol.gif

Just think, with the money they SAVE by having minimal to no marketing, they pass that savings on to the consumer and keeps their product prices even lower. Uhhhh, wait a minute....

Originally Posted By: JeffKeryk
How much does this stuff cost, anyways?
I have never even seen it...

There's actually (1) store - an Ace Hardware franchise - that stocks Amsoil but it's where I grew up 80 miles away from me (my Mom is still there). Otherwise, at least around here, places can only "we can order it for you" as they don't stock it. Then the independent sales reps only stock a limited number of products (the high movers) but will emphasize "you can order it through my website and get it in two days" while also mentioning joining their "club" which reduces the price slightly.

Waste of money when over the counter synthetics do the job just as good. I don't know how Amsoil still exists honestly, there's nothing really that separates them from the rest anymore. At one time that was the case, but not anymore.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Eh, no one goes crazy when the other prices fly up and down (like PP's jump to 27.50)

Bingo. At least if Amsoil says it's raising its prices, you know what's going on. It's not like Amazon playing roulette with prices or Walmart doing whatever they want, or, up here, where a normal retail price is completely unpalatable and you have to wait for the on sale price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back