BOSCH D3422 cut @ ~3k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrQuackers

Site Donor 2024
Pulled from my SL2. Since I will be selling the vehicle soon, and I wanted to see another Bosch filter's innards, I pulled the filter, put on a MicroGard and topped off the oil.

Here is the link to the last one I pulled.

D3422

This one looks much better. Dome end plate pops right off but I don't think that makes a lick of difference. Very stout can!

I will post some more pics later.

Same thing happened to me with the Bosch distance plus.. For some reason the end caps pop off.
I dunno why..

^^^ Because the potting material sometimes doesn't bond well with smooth metal.

This filter looks much better than the last one that you dissected.
I'm glad to see this because I picked up several of these D3422's at the WM 'Clearance'.
I'm not that impressed with the QC.....considering that these filters were originally more expensive than the FU.

In the second picture down there is a small void in the glue at the center tube. Maybe it allowed oil to bypass, hard to tell if there is more glue further in. I think the caps aren't clean enough, oily, or too cold, or something. There is no glue on the end cap inner side so there was no bonding. Bad QC.

Looks very good sir. Thank You for c&p
smile.gif

Thank you car51
smile.gif

It is an honor to receive positive feedback from the king of c&p

Inlet holes dug into the ADBV as usual but did not cut through this time.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Does Bosch / Purolator use a corrosion inhibitor? If so and it is applied before potting, it would act as a mold release.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Does Bosch / Purolator use a corrosion inhibitor? If so and it is applied before potting, it would act as a mold release.

They might ... don't know for sure. But yes, if it's coated with something before potting it could affect the bonding. Seems to only be a Purolator thing - ie, "end cap popper".

In the picture the glue isn't flat like it should be if it ever was pressed on the end cap while soft. The top side may be flat can't see it. If the glue isn't flat like the end cap surface, it must have set before the cap was placed. I think it will leak.

You can see the outlines of the ends of the pleats in the potting material, so it was obviously all assembled when it was soft enough for the pleats to "sink" deep into the potting material. Just a bad bond on the metal end cap side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back