Mailing a handgun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Returning a handgun to manufacture for repair,what mailing service is best and easiest to use
USPS,UPS or Fedex??
Thanks in advance. DD

I'd think the manufacturer would be able to provide some guidance. They should be the experts.

Individual can NOT mail a handgun, you must hold an FFL to use USPS. FedEx and UPS OK for individuals but they both require you send via Air not ground.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
Individual can NOT mail a handgun, you must hold an FFL to use USPS. FedEx and UPS OK for individuals but they both require you send via Air not ground.

This. Contact a local gun shop or FFL License holder and they will mail it for you for a small fee. Rates very by area and shop.

Last edited:

IIRC to and from manufacturer for repair is different and allowed. USPS NOT allowed. Agree 1000% on checking with manufacturer.

I had to send one to Ruger for repair. They sent a FedEx label. I packaged it up, attached the label, and dropped it at FedEx. After repair, Ruger returned it via UPS.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08

This. Contact a local gun shop or FFL License holder and they will mail it for you for a small fee. Rates very by area and shop.

Not necessary unless you just want to give away money to someone. The OP can use UPS or FedEx and mail it himself.

OP - You will have much better luck if you go to an actual UPS or FedEx location (like a shipping hub) instead of a "authorized shipper" like Kinkos or Mailboxes Etc. The third party places generally freak out when you tell them you're shipping a gun, but the people at the hub have been trained in company policy and handle it better.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
I had to send one to Ruger for repair. They sent a FedEx label. I packaged it up, attached the label, and dropped it at FedEx. After repair, Ruger returned it via UPS.

Similar experience with Walther.

I'm surprised that the OP didn't get detailed shipping instructions, including a label, from the manufacturer.

You may not ship a handgun by USPS. You can ship to a manufacturer or FFL via UPS or FedEx. UPS requires you ship through a UPS Customer Center, not a drop box or satellite UPS store, via overnight service, and you must advise the clerk that the package contains a handgun. That said, my UPS Center allowed me to ship one via second day air for a much lower fee. All the rules are listed on the UPS site.

Naturally the gun must be unloaded.

Individual can NOT mail a handgun, you must hold an FFL to use USPS.

FedEx and UPS OK for individuals but they both require you send via Air not ground.

Fixed it for you.
People tend to speed read a forum.
Last one I sent went Fed Ex grnd, 2nd day.

Last edited:
I’m assuming it’s under warranty but I’d get the part and have an FFL dealer repair it. I accidentally jammed my buddies 380 and $40 and a few hammer taps later and it was fixed.

if its a warranty issue ask them to send you a prepaid label to send it back on their dime. then box it up and take it to a hub or give it to a driver. make sure they scan it though. don't go to the franchise stores as they most likely won't take it.

FFL to FFL can use USPS or common carrier. UPS and Fedex require individuals to ship next day air, which ups the cost a lot, while allowing FFL to use 2nd day air. i have shipped a few guns back for service and they all came back 2nd day air .

requiring Air service is not the law, just policy of ups and fedex.

Ask the manufacturer for a shipping label. If its under warranty, they likely will pay for it.

If its not under warranty and you have to pay shipping, ask them for a shipping label, since they make dozens of them every day, and that you will pay for it with a credit card.

If that doesn't work, call ALL of your local FFL/pawn shops and ask them what they charge to mail a firearm back to the manufacturer. They can use USPS, and can ship it cheaper than you can via FedEX or USPS. My local guy charges like $10 plus postage, so about $20 to $25 ish to ship a gun.

I wich i could buy a hand gun in Finland. I have better chance to get licens of an assult rifle than a hand gun...

You can try and ask the manufacturer for a shipping label. Not all of them include that in the warranty. Some also require it be shipped to an authorized repair service or gunsmith but at your expense.
If that's the case:
If you tell them it's a gun the rate goes to $80 or more....for no reason other than to gouge as much money as possible. So...don't do that.

Field strip it and wrap the parts in bubble wrap.Ship it UPS...the cheapest option...gets anywhere in the U.S in 5 days. Insure it for the necessary value. Ship it from a Staples or other similar type store offering UPS type shipping..Mail boxes Etc...when asked what it is state, "Assorted metal and plastic parts". It will cost about $30. It will get there just fine. It's been done before without any problems. ..many times.

Last edited:
If you do not declare it they will not pay the claim if it is lost.

You’ve been given some good advice (and some not so good advice) already, but in my experience it is cheapest to have a dealer send it USPS if the manufacturer will not provide a label.

Here is some reading for you.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-common-or-contract-carrier

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-licensee-mail-handguns-through-us-postal-service

(Note “licensee” and “non licensee”.)

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_008.htm

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/firearms.page

http://www.fedex.com/us/freight/rulestariff/prohibited_articles.html

Last edited:
When's the last time you ever had a package lost by UPS or Fedex?
It's never happened to me with hundreds of packages delivered to multiple locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back