TBI filter reeks of gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't remember for sure since the last truck I had with a round air filter was in the early 80's and it had a carb but when I checked my filter on my 89 (see sig) a few weeks ago it reeked of gas. I just don't remember if this is normal or not for this type setup. I checked to see if one of the injectors was dripping right after shutting the motor off and I'm not seeing any drips. It starts and runs just fine and the gas mileage seems ok. My thought process is this can't be happening while it's running since air is rushing in so it almost has to be happening after it's shut down.

Pop the hood then run it while you watch it - any leaks etc will be visible.

If no leaks run it then shut it off without an air filter and smell the throttle body to see if that's where the fuel is coming from

It normal for a filter right on top of the intake, when the engine is shut off the fumes are coming up from hot manifold that just had air and fuel going through it.

It is the breath of the beast.Look at the placement of the injector and add a bit of reverion etc and you have the gas smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back