Used Values on Victory Motorcycles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a co-worker looking for a used cruiser bike, on a budget. Suggested he look at Victory's pre-owned, because their values are likely down on account of Polaris dropping production. How accurate was my info? Are they selling for depressed prices used?

I'd look on Cycletrader.com and see. I have owned more motorcycles than cars but gave up riding a few years ago. I suggest being open minded. If you run into a great price on a Honda Shadow, a Suzuki Boulivould...check it out out.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I'd look on Cycletrader.com and see. I suggest being open minded. If you run into a great price on a Honda Shadow, a Suzuki Boulivould...check it out out.

Totally agreed,maybe Kawasaki Vulcan too?

You have to ask yourself, "Why did they stop production" of it?. Sales were low, so reselling it won't be easy and probably be a PITA. Don't expect much in the way of aftermarket support, for a vehicle out of production. Even factory parts will be gobbled up by the bulk buyers, and the prices will be sky high because you can't get them everywhere.The Honda dealer by me has a few on the floor they can't give away. So I would be too anxious to pay top dollar for one. You can check NADA, KBB, and the completed sales on Ebay. Then average out what your model sold for , and what you should pay for one.,,

Used values dropping every day.
Less and less and less demand.
This is why Harley is closing the KC plant.

Those pesky millennials!!!

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
You have to ask yourself, "Why did they stop production" of it?. Sales were low, so reselling it won't be easy and probably be a PITA.

They almost started a couple years too late in the 90's...

Victory... the "OTHER American motorcycle" brand..

Good bikes, WEIRD styling designs sometimes, but the MARKET GOT SATURATED.

Even Harley Davidson is suffering sales...
My 1988 Softail is 30 years old.
I'm not in the market for a "new" bike, this one is just fine.

Originally Posted By: Imp4

Yup. Getting a youngster to pay top dollar for a geezer glide is a tough sell.

Originally Posted By: Ausfahrt

Coupled with the fact that we the people thought it would be a good idea to give loans to 18 year old kids with no money and no job in the name of education.

Motorcycles in general aren't selling well. Some of the European brands seem to be an exception for the moment. One of my buds has been trying to sell his Harley for the last 6 months. The only calls he has gotten is from scammers and people that claim to want to sell it for him for a cut.

Don’t even bother. Out of production motorcycle that was not really in demand will be a headache. Motorcycle sales are tanking. How many younger kids ride Harley’s? Even less ride knock offs. Dual sport, super motor or full on race bikes are all that have much of a future. The Harley generation is getting too old. Prices have peaked and are on the long slope down along with Muscle Cars.

Co-worker bought a Victory Judge a few months ago. Don't remember the price off hand, but know he had been looking at it for over 2 months before he finally put an offer for it, for quite a bit less than they were asking, and got it.

How much is he looking to spend? How much riding experience do they have? Victory bikes are big, not a beginner bike IMO.
Shadows and Boulevards are plentiful and relatively cheap, in 750 to liter + sizes and lots of aftermarket support.

You need to check your facts, Harley still sells nearly 50% of ALL motorcycles in the USA against ALL other manufacturers combined. So forget your "tough sell".
Interest in any physical activity without air conditioning is rapidly declining, its not just motorcycles.

As far as the OP. If his friend wants a Victory go for it, he just needs to keep in mind, depending how long he is going to keep it and whether he can maintain it himself that parts and service will become scarce. It was scarce before Polaris shut them down, it will be more so now.

Honestly a reason I would avoid Indian, (maybe), same reason, if the motorcycle market keeps tanking, Polaris will sell off or shut down Indian in a heartbeat.
Motorcycles are just a small part of Polaris business and they sell off, trade companies and shut divisions down like any other conglomerate.

At least Harley is a real motorcycle company and whether someone likes the brand or not, for gods sake, at least be proud that an American company is still the envy of the world and is still American.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the replies. Seemed to be some confusion that it's for me, it's not. I have the Moto Guzzi 1200 in my sig, no plans to get rid of it anytime soon.

I think that facts are that Harley is definitely the sales leader in the USA but they sell roughly 30 % of the bikes not 50%. Still a strong number.
Originally Posted By: alarmguy

You need to check your facts, Harley still sells nearly 50% of ALL motorcycles in the USA against ALL other manufacturers combined. So forget your "tough sell".
Interest in any physical activity without air conditioning is rapidly declining, its not just motorcycles.

As far as the OP. If his friend wants a Victory go for it, he just needs to keep in mind, depending how long he is going to keep it and whether he can maintain it himself that parts and service will become scarce. It was scarce before Polaris shut them down, it will be more so now.

Honestly a reason I would avoid Indian, (maybe), same reason, if the motorcycle market keeps tanking, Polaris will sell off or shut down Indian in a heartbeat.
Motorcycles are just a small part of Polaris business and they sell off, trade companies and shut divisions down like any other conglomerate.

At least Harley is a real motorcycle company and whether someone likes the brand or not, for gods sake, at least be proud that an American company is still the envy of the world and is still American.

Originally Posted By: cb450sc
I think that facts are that Harley is definitely the sales leader in the USA but they sell roughly 30 % of the bikes not 50%. Still a strong number.
Originally Posted By: alarmguy

Let me clarify. Harley-Davidson has a 48 to 50% share of the market in the United States of America on all motorcycles sold over 600 cc's.
It's an easy fact to confirm Google is everybody's friend at least they like you to think so haha.
It's also a fact that millennials Ride Harley Davidson motorcycles more than any other brand.

I'm not defending Harley just clarifying facts and fiction when I see comments like geezer mobiles which in itself it's a pretty derogatory statement.

Last edited:

This is true. The young guys at work are into Sportsters and Dynas for the H-D crowd. The older guys w/the money are going to buy something with the newer technology like the Milwaukee 8. I'm a "geezer" by some standards at 57 and even I don't want a bagger or touring bike. It's a special market and fewer young guys riding but Harley does make a good product w/parts support and aftermkt support.

Last edited:
As far as Victory, I believe the Indian Scout is a lot like one of their bikes, I forgot the name, so I'm assuming a lot of the parts will be interchangeable. Polaris said they'll make parts for 10 yrs, but that's really not a long time I'm thinking as my Dyna is now 11 yrs old and has a lot of life left in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back