FRAM Extra Gaurd Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in Wallymart today and I was looking at the Fram Oil Filters. The Extra Guards and i saw it say new and improved

and it noticed they all now have Silicone ADBVs...
still paper end caps... However I guess this can be a good thing

Says it on box.. Has anyone noticed this?

Extra Guard® is the perfect filter for everyday drivers who perform oil changes at OE recommended intervals. Extra Guard® has cellulose and glass blended media that provides advanced engine protection for your vehicle. Engineered with a silicone anti-drain back valve, Extra Guard® meets all manufacturer’s recommended change intervals.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
Have you been hiding under a rock?

No just not been in wallymart in a while and we dont sell Frams at my work so it was I was surprised.

I’m still not comfortable using the Extra Guard or Tough Guard on my stuff. I did install a Ultimate Synthetic XG4967 on my new Toro ZTR.

Originally Posted By: MParr
I’m still not comfortable using the Extra Guard or Tough Guard on my stuff. I did install a Ultimate Synthetic XG4967 on my new Toro ZTR.

I've been using a TG4967 on my Hustler ZTR (23hp Kawasaki) for years. No problems and no oil usage with a once a year OCI.

Originally Posted By: Mantooth
I've been using a TG4967 on my Hustler ZTR (23hp Kawasaki) for years. No problems and no oil usage with a once a year OCI.

So you're saying the TG filter prevents oil consumption?

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted By: Mantooth

So you're saying the TG filter prevents oil consumption?

I think he said it..... what you got a problem wit it?

That same model gets around- I'm using it on a MF diesel sub-C tractor
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant

smile.gif

That same model fits a ton of Toyota's.

Originally Posted By: David1
I was in Wallymart today and I was looking at the Fram Oil Filters. The Extra Guards and i saw it say new and improved

and it noticed they all now have Silicone ADBVs...
still paper end caps... However I guess this can be a good thing

Says it on box.. Has anyone noticed this?

Extra Guard® is the perfect filter for everyday drivers who perform oil changes at OE recommended intervals. Extra Guard® has cellulose and glass blended media that provides advanced engine protection for your vehicle. Engineered with a silicone anti-drain back valve, Extra Guard® meets all manufacturer’s recommended change intervals.

Honestly I never used them and your post informs me regardless as most people are not on here 24/7
I got use to using only the Ultras- have some TG's here but the EG with this latest improvement would be nice on OPE
if you were a dedicated EG user. I may buy one just to look at-thanks

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Quote:
still paper end caps...

Not paper at all. They are a engineered fiber
material that has proven itself for decades.

My 2¢

They are fiber end discs

Thats the PC way to call it.. So when you hear fiber end disc... Its cardboard... read below form Wikipedia

Some say cardboard end disc because cardboard is a fiber based paper also.

Cardboard
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For other uses, see Cardboard (disambiguation).

Cardboard is a generic term for heavy-duty paper-based products having greater thickness and superior durability or other specific mechanical attributes to paper; such as foldability, rigidity and impact resistance. The construction can range from a thick sheet known as paperboard to corrugated fiberboard which is made of multiple corrugated and flat layers.

Despite widespread general use in English and French,[1][2] the term cardboard is deprecated in commerce and industry as not adequately defining a specific product.[3] Material producers, container manufacturers,[4] packaging engineers,[5] and standards organizations,[6] use more specific terminology

Quote:
still paper end caps...

My 2¢

I agree... I just feel more people like steel end discs.. However look at the B Distance Plus.. The end caps pop off all time.

Hey i like fram... I like FRAM ULTRA..

They are a great filter.

Also the fram Extra Gaurd is totally fine for a 3000 to 5000 mile OCI

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
I think he said it..... what you got a problem wit it?

I was just wondering why Fram didn't claim this benefit on the boxes?

Joking of course, but in theory you could read that the filter was a success in that it caused no leaking and thus no oil consumption although both are not the same and it was a quick post. So i read into it differently. No big deal.

My issue with the EG is at the mid three $$$ range and the short duration of use it affords, it really isn't a high value filter for the econo minded.

smile.gif

Which model? We have a MF 1635.

Been running the XG 10060 on my Sierras and it’s the same part number for my Hemi. Also been running the XG 7317 on my ATV with no issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: David1
Quote:
still paper end caps...

My 2¢

They are fiber end discs

Thats the PC way to call it.. So when you hear fiber end disc... Its cardboard... read below form Wikipedia

Some say cardboard end disc because cardboard is a fiber based paper also.

Cardboard
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For other uses, see Cardboard (disambiguation).

Cardboard is a generic term for heavy-duty paper-based products having greater thickness and superior durability or other specific mechanical attributes to paper; such as foldability, rigidity and impact resistance. The construction can range from a thick sheet known as paperboard to corrugated fiberboard which is made of multiple corrugated and flat layers.

Despite widespread general use in English and French,[1][2] the term cardboard is deprecated in commerce and industry as not adequately defining a specific product.[3] Material producers, container manufacturers,[4] packaging engineers,[5] and standards organizations,[6] use more specific terminology

So the media itself is cardboard also by this definition (and is cardboard in all cellulose/ cellulose blend filters).

Or you could maybe say the endcaps are cardboard and the media is paper.

... My issue with the EG is at the mid three $$$ range and the short duration of use it affords, it really isn't a high value filter for the econo minded.
On what evidence are you basing your claim that it affords only "short duration of use"? They're claiming 10k miles now, and are likely being conservative for legal reasons. Some people wouldn't consider that short duration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back