Toyota 4.0L v-6, Mobil 1 AP, 20k OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This vehicle is driven in incredibly dusty conditions. Along with lites of highway cruising at 90mph and alot of time in 4wd.
I have also checked the air filter and the seal lip was a bit buggered up on the OEM air filter. The band clamp to the intake was a bit loose as well, but didnt appear to be leaking. I plan to resample at 10K and see what it looks like.
Any comments?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Looks like you took it to the limit.
Dusty means severe service-right?

My daily commute is 45 miles of highway at 90mph, 25 miles of two lane at 70 and 5 miles of extremley dusty dirt roads. I do this 15 shifts per month and many times in 4wd for the entire trip albeit a bit slower. Then when I am off I use the truck for hunting alot and its a 60/40 mix of dirt to paved. The truck is very well maintained, but I would say these are definitely severe conditions.
I wonder if I would be better of qith Mobil 1 EP, which is what I ran from new, at a 15k drain given the dirt and the obvious increase in wear metals. Or maybe just go back to conventional oil at 7500.

I think 10k is a safe bet given your use. ( considering mechanical sympathy)
What oil filter were you using?

I’m guessing he will repost it without the personal info. The op has a unique commute and being in Montana with the climate and the speeds as he mentioned, I would seriously consider this a severe use vehicle. It gets worked.

On his suggestion of M1 EP, that could be a good choice if he favors M1. I might think about 10k oci.

The issues with the air filter and subsequent higher silicon has contributed to your higher wear metals. I would concentrate on sorting that before increasing your OCI again. Further, I would look at a different brand of air filter while employing some filter grease.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I would blank out your personal details.

When I lived in Montana, we never cared about that stuff.

Come on up and be a new friend.....
if friendship isn't the goal, you'd be target practice.

I also had high silicon and a lot of forest fire ash, some that made it through the filter. I am putting in a Fram Tough Guard air filter this summer. I’m just north of Montana and they had a lot of forest fires as well.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

if friendship isn't the goal, you'd be target practice.

Well said!

I can't see the UOA either....

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
The issues with the air filter and subsequent higher silicon has contributed to your higher wear metals. I would concentrate on sorting that before increasing your OCI again. Further, I would look at a different brand of air filter while employing some filter grease.

I replaced the OEM filter with a Napa Gold/Wix today. I greased the gasket and tighted the clamp between the air box and the intake manifold.
The air box did not appear to be very dirty so I am hoping it was just the gasket deficiency I noted in my initial post.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Originally Posted By: Bwalker

Your analysis looks like it disappeared.

Its back now.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I think 10k is a safe bet given your use. ( considering mechanical sympathy)
What oil filter were you using?

I used the Mobil filter designed for 20k. The name escapes me at the moment.

Viscosity just barely starting to thicken up just a bit... So that's a sign it was just about done. Nothing wrong with that after 20k miles of running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back