1992 Honda Accord just replaces timing belt now ha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the check engine light on?
Did you do the water pump as well?
If not did you check the bearing of the water pump to make sure it rotates smoothly?

Another question what belt did you use and was the writing on the belt facing outwards?
Did you check the timing marks of the new belt before rotating the crank by hand 720 degrees?

Timing belt change usually involves a water pump change right? So the high school shop students had to drain the coolant?

Did you refill the coolant and burp out any air?

The water pump had already been replaced a year or two before so I didn’t bother doing it. And there are no check engine lights on. We put the timing marks in time and the lettering for the belt is outward.

+1 for a skipped tooth .

That's what happened on my 97' Accord .
Felt like the cat converter was stopped up.
Hesitated to rev over 5k rpms.

How does just skipping a tooth cause it to overheat? If the water pump was operating properly prior to the timing belt change and the engine is now overheating, then the belt was not installed properly (routed correctly). I don't see how you overheat from the timing being off by one tooth.

Does that engine have balance shafts and a second belt?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
How does just skipping a tooth cause it to heat up? If the water pump was operating properly prior to the timing belt change and the engine is now overheating, then the belt was not installed properly (routed correctly). I don't see how you overheat from the timing being off by one tooth.

Does that engine have balance shafts and a second belt?

This, maybe air in the system. Honda can be very picky with air. Burp the system, check if both upper and lower hoses are getting warm/coolant level is good and t-stat is operating properly?

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
This, maybe air in the system. Honda can be very picky with air. Burp the system, check if both upper and lower hoses are getting warm/coolant level is good and t-stat is operating properly?

Well he indicated the pump was not replaced and didn't say they drained the coolant, so I assumed that wasn't the issue.

Did you install the belt or you were there for the whole install process? No students able to mess the install while you stepped away for a bit? Maybe the belt was threaded on incorrectly around the water pump?

Was the cooling system disturbed at all? I know you said you did not replace the water pump. But was the coolant changed, drained or is it possible someone else drained it partially who did not know there was no need to? Thermostat? How about rad fans? Was the wiring disconnected?

Originally Posted By: Wrenchman798
Was the cooling system disturbed at all? I know you said you did not replace the water pump. But was the coolant changed, drained or is it possible someone else drained it partially who did not know there was no need to? Thermostat? How about rad fans? Was the wiring disconnected?

This is what I was going to say too. It’s possible that somebody working on the car assumed the water pump was getting replaced too since it’s such a common pairing to do both at the same time. Maybe they drained the coolant, realized they didn’t need to, and poured coolant back in it without burping all the air out of the system. This seems like the most likely scenario to me by far, because otherwise nothing about the timing belt change itself should cause overheating.

Its 99% most likely unrelated man. Just bad luck. If you did the pump recently it should be fine. Of course i would always double check while in there. Timing wont cause overheating. I skipped a tooth on my 4g63 mitsu once and it just ran a little funny. Youll know a mistimed engine if you hear it. It wont sound smooth like it should.. Do the usual diagnosing procedure. Check the thermostat. Check the radiator and heater core "out" hoses. If they are way colder than the in side you dont have flow. They should be only slightly cooler. Make sure you only use P-HOAT coolant like oem or zerex asian, and always use distilled water! This is especially important with p-hoat coolant from what ive seen and been told. I would check the thermostat and then backflush everything and see where you're at before ripping the engine back apart.

If the water pump was changed there’s probably an air bubble that needs to be burped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back