Oil Catch Can Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

I had a question regarding my 2018 Dodge Charger Hellcat with the 6.2 Supercharged Hemi. Wow, what a machine this thing is. Some people have been recommending a passenger side Oil Catch Can to separate oil from vapor. Is this something helpful for longevity, etc. Don't mind installing it...just don't want to play with warranty coverage, etc. What do you know about this? As always, appreciate the advice.

Thanks Olas. Wasn't sure what to do...surprised it is not standard if it's a benefit? Down side in not using one is it just gums up intake manifold and catalytic converters?

Last edited:
I love the Hellcat I almost bought one when I bought my 2015 pick up but the dealer wouldn't give me the deal I wanted. I bought a 4 plex instead. I would call Dodge and ask them if their idiot engineers left off the catch can. Get the answer in writing if a catch can is needed.

I am not sure what to think about them. They seem to be something that is reccomended on every car, but I have not seen any evidence that they prevent anything.

I think they came to prominence when they were one of the ways that you could combat intake valve deposits on the very first GDI cars.I have read here that cars have still needed to have their intake valves cleaned even with a catch can.

They definitely filter the PCV gasses, I think it is more of a peace of mind mod. It is like a 3k OCI, makes you feel good about taking care of your car, but I do not think having a catch can is really going to do anything but keep your intake slightly cleaner. I think a possible warranty issue is not worth the effort.

For maximum effectiveness they have to be mounted low in a cool part of the engine bay, which means the lower radiator support area which is going to be a massive PITA with hoses potentially running across your engine bay.

For a heavily modified hot rod, I would install one. I bought one on ebay but have not installed it because I could not get the correct hoses for a price I wanted to pay. I think heater hose is not correct for some reason and silicone tubing what you want, but if you cannot find that locally it is cost prohibitive to order online when you only need 10ft.

I also think they are an easy mod for ricers. Like those goofy hooks they put on their cars.

Oil mist = top cyl and hot -side Intake valve stem lubrication. On an SC app it may even help there a bit. IDK. With a Pressurised intake system - I would TOUCH IT. Like a turbo it would not be the same as N.A engine I would guess.

Keep it off until the Warranty expires, the research carefully. Not all catch cans are the same. Cheap ebay ricer ones do nothing since they are not baffled, and the lines are close together. There are several good brands that are sold as vehicle/application specific kits. Some of the good ones are from Elite Engineering and Mishimoto and a few otheres. And yes they help keep the intake system A LOT cleaner especially if you go WOT often.

Last edited:
Thanks to all guys. Was leaning towards not doing it until warranty is up. Thanks again for the advice.

Funny you bring this up. I just test drove a Daytona 392 and the sales guy, who opens one, actually recommended thanks I install a catch can. Never heard a sales guy recommending alterations to the stock setup.

I have one and it keeps lots of gunk from going back into the intake. It's a simple mod to remove if need be. Am i 100% positive it makes a huge difference regarding intake valve deposits? No. But i know there isn't a downside either. I empty it into the used oil jug after every oil change. The amount seen below is after 1000 miles.

I don't know if your hellcat is direct injection or port injection... If direct injection a quality baffled catch can will help to keep deposits off of your intake valves. If port injection, gas from the injectors will keep your intake valves clean, and a catch can probably won't be of much benefit.
I have an elite catch can to install on my new Impala when I take delivery, and have a spare pcv valve to intake hose (GM part for only $20) if I ever had to take the car in under warranty.

Thanks...I'm embarrassed to say I don't know if direct or port injection...let me research. Great info.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Makes sense there with GDi and no port injector (I assume).

That looks like the WORLD engine:

Jeep, Chrysler, Mitsu, Hyundai

The 2.4L Thetta is strictly a Hyundai/KIA design/application.

Here is link to engine info: Engine Info

Here is an excerpt...don't believe direct injection:

"Revelation 8: The fuel lines are 0.5 inch in diameter to quench Hellcat’s thirst for gasoline, while the air-fuel ratio is regulated by using both speed-density and mass airflow calculations (doubling up was necessary to satisfy onboard diagnostics requirements). Although direct injection was considered, suitable high-pressure delivery pumps with the required capacity do not exist.

The eight fuel injectors positioned in the intake runners deliver up to 630 cc of gasoline per minute (or one pint every six seconds). The injector orifices are drilled at a 20-degree angle to aim the 17-degree cone of atomized fuel at the back side of the intake valve. Delivery is nearly continuous to ensure that adequate fuel to support 707 horsepower is delivered. The heat of the intake valve vaporizes the microdroplets of gasoline before they enter the combustion chambers. Two air intakes are provided in the Hellcat Challenger: one at the center of a driver’s-side lamp located in the grille, the other at the bottom of an underhood filter housing."

I think it is not DI...maybe someone can interpret?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I wouldn't hesitate to put a GOOD one on that car. The blow-by gases are fed back into the engine and The oily mist does nothing to lube the valves but it flashes into burnt carbon as soon as it hits those hot valves. And you can bet at full throttle the valves are really hot.

The first time you drain the gunk from can after a few thousand miles you'll understand why it is a good idea. To void a warranty they must PROVE something you did caused a failure. Keep in mind you are not disabling the EGR system you are in essence running it through a filter/separator only.

I have one on my 17 chevy 6.2 and have had it to the dealer multiple times and not a word was ever said about it.

"The eight fuel injectors positioned in the intake runners"... The Hellcat engine's fuel injectors are upstream of the intake valves, so fuel from the injectors will wash over the intake valves every time they open, keeping them clean. My opinion, a catch can isn't needed to keep deposits off of the intake valves. It will keep your intake runners upstream of the injectors a little cleaner, but it would be high mileage before the runners were gunked up enough to affect performance (assuming street use). I wouldn't bother with the catch can.

Really appreciate the info and advice. Thanks for the suggestions and insights. Take care all.

I found the most important thing is to mount it low and outside the engine compartment. I have mine on the sides of the frame near the radiator in the cool air. But I use cheap $20 cans. I have a drain hose on them and can get to that when I change the oil easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back